Hitchcock

Started by jmj, March 14, 2003, 01:28:28 PM

grand theft sparrow

If RK hadn't already grabbed the NXNW shot, I might be hitchsparrow or sparrowgen right now. 

But that Strangers on a Train one is my favorite.  If there was an award for best acting in a photograph, James MacAvoy would win it.

But I wonder who cancelled at the last minute on the Dial M shoot?  At first I thought the would-be killer was David Strathairn.

Gamblour.

Quote from: hacksparrow on February 13, 2008, 02:55:52 PM
But I wonder who cancelled at the last minute on the Dial M shoot?  At first I thought the would-be killer was David Strathairn.

Same here, he would've been great.

Between this and Marty's little wine commercial nostalgia, Hitchcock homages have been among the coolest things to look at lately.

Renee Zellweger looks like Judi Dench, for some reason. And Marion Cotillard, despite just winning Best Actress, is my least favorite. Naomi Watts' acting in that still is better than any frame of Marnie, which is more about Marnie and less about her talent, which has waned recently, I think. McAvoy is definitely my favorite as well.
WWPTAD?

Ravi

Two-disc SEs of Psycho, Rear Window, and Vertigo

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/psycho.html

Title: Psycho
Starring: Anthony Perkins
Released: 7th October 2008
SRP: $26.98

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced a 2-disc special edition of Psycho which stars Anthony Perkins, and Janet Leigh. The set will be available to own from the 7th October, and should retail at $26.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Mono track. The full disc specifications are attached below, along with our first look at the official package artwork:

Quote:
Disc 1 (Side A)

• Feature Commentary with Stephen Rebello (author of "Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho")
• Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho
• The Shower Scene
• The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass
• The Psycho Archives
• Posters and Psycho Ads
• Lobby Cards
• Behind-the-Scenes Photographs
• Production Photographs
• Production Notes
• Theatrical Trailer
• Re-Release Trailers

Disc 2 (Side A): Bonus Disc

• The Making of Psycho
• In the Master's Shadow: Hitchcock's Legacy
• Hitchcock / Truffaut Interview Excerpts
• Alfred Hitchcock Presents "Lamb to the Slaughter"

Title: Rear Window
Starring: James Stewart

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has officially announced a new special edition of Rear Window which stars James Stewart, Grace Kelly, and Raymond Burr. The 2-disc set will be available to own from the 7th October, and should retail at around $26.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Mono track. The full disc specs are listed below:

Quote:
• Feature Commentary with John Fawell (author of "Hitchcock's Rear Window: The Well-Made Film")
• Production Photographs
• Production Notes
• Theatrical Trailer
• Re-Release Trailer Narrated by James Stewart

• Rear Window Ethics: An Original Documentary
• A Conversation with Screenwriter John Michael Hayes
• Pure Cinema: Through the Eyes of the Master
• Breaking Barriers: The Sound of Hitchcock
• Alfred Hitchcock Presents "Mr. Blanchard's Secret"

Title: Vertigo
Starring: James Stewart

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced a special edition of Vertigo which stars James Stewart, and Kim Novak. The Alfred Hitchcock film will be available to own from the 7th October, and should retail at around $26.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Mono tracks. We've attached the full disc specifications below:

Quote:
Disc 1 (Side A)

• Feature Commentary with Associate Producer Herbert Coleman, Restoration Team Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz and Other Vertigo Participants
• Feature Commentary with Director William Friedkin
• Foreign Censorship Ending
• The Vertigo Archives
• Production Notes
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Restoration Theatrical Trailer

• Obsessed with Vertigo: New Life for Hitchcock's Masterpiece
• Partners in Crime: Hitchcock's Collaborators
• Alfred Hitchcock Presents "The Case of Mr. Pelham"

tpfkabi

i have the SE's of Psycho and Vertigo, so i don't know if these are justified. the Hitchcock/Truffaut interview excerpts - i guess these are audio? i would doubt they filmed those as it was quite a long process i believe.
i'm not digging those last two covers.
jimmy's face on Vertigo is the kind you'd see on a b-movie cover.
seems weird to just tack on an ep of his tv show.
i'm guessing there must be some correlation - maybe an actor/ress in the film was in the ep or something.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ravi

Quote from: bigideas on July 08, 2008, 03:31:59 PM
i have the SE's of Psycho and Vertigo, so i don't know if these are justified.

The previous DVDs of Psycho and Vertigo are non-anamorphic, though they are available with anamorphic transfers in the Masterpiece Collection.  I'm sure these will eventually be released on Blu-ray.

w/o horse

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/index.html

QuoteHello again. The buzz this week is about Psycho. Several web boards have mentioned the existence of an uncut copy shown on German television -- Tim Lucas tipped off the rest of us at his Video Watchblog a few days back. Back in 1998 Savant reported on the curious inclusion of cut frame grabs in the Truffaut/Hitchcock book, but my conclusions there appear to have been wrong. Hitch didn't give Truffaut the peek-a-boo frames as a prank.

The core evidence is at a German site called Schnittberichte that specializes in cataloguing cut scenes. On their page can be seen images from two of the three scenes in contention. It appears that the extra five seconds of shots showing Norman Bates watching Marion Crane disrobe were officially part of the movie, and not just an outtake as shown in making-of extras on the Psycho special edition -- in fact, the shots are said to have been intact in the English release. But this German telecast showed close-ups of blood on Norman's hands after the shower murder as well. Not shown on the site but alleged to be part of an "uncut" print are an extra knife stab or two in the famous demise of Arbogast, extending the fade-out the bottom of the stairs.

So fans naturally are demanding that the "uncut" version be restored, which brings up a tricky issue. First, Universal may not have intact printing elements for all the new footage on this pre-censorship version. But also, Alfred Hitchcock had twenty years in which to replace the scenes, had he wanted to; and he certainly had the ability to do so at any time, considering his power as a major Universal shareholder. When Psycho was reissued in 1970 or so the ads touted that it was complete, but the prints were the same standard U.S. cut. So it's difficult to make a case for anything but the standard shorter version as Hitchcock's preferred cut. Then again, the disrobing scene was included in an official release version (in the U.K.) so a strong argument can also be made for its restoration.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

cinemanarchist

To commemorate Hitchcock's 109th birthday a blog has posted ALL of the tapes from the Hitchcock/Truffaut interview sessions. I've got such a cinematic boner right now.

http://tsutpen.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Hitchcock%2FTruffaut%20Tapes

My assholeness knows no bounds.

tpfkabi

found out about this set, after finding out about The Lodger remake;

A DEFINITIVE ANTHOLOGY FROM
THE MASTER OF SUSPENSE

ALFRED HITCHCOCK
PREMIERE COLLECTION

Brilliantly Restored And Remastered, The Eight-Disc Set Includes All-New Commentaries, Featurettes, Screen Tests, Vintage Radio Interviews,
An AFI Tribute To The Director And More

Arriving On DVD October 14 From MGM Home Entertainment

LOS ANGELES, CA – One of the most influential filmmakers in all of cinema and voted the greatest director of all time by Entertainment Weekly, MGM Home Entertainment presents an extensive compilation featuring the works of a true Hollywood legend when the Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection arrives on DVD October 14. Nominated collectively for a total of 23 Academy Awards, these films are beautifully restored and remastered and feature titles out of print on DVD for several years. The eight-disc set is highlighted by Hitchcock's Oscar winner for Best Picture Rebecca, starring Joan Fontaine (Suspicion) and Laurence Olivier (Hamlet) in a dark tale of love and obsession. Silver screen siren Ingrid Bergman (Casablanca) makes an appearance in two Hitchcock classics; first alongside Gregory Peck (To Kill a Mockingbird) in Spellbound, as a young doctor in pursuit of the truth and next alongside Cary Grant (North by Northwest) in Notorious, a tale of crime, passion and espionage. Rounding out the collection is Peck once again in The Paradine Case as a lawyer defending a beautiful woman accused of poisoning her husband, the spy thriller Sabotage, the romantic murder-mystery drama Young and Innocent, the suspenseful high seas thriller Lifeboat and one of Hitchcock's earliest films, the terrifying whodunit The Lodger featuring an all-new anniversary score.

With hours of all-new special features including audio commentaries, featurettes, screen tests, still galleries, vintage radio interviews, an AFI Tribute to Hitchcock and more, the DVD collection also includes a 32-page notebook with trivia, production notes and more about the legendary director. Available for a suggested retail price of $119.98 U.S. / $159.98 Canada, Rebecca, Spellbound and Notorious will also be available as singe discs for a suggested retail price of $19.98. Prebook is September 17.

Rebecca Synopsis
A young woman marries a fascinating older widower only to discover that she must live in the shadows of his first wife, Rebecca, who died mysteriously several years before.

Special features:
· Commentary by film historian/author Richard Schickel
· Screen tests
· Making of Rebecca Featurette
· The Gothic World of Daphne Du Maurier Featurette
· Original 1938 Radio Play Starring Orson Welles
· 1941 Radio Play Presented by Cecil B. DeMille
· 1950 Radio Play with Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier
· Audio Interview: Peter Bogdanovich Interviews Hitchcock
· Audio Interview: François Truffaut Interviews Hitchcock
· Four-page booklet

The Lodger Synopsis
During a rash of gruesome murders by a serial killer known only as "The Avenger," a mysterious stranger arrives in London and rents a room with the Bunting family. Intriguing and reclusive, the Buntings' new guest soon earns the interest of their beautiful daughter. But when the lodger's strange habits and odd hours start to coincide with The Avenger's killings, the Buntings suspect they may have let a murderer into their home...and given him the key to destroying their lives!

Special features:
· 1999 Score by Ashley Irwin presented in 5.1 Dolby Surround
· 1997 Score by Paul Zaza presented in Mono
· Commentary with film historian Patrick McGilligan
· The Sound of Silence: The Making of The Lodger Featurette
· Hitchcock 101 Featurette
· 1940 Radio Play Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
· Restoration Comparison

The Paradine Case Synopsis
Beautiful Anna Paradine (Alida Valli) is accused of poisoning her older wealthy husband. Her barrister, the happily married Anthony Keane (Gregory Peck) takes the case but also lets his heart rule his head when he falls hard for his client.

Special features:
· Commentary with film historians Stephen Rebello & Bill Krohn
· Isolated Music and Effects Track
· 1949 Radio Play Starring Joseph Cotton
· Restoration Comparision
· Still Galleries

Spellbound Synopsis
When John Ballantine (Gregory Peck), the new director of a mental asylum arrives on the job, the staff is concerned. He seems too young for the position and his answers to their questions are vague and detached. Dr. Peterson (Ingrid Bergman), while knowing he is an imposter with emotional issues, nevertheless falls in love with him. Turning to her mentor, Dr. Alex Brulov (Michael Checkhov) and the use of psychoanalysis she tries to get to the root of Ballantine's emotional problems.

Special features:
· Commentary with film historians Thomas Schatz & Charles Ramirez Berg
· Guilt by Association: Psychoanalyzing Spellbound Featurette
· A Cinderella Story: Rhonda Fleming Featurette
· Dreaming with Scissors: Hitchcock, Surrealism and Salvador Dali Featurette
· 1948 Radio Play Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
· Audio Interview: Film Historian Rudy Belhemer Interviews Composer Miklós Rózsa
· Still Gallery
· 4-Page Booklet

Notorious Synopsis
Daughter of an accused World War II traitor, Alicia Huberman (Ingrid Bergman) is enlisted to entrap one of her father's colleagues in Brazil, Alexander Sebastian (Claude Raines). Her American contact, secret agent T.R. Devlin (Cary Grant) is openly contemptuous of Alicia and instructs her to wed Sebastian. It is only after she is wed that Devlin lets himself admit that he's fallen in love with her.

Special features:
· Commentary with film historian Rick Jewell
· Commentary with film historian Drew Casper
· The Ultimate Romance: The Making of Notorious Featurette
· Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Spymaster Featurette
· AFI Tribute to Hitchcock
· 1948 Radio Play Starring Joseph Cotton and Ingrid Bergman
· Still Gallery
· 4-Page Booklet

Young and Innocent Synopsis
In this witty, suspense thriller a police chief's daughter helps a fugitive accused of murder prove his innocence.

Special features:
· Commentary with film historians Stephen Rebello & Bill Krohn
· Still Gallery

Sabotage Synopsis
A woman learns that her movie theater manager husband is actually a foreign agent when a bomb he has made kills her brother. Based on Joseph Conrad's novel, The Secret Agent.

Special features:
· Commentary with film historian Leonard Leff
· Still Gallery

Lifeboat Synopsis
Nominated for three Academy Awards®, Alfred Hitchcock's World War II drama is a remarkable story of human survival. After their ship is sunk in the Atlantic by Germans, eight people are stranded in a lifeboat. Their problems are further compounded when they pick up a ninth passenger – the Nazi captain from the U-boat that torpedoed them. With powerful suspense and emotion, this legendary classic reveals the strengths and frailties of individuals under extraordinary duress.

Special features:
· Commentary by University of Southern California School of Cinema & Television Hitchcock professor and film critic, Drew Casper
· "The Making of Lifeboat" featurette
· The original theatrical trailer
· Still gallery featuring photographs from the set

Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection
DVD Price: $119.98 U.S. / $159.98 Canada
Order Due Date: September 17, 2008
Street Date: October 14, 2008
Catalog Number: M110985
Total Run Time: 594 minutes
Screen Format: 1.33:1 Full Screen
Audio Features: English Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Closed Captioned: Yes
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Our friends over at Warner have announced that the North by Northwest: 50th Anniversary Edition will street on 11/3 on both DVD and Blu-ray (SRP $24.98 and $34.99). The Blu-ray will come in exclusive Digibook packaging. Extras will include 2 new documentaries, including The Master's Touch: Hitchcock's Signature Style and North by Northwest: One for the Ages. You'll also get audio commentary by the film's screenwriter, a music-only track, a photo gallery, a trailer gallery, the 2003 TCM documentary Cary Grant: A Class Apart and the Destination Hitchcock: The Making of North by Northwest special hosted by Eva Marie Saint.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

blackmirror

I do not believe any film will ever surpass the intelligence and perfection of Vertigo.

Pubrick

Hitchcock talking to his leading lady is going round the internets right now as the first known recording of someone making a "that's what she said" joke.

his version is a bit different but still, what a filthy ole soomka!
under the paving stones.

polkablues

I had no idea Hitchcock was such a smooth son of a bitch...

My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Haha, awesome. I posted both of these on my blog with credit to Polkablues for his creation and Xixax for the great link.

jerome

hahaha

(also GT, John Hughes*)

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: jerome on June 11, 2010, 06:25:33 AM
(also GT, John Hughes*)

Haha, took me a little while, but I corrected it. That is what happens when you write something at 4am and not all of your senses are working. I gave John Landis a bad name for a few hours. Dumb mistake.