Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Drenk

They decided to play Creep as a gift tonight. And you know what? They had fun playing it. It was an amazing show. And there's still tonight...

I'll try to sleep.
Ascension.

N

Jonny plays a Harmonica instead of the Ondes:

Drenk

So. It was an intense experience. Two times in Paris, one time in Lyon in a roman theater...

I had never seen them before but they're in my life since 2007. In my life. I couldn't begin to explain how much their music is like a second body to me. Immerse yourself in love? I try. But I often immerse myself into Radiohead.

I went insane in the last months waiting for A Moon Shaped Pool. I have been waiting for that album as if it had the power to save me for years. As we all know, The King of Limbs was underwhelming: a fun experience, but it didn't deserve to be the only thing we would get in nine years. Anyway, Bloom is fantastic. Don't blow your mind with why. I've quoted that line to myself a lot since February 2011. I was in Paris when Thom played a beautiful version of Bloom on the piano. It was like...you know, I thought: cool, yeah, I did blow my mind with why, but that song is still there, still new.

Anyway! A Moon Shaped Pool is a fantastic album. A sad one, but that doesn't mean that sadness can't be beautiful. You kind of need an attraction to sadness to love Radiohead that much. That's the paradox. Listening to Radiohead is a joyful experience to me. It's like Thom Yorke smiling while singing awfully sad lines.

The first night in Paris was intense. I was in front of Jonny, second row. I couldn't describe the intensity in the air. The band seemed moved, they seemed to appreciate the moment—and I did, too, appreciate. I don't talk a lot about Radiohead in real life. Not so long ago, my brothers made fun of me when I was listening to Kid A. So it was strange to suddenly be around fans, people who are as intimate with the band as you are—you begin to say words out loud you've only written before. Keywords. The crowd knew Radiohead, was vibrating with me.

They played Creep that night as a reward, I think, the crowd was really amazing, and it was fantastic to have Creep because it wasn't about the song, it was about expressing our love.

Night 2: front row, in front of Ed. Great setlist, once again. My first Talk Show Host—one of the best songs this tour. Jonny's side is great, he does a lot of weird things, but I liked Ed's, too. You'll have your eye contact. THERE THERE! I can quote songs...They ended with Karma Police, Thom playing the guitar at the end while the crowd was singing. For a minute there, folks, I lost myself. I swear.

Lyon! Wow, what a great venue. It's a small roman theater. You could visit the place before. It was empty. The screens were on stage. It was small. And I saw Radiohead there. Front row, between Thom and Jonny. I was so close...I could high-five them, I think. It was an emotional night for me. The last night. I was anxious. Will I wait five years for the next time? But I was also glad it would end. Only because I needed to sleep.

They played five songs from Ok Computer that night, which is great but...well, you can't have a perfect setlist. I didn't get How To Disappear Completely—but I will, one day, I hope.

I've seen Radiohead! It happened! It was real! After years wondering how it would be...it was...and it was great. :)

Ascension.

jenkins

Pedro

So happy for you.  It's a beautiful experience to see them live.  Ed is so underrated; he creates textures with his guitar and pedals that are essential to the performance. 

8)

Tictacbk

FINALLY saw Radiohead live tonight. Made a short list of songs I was hoping to hear. Heard all but one. Needless to say, they did not disappoint... What a band! Also had Anne Hathaway and Innaritu walk between me and my friend within five minutes of each other, while we were waiting in the beer line. So that was a cool bonus. If anyones got an extra to monday's LA show let me know!

mogwai

It's their best record since Kid A in my book. Not that the other records are shit.

Myxo

Quote from: MOGWAI on August 12, 2016, 09:20:50 AM
It's their best record since Kid A in my book. Not that the other records are shit.

IMO..

Ok Computer
Kid A
The Bends
In Rainbows
Moon Shaped Pool
Amnesiac
King of Limbs
Hail to the Thief
Pablo Honey

Obviously Ok Computer will always be #1. It's untouchable. Kid A for how it changed the music industry. The Bends has way, WAY too many signature songs to not be a top 3 album. It's staggering how much they grew musically from 1993 - 1995. It's the album that put Johnny Greenwood on the map as a guitarist. I'm a huge fan of In Rainbows. It might be their most accessible album to date which is saying a lot for Radiohead. It's about as mainstream as it gets. I have MSP 5th.

Lottery

I reckon AMSP is their fourth truly incredible album along with IR, Kid A and OKC.

As I mentioned before, they managed to balance their experimental qualities with a level of accessibility in a way that haven't managed to do before. Either my third or fourth favourite from them. IR was definitely their most accessible since perhaps The Bends.

matt35mm

Y'ALL MOTHERFUCKAS DON'T LIKE HAIL TO THE THIEF???

Lottery

Not even the band likes Hail to the Thief.
Nah, but really, great album but with a bit too much content and some unfinished sounding ideas.

The King of Limbs is an album that gets better with each listen, there are only a couple of okayish songs and they sound way better live anyway. I'm glad people are warming up to it a bit more.

Drenk

Their disdain (or what appears like disdain) for Hail to the Thief is strange. They wished they didn't rush things and Nigel isn't satisfied by the mix, but it stays a very good album. I like/love all the songs. As a whole, it is strange. But The King of Limbs, as a whole, works better than Hail to the Thief without being a better album. So...

Have you seen the alternate tracklist Thom Yorke made for the album? It's awful.

there there
the gloaming
sail to the moon
sit down. stand up
go to sleep
whereiendandubegin
scatterbrain
2+2=5
myxomatosis
a wolf at the door

(I can't rank them. I just know that I wouldn't put The Bends in the top 3, even though I love that album and was very pleased when Thom Yorke played Fake Plastic Trees when I saw him in december...)
Ascension.

Lottery

Yeah, not a fan of Thom's tracklist. The album should always start with 2 + 2 = 5. As much as I like the album, beyond cutting a few songs, some of the songs needs to be reworked. There are some pretty weak vocal melodies on those tracks and a bunch of wasted potential with arrangements. This album has the most poorly implemented electronic aspects- I'm glad Thom took a lot of the glitchy beat stuff to his side projects. Tracks like The Gloaming are way better live when the band has another shot at arranging it. The production feels pretty cold and kind of limited at times as well. It seems like HttT happened when the band said 'okay, let's stop experimenting and just write some good tracks' but they came out the other side of Kid A/Amnesiac, confused and a little lost. So the album is a bit jarring and weird.
Still a pretty damn good album though, some exceptional tracks on it. I think HttT and TKoL have similar lows but HttT doesn't always reach the same highs as TKoL.

ono

There's an OKNOTOK rerelease of OK Computer in celebration of its 20th anniversary, coming out soon with some bonus tracks.  One of them is I Promise.  Video here:

Drenk

Out of the three new songs they decide to make a video for the song that nobody wanted? Weird choice.

I'm really excited for Lift.
Ascension.