Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

Fernando

Quote from: polkablues on April 14, 2010, 11:37:49 AM
Cynthia Watros came back AND Ilana blew up??? They do read my letters!

really? although at first I didn't like Ilana she started to become a pretty interesting character and im really bummed that she's gone, and so sudden, at least for me that was truly unexpected, i hope we see her backstory but who knows.

and desmond just fixed lock's lack of interest in meeting dr. jack.

also it's interesting how none of the candidates went with alpert.

MacGuffin

Does Willy Wonka hold the key to Lost??

Lost viewers are all a-Twitter after seeing last night's episode, "Everybody Loves Hugo," as well as the promo for what's in store next week. (Spoilers ahead!)

While the episode killed off a major character and answered a question or two (while loading us up with more questions), twitterers were not only tweeting about the episode, they were tweeting about the odd use of a psychedelic bit of audio from the 1971 musical Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory that was inserted over the action in the promo for next week's episode, "The Last Recruit." Could the music, sung by Gene Wilder, mean something when it comes to the overall plot?

Here's a look at the promo:

That caused Twitter to light up:

@sonician wrote: "So with the overdub of Gene Wilder as Charlie, is LOST's island just one big Chocolate Factory, testing those to see who's worthy?"

@Tempestuous wrote: "Now #Lost finally makes sense: the island is the Chocolate Factory! But does that mean Jacob is Willy Wonka and Jack's Charlie Bucket?"

@scHarvey wrote: "And the award for creepiest use of a Gene Wilder, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, voice over goes to... #LOST"

@starbabyla: "Luv the Charlie and Chocolate Factory song that played during next week's #Lost trailer, completely describes how I feel!"

The wording in the promo has some of lines from the original removed. So you can delve into whether or not there's actually any hidden clues, here's what's actually "sung" by Wilder as Willy Wonka as edited for the "creepy" promo:

Willy Wonka
[singsongy]:

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going

[apprehensive, now spoken]

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of hell a-glowing?
Is the grisly reaper mowing?
Yes! The danger must be growing!

[yelling]

And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing!

[screams]

While the Lost producers are certainly messing with our heads, what we did get last night with the Hurley-centric episode "Everybody Loves Hugo" is just a touch closer to finding out some answers.

In the Sideverse, lucky Hurley (Jorge Garcia) runs into crazy Libby (Cynthia Watros) and they finally get that first date and kiss, causing Hurley to remember the island. Desmond (Desmond Hume) appears to be running around interfering with the Oceanic 815 passengers' lives. With Hurley, it's just a suggestion to visit Libby. With Locke (Terry O'Quinn), he runs him down with his car.

In the Lostverse, we learn that the whispers are the dead who've done something terrible and can't move on, Ilana (Zuleikha Robinson) blows up after being warned about that dynamite, and Locke pushes Desmond down a well. Dead Michael (Harold Perrineau Jr.) pops up to tell Hurley not to let the group blow up the plane (which would keep the Smoke Monster from leaving the island), so Hurley blows up the Black Rock and all the dynamite. Non-candidates Richard (Nestor Carbonell), Miles (Ken Leung) and Ben (Michael Emerson) head off to destroy the plane, while Hurley leads the candidates to talk to Locke.

Tweeps loved the episode:

@SS Career wrote: "In a world of conflict and strife, there is but one fact we all can agree upon, everybody love Hugo!"

@Aohora wrote: "'Dead people are more reliable than alive people ...' -- This is a HUGE clue about Jacob."

@ivanstanton wrote: "So very glad I stuck through Lost's middling third season cos right now, it kicks serious island-based arse re: 'Everybody Loves Hugo'."

Meanwhile, Benjamin Linus gets off the best line of the season so far: "It makes you think, doesn't it. Ilana, there she was, handpicked by Jacob, trained to come and protect you candidates. No sooner does she tell you who you are than she blows up. The island was done with her. It makes me wonder what's going to happen when it's done with us."

As Alan Sepinwall, from What's Alan Watching put it, "Well, we're clearly cooking with gas at this point in the season. Desmond's return has goosed the narrative stakes in both the sideways universe and the real one, two of the three island factions have finally come together, stuff blew up left and right, Des and Locke are trying to kill each other in the two timelines, and the sideways world again was used well to bring back a character whose time on the show felt like it came to too abrupt an end in the real timeline."

What "Everybody Loves Hugo" really offered was a chance for the wonderful Jorge Garcia to really shine, both comically and dramatically. If anyone wasn't rooting for Hurley and Libby to finally get that date and have that kiss, then they haven't been paying attention.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

My friend has a theory, that charles withmore is his own grandfather. Some how charlie (desmond's son) will travel back in time and richard's people take him in and raise him.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

picolas

that would be fucking crazy. i think darlton said they were done with time travel though.

rustinglass

Yeah I also thought it was far fetched but now the charlie and the chocolate factory tv spot makes me think that someone named charlie or charles will play an important role.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Gold Trumpet

If you're on my facebook, you've already seen this, but a good friend of mine is a finalist in a "Make Your Own Lost Commercial" contest and voting is going on this week. You have to login to Abc.com to vote, but she's a die hard fan and it's a good cause because she only has a few years of actual experience with editing. Very late comer into the scene, but vote for "Questions" by Meghan O'Donnell. Thanks.

http://abc.go.com/shows/lost/fan-promo-contest-vote

JG

lost is cruising; pieces coming together in impressive ways.

Pubrick

hey freaks, i'm a few seasons behind so i've avoided this thread, how long til the final episode?

(i wonder if i could catch up on dvd in time to watch the finale at the same time as you guys)
under the paving stones.

Derek

I think there's 4 episodes left including the 2 hr. series finale. Correct me if I'm wrong?

That was the best episode of the season, and one of the best of the series...great stuff!
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

diggler

the finale is on may 23rd (in the US). not sure about the rest of the world.

thought sun and jin's reunion was pretty corny (were we meant to think they were going to get zapped by the pylons? that whole scene felt goofy), but i like how everyone's coming together. i'm suddenly starting to find myself more interested in the sideways story than the island one.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Derek

I didn't fin the Sun and Jin reunion corny, I felt it was a bit rushed. I thought they were going to get zapped too. Am I the only one who can't stand Zoe? It seems to me that Widmore and MIB aren't fighting for good or evil, but simply their own interests...not sure though...they each seem willing to manipulate and sacrifice certain members of their parties to get what they are after. Giacchino's score was great....I agree, the off-island stuff is getting very compelling. And Island Claire needs a good shampoo.

Correction: 5 hours left including the two hour finale. Depending if you saw the first couple of seasons, you may be able to cram. The most recent seasons have been shorter.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

diggler

Quote from: P on April 20, 2010, 11:23:15 PM
(i wonder if i could catch up on dvd in time to watch the finale at the same time as you guys)

you can make it, season 4 was only 14 hours due to the writers strike.

Neil

You definitely can make it P. 

has anyone brought up the idea that "ghost hunters" use EMF tools to find ghosts or to track them or whatever, and as it turns out the island is emitting this huge magnetic pulse?  I don't know, just something interesting I was thinking about with regards to them being dead or what have you. Even though i don't believe that idea, it could correlate with the apparitions on the island, maybe.

After this episode and the last, I kinda lost the faith in believing they could pull it all together. But, you never know with this show.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

diggler

Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2010, 10:48:01 PM
After this episode and the last, I kinda lost the faith in believing they could pull it all together. But, you never know with this show.

this almost felt like a penultimate episode. with 5 hours left, i'm sure they have some tricks up their sleeve. i really hope they stop answering questions through throwaway dialogue scenes (michael looked like he had a hard time explaining the whispers with a straight face), but as long as they give the characters interesting conclusions i'll be happy.

polkablues

I felt so bad for Jeff Fahey, having to deliver the line "Looks like someone got her voice back," like it wasn't the most cornball thing they've ever put in the show. On the other hand, Sawyer referring to Lapidus as "Chesty" was probably my favorite Sawyer nickname ever.
My house, my rules, my coffee