Problems with the "Magnolia" script?? (& dixon

Started by kassius, June 25, 2005, 11:10:49 PM

socketlevel

i thought they didn't use the diner scene cause in the diary you see pta is really pissed with the way he was directing it.  i could have sworn there was this whole thing with him going "fuck, i just fucked it up.  we lost a whole day of shooting" or something like that.

also on the diary, pta talks about how the film was originally nine stories.  and how it was going to be 3 hours 15 mins.  it came to 3 so he for some reason cut dixon out.  maybe he didn't like the pacing of the film when that story was in it.  maybe you guys have heard this from the horses mouth but that's the impression i always had.

yo dixon's alright, why d'you guys hate him so much?  i think the line flub shows that he's a kid and that's the best thing pta could do.  it's pure moment when he fucks it up.  i'm with a couple others, i think he's good shit.  mind you i haven't seen the film in four or so years but i remember loving his rap in the theatres.  seemed metaphorical once the worm story was used less.  i was like, what the fuck is this worm business.  is this like the 8:2 shit.  it was mysterious.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Pubrick

Quote from: socketleveli remember loving his rap in the theatres.
u could decipher that gargling of words? i couldn't understand half the shit he mumbled until i got the dvd.
under the paving stones.

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrick
u could decipher that gargling of words? i couldn't understand half the shit he mumbled until i got the dvd.

All ya' had t'do wuz listen and ya' would gots' understood plum fine. What it is, Mama!

atticus jones

e z playa

i figured you all loved little dix...at least eye denta fried wif dem...

inniewhey...i still havent heard any real educated theory on the worm care actor...

i will clue you as to a cool hue...notice who big jim k finds sliding alongs once it starts to rains...sidewalks in the valley be covered with them creatures in this kynd of heavy weather...love that detail but i think i'm the only one...

lifeswork in the hands of children...what do kids know? coincidence
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Pozer

Quote from: atticus jones...at least eye denta fried wif dem...
shoulda said: denta fried wif ham.  dude, your slippin'.

NEON MERCURY

dix, would be trippy on the surreal life....

socketlevel

yeah i got it, or like 80 percent of it.  but it coming so quick was part of that mysterious feeling.  it felt like the kid was giving a warning for everyone in the film...  like he was some kind of prophet.  i really liked it and liked the way it was shot.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

72teeth

Did PTA really write Dix's rap or did he get help from someone,
Im going through the motions but i cant seem to find any rappers that are connected to PTA during`99, Through Fionna maybe?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

Quote from: socketlevel

yeah i got it, or like 80 percent of it.  but it coming so quick was part of that mysterious feeling.  it felt like the kid was giving a warning for everyone in the film...  like he was some kind of prophet.  i really liked it and liked the way it was shot.

-sl-

I saw Magnolia back when I was a full blown hip hop head and I couldn't understand what the hell he was talking about. If I had known what I know now he could have been nicknamed 1/2 cent.

And the way it was shot seemed really amateurish to me, especially a shot from the back of 1/2 cent's head centered right in the middle at the bottom, I laughed when I saw it but that was more cause I felt embarassed than anything else. I think Reilly even says something like "Be cool, stay in school" as he leaves. HAHAHAH. Come on.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

kotte

Quote from: StefenAnd the way it was shot seemed really amateurish to me, especially a shot from the back of 1/2 cent's head centered right in the middle at the bottom, I laughed when I saw it but that was more cause I felt embarassed than anything else. I think Reilly even says something like "Be cool, stay in school" as he leaves. HAHAHAH. Come on.

Kidding right??

Stefen

No, not at all. Why? Is that scene a breakthrough in framing and acting and writing?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

Whaaat are you talking about at all?  That shot was a.) beautifully composed and b.) set up a perfect beat for after the rap.
An amateur would have cut to that shot while the kid was still in rap mode.  You should be embarrassed for being embarassed and laughing out at a moment that was sooo in tune.

Stefen

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: 72teethDid PTA really write Dix's rap or did he get help from someone,
Im going through the motions but i cant seem to find any rappers that are connected to PTA during`99, Through Fionna maybe?

yeah uhm white people can rap too, especially if it's 27 seconds worth of lyrics.  Come on...the words coming out of the right person it could seem serious and not from skinny film geeks.
I dont know if any of you take the kid who plays Dixon seriously as a rapper, but neither did anyone in the movie.
The words were more like poetry with some rap tones, swearz, and epithets throw in for good urban measure. In retrospect it's actually pretty cool for such a small thing in the film.

JG

Hmm...here's a couple thoughts:  I'm pretty sure on the DVD behind the scenes footage, that wasn't Stanely.  Also, I think that the Dixon thing works great as it is.  His rap is very foreboding and sets a certain tone for the film.  I wonder if, and how, Dixon is connected the Jim getting his gun back.