Blue Is The Warmest Color

Started by Drenk, August 16, 2013, 04:15:20 PM

Drenk

About love. First love. About being a couple. About being hungry.

Director: Abdelatif Kechiche
Stars: Adèle Exarchopoulos, Léa Seydoux
Release date (USA): 25 octobre 2013

Trailer

Best film of the year.
Ascension.

matt35mm

I am so fucking excited for this movie. If I had to pick a favorite genre, it'd be lesbian coming-of-age movies. Not because I'm a perv, as these movies tend not to be the sexiest, and the idea of lesbians isn't really more exciting to me, but because the emotional confusion of being 15 mixed together with society telling you that your desires are disgusting is such an effective mix for me. I also like gay male coming-of-age movies, and/or transgender films, but I do tend to empathize with women more than men in general, so the lesbian coming-of-age film really hits all the marks for me. You get that emphasis on the interior lives of the characters, and then when the sex happens, it is motherfucking fireworks.

AND this one is 3 hours long and the original title is THE LIFE OF ADELE: PARTS 1 & 2 which is lovely, not that BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR is a shabby title.

samsong

the secret of the grain is one of my favorite movies.  can't wait for this.

jenkins

Quote from: matt35mm on August 16, 2013, 04:35:57 PM
lesbian coming-of-age movies. Not because I'm a perv, as these movies tend not to be the sexiest
if you're not a perv or close to that, why you worried about sexy? joking, i know why. joking about usa, not you. the great american puritanism

go sexy if you want,

i like secret of the grain, and i like lesbian movies for reasons similar to what matt35mm described, and i like culture and counterculture, and i thought the cannes jury this year was a good jury. seems like a lock

MacGuffin

Sorry Little Kids: 3-Hour-Long Lesbian Sex Movie 'Blue Is The Warmest Color' Officially Rated NC-17
Source: Playlist

While issuing a lengthy decree about a number of upcoming movies and their respective ratings, the MPAA has revealed that the Palm d'Or-winning lesbian sex movie "Blue is the Warmest Color," scheduled for release in America on October 25th, will carry with it the restrictive NC-17 rating for what they consider "explicit sexual content." The ratings board couldn't even be bothered with specifics. They might as well have just given the reason as "ewww two girls doin' it," but that would have probably undermined their godlike power.

The movie, about a 15-year-old girl (Adele Exarchopoulos), whose life is turned upside down when she meets a blue-haired vixen (Lea Seydoux), won rave reviews at Cannes Film Festival (including our own) and eventually won the festival's top prize. A few weeks ago Sundance Selects officially picked up the movie for stateside distribution, while it was revealed that the movie would miss out on being up for the Best Foreign Film Oscar because of weirdly specific rules covering overseas releases. (It will still be eligible for Golden Globes consideration, for what it's worth, and will undoubtedly sweep the Teen Choice Awards, since there isn't a "Twilight" movie out this year.)

The NC-17 rating, created in 1990 following the release of two highly publicized, ratings-less movies ("Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" and "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover"), has a history of restricting the movie's commercial viability given that many theater chains refuse to carry NC-17-rated movies and some newspapers and television stations won't air ads for movies with that rating. The most high profile NC-17 rated movie is still probably "Showgirls," which came out in 1995 and was a big, glitzy studio movie (featuring a fairly high budget of $40 million) that unabashedly embraced it's rating, which at least initially was meant to designated a movie specifically for adult audiences. In the years since its creation, of course, the rating has curdled into some naughty scarlet letter just as salacious as the rating it replaced: X.

Recent ratings battles involving an NC-17 include "Blue Valentine," which bafflingly was slapped with the rating for what can arguably be considered one of the least sexy sex scenes in the history of motion pictures, and, hilariously, "This Film Is Not Yet Rated," a wonderful documentary expose on the MPAA which itself got condemned with an NC-17 rating for reproducing scenes from NC-17-rated movies. Legal scholar Julie Hilden has written about the MPAA's "masterpiece exception," which she feels the MPAA rewards for movies that it considers to be great works of art, explaining how Steven Spielberg's graphic powerhouse "Saving Private Ryan" slipped by with an R while this year's "Evil Dead" remake had to be heavily recut to receive the same rating.

We should probably remember, however, that "Blue is the Warmest Color" is a three-hour long French movie with lesbian sex sequences that many have claimed were not simulated. So it's not exactly fun for the whole family material.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Very nice. Makes me wonder why "I Follow Rivers" never took off as a trailer song the way that "Ho Hey" and "Little Talks" have. The movie looks good, too.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Can't wait to see this. And I'm glad "I follow rivers" hasn't been overused by trailers! It works really well here though.

Pubrick

Bloody hell that's an incredibly frank interview.

what the hell is wrong with this kechiche dude?

i'm amazed at how well adjusted these poor nymphettes sound after being through such a grueling experience. as far as filmmaking goes, the way they do it in Europe is so different from how it's done in the states it's kind of mind boggling. in america if someone gives a great performance, or rather if a director consistently delivers great performances in his films, actors will fall over themselves to proclaim their love for their leader. EVERYONE wants to work with PTA, woodsy, etc. not to mention all the actors that remain loyal to their directors, like joaquin phoenix with james gray, leo and marty etc.

we see it historically too in European cinema like with truffaut and leaud, but there is another trend that reflects a lot of truth at least in this part of the interview:

QuoteLéa: The thing is, in France, it's not like in the States. The director has all the power. When you're an actor on a film in France and you sign the contract, you have to give yourself, and in a way you're trapped.

it's not just true of france. i think of the relation with Von Trier and his actors, who all give the performances of their life. i think of the people who come back. they are SICK! Skarsgard, Kier, Gainsbourg, these are bona fide pervs of a high order. haha. it's a different kind of relationship.

so when you see that this film has such incredible performances, the director still gets some credit and this comment doesn't seem to take anything away from it:

QuoteWould you ever work with Kechiche again?

Léa: Never.

Adèle: I don't think so.

in america this would probably kill a director's reputation. here i think the dude will be just fine.
under the paving stones.

Lottery

He'll be stuffed in the difficult genius pervert category.

That really was one hell of an interview. Would like to see some more honest responses from actors and crew in interviews like that.
Didn't know much about this movie except that it as 3 hour lesbian film that was awesome at Cannes.

Drenk

I'll try to explain what is happening with Kechiche in France right now. The Kechiche bashing became a national sport.

Kechiche had the reputation of being difficult. Now he has the reputation of being a bastard. Is he, really? Personally, I don't care. If a bastard is one of the few directors in France able to make great films, so be it. During Cannes, some technicians talked about long hours of works during months, not being payed extra-hours. Polemic. And that's the only real issue. They work hard, during a lot of time, not being payed for everything, and they don't win a Palme d'Or.

And lot of people hate Kechiche because, as they say, he pretends to be a "humanist" but, actually, HE'S THE DEVIL. But it feels as if they were saying: "He's a bastard, that's why I hate his films!"

And the movie isn't out yet, I've seen a premiere at Paris in May, but a lot of people don't even know about what they're talking about.

And it's a "lesbian film"; this year, the homosexual marriage became legal in France. But during months, families against it came to Paris in buses, protesting in the street with their young children shouting . So you have those people talking about "gay propaganda" (and the gay propaganda is made by a guy called Abdelatif! Arabs and gays!)

It's the first time that the actors complain, though. With 750 hours of rush, I can understand. It was unusually hard for a Kechiche, but it was still a Kechiche; they knew his method. And, yes, they're well adjusted, they won The Palme d'Or. Spielberg gave the Palme d'Or to Léa, Adèle and Kechiche. He can't do that because at Cannes it's impossible to give a prize to the actors and to the film but he's Spielberg.

Anyway, the french did sensationalism with this interview, but Léa and Seydoux tried to stop the fire, saying it was hard but that they learned a lot. Adèle will be a star because of Kechiche.
Ascension.

Just Withnail

DP/30 interviews. The conflict is downplayed and everyone ultimately seems happy with the results. Great insights into the process. 

with the stars Seydoux and Exarchopolous

and Kechiche

part 1

part 2

Drenk

"_You did an interview with the Daily Beast--
_Oh, the fucking Daily Beast!"

New trailer. No dialogue. Just music.

Ascension.

jenkins

beach house is the music. such a lovely trailer,

but there's a certain degree of frustration derived from the usa marketing tactic of skipping language in trailers for movies with subtitles. if subtitles bother you you're already less likely to see the movie, and i have to tell someone "there are going to be subtitles. they're not mentioning them for some reason"