Screenwriter
Jose Rivera

Cast
Gael García Bernal
Mia Maestro
Jaime Azocar
Rodrigo De la Serna

Synopsis
In 1952, two young Argentines, Ernesto Guevara and Alberto Granado, set out on a road trip to discover the real Latin America. Ernesto is a 23-year-old medical student specializing in leprology, and Alberto, 29, is a biochemist. The film follows the young men as they unveil the rich and complex human and social topography of the Latin American continent.

With a highly romantic sense of adventure, the two friends leave their familiar surroundings in Buenos Aires on a rickety 1939 Norton 500. Although the bike breaks down in the course of their eight-month journey, they press onward, hitching rides along the way. As they begin to see a different Latin America in the people they meet on the road, the diverse geography they encounter begins to reflect their own shifting perspectives. They continue to the heights of Machu Picchu, where the majestic ruins and the extraordinary significance of the Inca heritage have a profound impact on the young men. As they arrive at a leper colony deep in the Peruvian Amazon, the two are beginning to question the value of progress as defined by economic systems that leave so many people beyond their reach. Their experiences at the colony awaken within them the men they will later become by defining the ethical and political journey they will take in their lives.

Based on the journals of both Alberto Granado and the man who would later become "El Che"

Trailer Here

i'm very excited for this and i'm glad to see that Bernal is making more movies lately.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Pedro

bernal is about as sexy as young che.  this might work

So far, Bernal is 2 for 2 with me after "Amores Perros" and "Y Tu Mama Tambien." Therefore, I am optimistic this film will work. (If it does, this kid will be on as good a streak as late 90's Edward Norton.)

hedwig

Star of 'Motorcycle Diaries' Lashes Out Against U.S. Distribution Policies

The star of The Motorcycle Diaries, Gael Garcia Bernal, has expressed disdain for a Hollywood studio system that relegates pictures like Diaries to limited screenings in so-called art houses. When an interviewer for the Detroit Free Press observed that the movie has the makings of an art-house hit, Bernal responded: "What does that mean, 'art house hit?' Nothing. It still means that most people in your country will never even consider seeing them. These films do not get the chance to compete with the Hollywood films. They get tossed off as foreign and independent films like they are somehow not ready to compete with all that crap that Hollywood produces. Hey, where's my action figure? That's how I will know we are taken seriously, when I get an action figure." Diaries was shepherded by Robert Redford, who bought the film rights to the story, brought in director Walter Salles and writer José Rivera, and supervised its development at the Sundance Institute.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Harsh and beautiful. I love him.

Pas

Wow I didn't know that when Che wasn't busy being a dictator and slaving people in labor camps he helped lepers. And I tought those emo-teens wearing these t-shirts were stupid...so sowwy

hedwig

Che was never a dictator.

El Duderino

great great great film.....surely on my top 10 of the year

kotte

Haven't seen it but it looks good.

The trailer is very inspirational and wakes my passion for the human being and urge to travel.
That's a good trailer.

Ghostboy

I thought this was a very good film, but not great -- it was a moving travelogue, but I also thought it lacked the deeply felt compassion that was so present in Salles' Central Station. The scenes with the lepers were beautifully done, but it didn't feel quite enough like the turning point that I think it was supposed to represent, dramatically...and for that matter, dealing with the lepers (and the other people on the journey) should have been the turning point, and not the swim across the river.

But it was still quite good, thought provoking and well worth your time. I think it will prove an interesting counterpoint to Soderbergh's eventual Che film, though.

I hate those Che t-shirts so much. I love the image, and if someone silkscreened one themselves and gave it to me, I'd certainly wear it. But that they go for 20 bucks at Urban Outfitters is just disgusting. I also think Roger Ebert did well in his review, pointing out that Che should not be revered as much as he is.

Ravi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara_(photo)

Che Guevara (photo)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Uncropped original photo

Famous graphic

This article is about the famous photograph and poster-art image of Che Guevara.

Alberto Korda's famous photograph of Che Guevara was taken in March 1960 at a Cuban funeral service, but was published seven years later. The Maryland Institute of Art called Korda's photo, "The most famous photograph in the world and a symbol of the 20th century."

A modified version of the portrait has been reproduced on a range of different media, though Korda never asked for royalties from most of those who reproduced the image because of his belief in Guevara's ideals. However, Korda at least once claimed copyright over the image to prevent it being used in a Vodka ad. Korda was a lifelong communist and only wanted to cut down on blatant commercialization of the image, telling reporters:

"As a supporter of the ideals for which Che Guevara died, I am not averse to its reproduction by those who wish to propagate his memory and the cause of social justice throughout the world."

The most famous image of Che Guevara is the high contrast bust drawing that is based on the photo. This image was made in several variations: some in red and black, others in black and white, and some in black and white with a red star by Irish artist Jim Fitzpatrick, an artist most known for his depictions of Irish mythology.

It is interesting to compare the position of the eyes in the original and in Fitzpatrick's version. In the original, the eyes are focused on the area in front of Guevara; in the drawing, the eyes are looking into the distance. There is a heroic significance in this new position; the original is human, frail, and worried. Looking up, the drawn face is in an act of aggression, perhaps defiance or pride. In this simple gesture, the replacement of the eye-position, the image of Che is appropriated into an impression, a symbol -- from the original, complete, grey-scaled photograph of Korda. The new, two-toned version, the iconic image as opposed to the documentary photograph, is set for mass use.

Fitzpatrick's graphic was later used by Andy Warhol with the same graphic processes that he used on Marilyn Monroe pictures.

El Duderino

benicio del toro really looks like him

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: El Duderinobenicio del toro really looks like him

And will be playing him in the upcoming Che movie directed by Steven Soderberg.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

El Duderino

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob

really? i had no idea. i just pulled del toro out of my ass

RegularKarate

and his name is benicio and movies are in theaters

hedwig

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob

really? i had no idea. i just pulled del toro out of my ass

Heh.

Just fa kicks: