Favorite Female Singer-Songwriter

Started by pookiethecat, June 09, 2003, 10:08:07 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jay Tee Ema friend of mine tried to get me into Bjork, but the song she had me listen to sounded like a cat being tortured.

i'm still open to the idea of getting into her music, just tell me where i should start.
In order...

1. Human Behavior (Debut)
2. Army of Me (Post)
3. Alarm Call (Homogenic)
4. Hunter (Homogenic)
5. Scatterheart (Selmasongs)
6. Who Is It (Medulla)
7. Jóga (Homogenic)
8. Hidden Place (Vespertine)
9. Bachelorette (Homogenic)
10. Pagan Poetry (Vespertine)

These are some of her more grounded songs... Hopefully after these you'll get into songs like Immature, Undo, Where Is The Line, and some of the other Vespertine stuff, which can be quite flightly.

jtm

thanks for the advice guys!  and JB, i'll check out those songs you suggested, thanks abunch!

i've also got Dancer in the Dark on my netflix list.

imawombat

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca
Quote from: imawombatDefinitely Aimee Mann.

I also like Fiona and Joni Mitchell though.
wombat?

yeah-ima wombat! :-D
these things do happen

Finn

my favorites:

Aimee Mann, Tori Amos, Enya, Sarah McLachlan and Bjork
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Rudie Obias

beth orton, bjork, tegan and sara, fiona apple and stina nordenstam
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

polkablues

Set down whatever you're doing and listen to Nellie McKay (not to be confused with Bonnie McKay, who's good jailbait, but weak music).  This girl is the single most wildly talented, original songwriter to come up the pike in years.  If you're looking for a taste test, first hear "David", "Ding Dong", and "Inner Peace".  She's probably not for everyone (genre-hopping confuses the riff-raff), but the rest of us will be blown away.

Melissa Auf Der Maur's solo album is pretty cool, too.  Weird lyrics and not the strongest singing voice, but it's better than anything Hole or late-era Smashing Pumpkins ever did.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

not favorite, but listen to the song "Skywriters".  it starts playing automatically when you go to the website.

http://www.nicoleatkins.com/

i saw her a few weeks ago after my cousins band played a show and she was AWESOME.  voice a little like fiona apple, in a breathy old-ish big band style, with some 60's girl group harmonies and a little country.  she's awesome.  i need to buy her cd, cause i've listened to the three songs on her website like 100 times now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jtm

i just popped in to say thanks to JB, i am now a Bjork follower.

i went out and bought all her albums and i love it all.

ABKman18

my favorites, and I like a lot of them:

Aimee Mann
Fiona Apple
Cat Power
Neko Case
PJ Harvey
Joni Mitchell
Bjork
Lucinda Williams
Liz Phair
Nellie Mckay

bonanzataz

hey, so does anybody know where i can find bootleg kate bush music video dvd's? i'm having a big fourth of july party and i want to have them playing in surround sound on a loop in the basement for "counter programming."
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Reinhold

anybody hear of nicole atkins?

i saw her open for the long blondes the other night and really loved her set.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/9524519/nicole_atkins
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Ghostboy

I've heard of her, thanks to modage who was a fan since before she was famous.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reinhold

this happens every single time i post without searching.  :oops:
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.