The SEQUELS That Time Forgot

Started by modage, May 27, 2003, 11:35:48 PM

mogwai

Quote from: themodernage02sounds better than Van Helsing Too!
yes, but since van helsing smells like the decomposing pope i hope sommers gets his act together.

MacGuffin

Beatty Sues for Rights to Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy isn't on his way at least not to movie theaters any time soon. Warren Beatty wants to make a new movie featuring the comic book detective but has been thwarted by Tribune Media Services, which claims control over Tracy's character.

Beatty, in response, has sued the Chicago-based company for $30 million, saying Tribune violated a complex agreement regarding the Tracy rights.

Under the 1985 agreement, Beatty took control of the Tracy character from Tribune but was required to give it back at the company's request under several conditions and following a two-year notification process.

Beatty gave the rights to The Walt Disney Co. and in 1990 starred in and produced "Dick Tracy" for Disney. The film, which featured Tracy's catch phrase "I'm on my way," made more than $100 million.

In 2002, according to Beatty's lawsuit filed Friday in Superior Court, Tribune took back control of Tracy and notified Disney but not through the process outlined in the agreement.

Disney rejected Tribune's claim and gave Beatty back most of the rights this month, his attorney Bertram Fields said Monday.

Beatty is now ready to make another film and "has a very good idea" for the story but has been held back by Tribune's claim, Fields said.

Fields said Beatty's original agreement with Tribune was negotiated specifically to allow the 68-year-old actor a chance to make another Tracy film.

"It was very carefully done and they just ignored it," he said. "The Tribune is a big, powerful company and they think they can just run roughshod over people. They picked the wrong guy."

Steve Tippie, vice president of marketing and licensing for Tribune Media Services, said he had not yet seen the lawsuit and could not comment.

Tribune Media Services is a division of the Tribune Co., which owns radio and TV stations nationwide and newspapers including the Los Angeles Times.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sony Pics struck with sequel fever
An outbreak of sequelitis has hit Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"Hollow Man 2," "Road House 2 -- Last Call" and "I Know What You Did Last Summer 3" are in various stages of development at the company. It has not been determined whether the projects will be released theatrically or become direct-to-DVD releases.

"Hollow Man 2" is being produced by Red Wagon's Douglas Wick, David Lancaster and Vicki Sotheran. The story revolves around a Seattle detective and a biologist who are on the run from a dangerous invisible assassin gone rogue as well as the government forces that created him.

Swiss director Claudio Feah, repped by ICM, is directing from a script by Joel Soisson. A mid-August start date is scheduled.

Neal Moritz and Eric Feig, two of the producers behind 1997's "I Know What You Did Last Summer" and 1998's "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer," return as producers for "Last Summer 3." The story, which focuses on new characters who didn't appear in the first two movies, revolves around four teens in a Colorado town who are menaced by an assailant a year after a Fourth of July prank turns deadly. Michael Weiss wrote the screenplay.

A director is expected to be announced shortly, and a late-summer shoot in Utah is planned.

"Road House 2" is being produced by Tomorrow Film Corp.'s Yoram Pelman. Gersh-repped Scott Ziehl is in negotiations to direct. Jonathan Schaech, also repped by Gersh, has an offer to star.Miles Chapman is the writer.

An August shoot is being eyed for the project.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace

true, lawnmower man wasn't exactly a classic film, but i love the scene when pierce brosnan is inquiring about what happened to his neighbor who was chopped to bits by the runaway lawnmower, and one officer is asking another where the rest of the remains are, and the officer replies "the birdbath".

...longest run-on sentence ever
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Sleuth

am I the only one that remembers Snake Eyes 2:  Snake Ears
I like to hug dogs

modage

Neve Campbell to Scream Again?
Source: Icons of Fright August 30, 2005

Horror fansite Icons of Fright attended the Monster Mania convention in Cherry Hill, NJ this weekend and got updates about various projects.

Wes Craven told attendees that he recently had breakfast with Neve Campbell, who said she had recently spoken with the Weinsteins about coming back for Scream 4. Campbell apparently is seriously considering playing Sidney Prescott again in the highly-profitable franchise.

R. Lee Ermy was present and mentioned that the script for Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning was full of problems. "It was a tough read", he said, and originally refused the role until he could personally re-write his own dialogue for the prequel.

Don Shanks, who played Michael Myers in Halloween 5, also announced that he had been cast as the Fisherman in I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Ahem... BLOODSPORT 2!

Don't lie, you've been waiting for this day for what seems like...forever!! According to our man 'Alex' and the latest official Jean-Claude Van Damme newsletter (no joke, there really is such a thing), the Muscles from Brussels is ready to follow-up one of his first, and biggest hits, BLOODSPORT, from way back in 1988, with a follow-up. That's right, BLOODSPORT 2, bitches...it's here!!

-------------------------------------------
I must say that personally, this news that I'm quite excited about.  I love Bloodsport.  This movie already had 3 sequels, but those were unofficial.  This is the first return of Frank Dux (Van Damme's character from the first movie).

Garam

Dumb and Dumberer and Son of the Mask are future additions.

Even though they probably shouldn't have bothered, i enjoyed Psycho's 2 and 3.

modage

Quote from: GaramDumb and Dumberer and Son of the Mask are future additions.
yes, perfect.   :yabbse-thumbup:   the reason the thread was birthed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: modage
Quote from: GaramDumb and Dumberer and Son of the Mask are future additions.
yes, perfect.   :yabbse-thumbup:   the reason the thread was birthed.
Both movies in which the originals starred Jim Carrey, and the sequels did not.  This does not bode well for Bruce Almighty II (I guess it's called something else now, the first name of the Steve Carell character).

MacGuffin

Independence Day 2 Status
Was the sci-fi sequel scrapped?

It's been over two years since we heard any news on the Independent Day sequel. Back in the spring of 2003, filmmaking duo Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich were already preparing a new alien invasion story. Devlin was hard at work on a script and planned to write in as many characters from ID4 as possible. In an interview given around that time, he said he and Emmerich had an idea they were really excited about.

And that's about as far as ID4:2 got. Devlin moved on to other projects – in particular "The Triangle", a Sci Fi Channel miniseries that he is writing and producing. Emmerich wrote and directed The Day After Tomorrow, and he has several other upcoming features on his plate as well.

When work got underway on the new Independence Day, the events of 9/11 – still fresh in the public conscious – were cited as a major influence in the story. Could it be that events since then, both political and otherwise, have made such an idea less attractive? Devlin suggests, rather, that since sequels to disaster films never turn out well, he and Emmerich decided just to forget the whole thing.

"[The script for the ID4 sequel] was actually inspired by 9/11. And you know, there's a lot of good stuff in it, but it still didn't feel right," he recently explained to Sci Fi Wire. "[It] didn't feel like the right thing to do. So at least at the moment, Roland and I have no intention of doing a sequel to Independence Day.

"We finished the script, and we looked at it, ... we said, 'Yeah, it's good, but is it right?' …And so we actually gave the money back to 20th Century Fox that they paid us to write it. We said, 'Look, we can't take the money, because we don't want to do it.' And we explained our thinking on it, and, I got to say, to their credit, they agreed with us. And so they didn't move forward with the sequel with someone else. Now, I don't know if that'll hold down the line, but at least today they agree with us: that it was never intended to have a sequel, and if we did it, it would just be for the money, and that's not the right reason to do a sequel."

The decision seems clear and final: no more Independence Day films.

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 01, 2005, 01:31:25 AMThe decision seems clear and final: no more Independence Day films.
thank christ for that!

MacGuffin

Ninja Turtles in '07!
Warners, Weinsteins to distribute CG pic.

Variety reports that the CGI-animated feature version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will hit theaters in the U.S. on March 30, 2007. Warner Bros. will distribute the Kevin Munroe-directed pic stateside while The Weinstein Co. will handle overseas distribution. An international release date is to be determined.

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles represents a brand that is widely recognized all around the world, and we think this new CG version will be a huge hit among audiences everywhere," Harvey Weinstein said.

The new Ninja Turtles is aiming for a PG rating despite a "slightly grittier" approach than the live-action film series previously produced by New Line.

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

the weinsteins are getting desperate.

modage

the first Turtles film was pretty damn gritty, i dont know how a CG animated cartoon is going to be darker than that.