Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Started by sphinx, January 10, 2003, 10:34:24 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: cronopio
Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: cronopioi'll watch it as soon as there's a watchable version of it  :yabbse-angry:

Full Trailer in Quicktime

a kickass trailer ,
thank you MacGuffin, you kick ass.
i expect a lot of ass to be kicked in this thread in the months to come.
under the paving stones.

meatball

UGO has a new trailer, which can be found here: http://video.ugo.com/player.aspx?articleID=13939&ref=ts. It kicked my ass all over the place.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

pete

I predict this movie will be forgotten as soon as war of the worlds comes out.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

meatball

You also predicted you wouldn't be a virgin by now, yeah?  :)

pete

your mom just made me a prophet.  and a man.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

meatball

Redlum

I saw this tonight. Highly enjoyable, I really knew very little about Hitchhikers so Im pretty neutral in that respect.

Great opening sequence and Sam Rockwell was hilarious. The Jim Henson workshop, creature effects are brilliant.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

I saw this last night, it wasnt very good....at all.  i didn't know anything about the books/radioplays/whatever, so i was just going in hoping for something funny and different.  well, it was DIFFERENT and i feel bad cause i have to give disney credit for allowing this movie to be made A. as OUT THERE as this was and B. with no real 'stars'.  because this is going to lose them a whole lot of money.  anyways, it was funny and odd as hell but really.... just not very good.  fans of the book may react differently, but as a film it just didnt do it.  i would've loved this movie when i was a little kid though, even if all the jokes went over my head.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Overall, the film is disapointing.

It's still good and entertaining, but it was a let down.
It had some great parts and some of the design was amazing, while other aspects of the design just fell flat.

One of the problems with watching it as a fan of the series is that it starts out pretty true to the book... so much that when the major plot points start to take a turn from the book's it's jolting.  The film really shouldn't be blamed for this, but it did have a negative effect.

I think that if the screenplay would have been better, this film could have really worked and I think Hammer and Tongs could make a great film... this just wasn't it.

modage

oh, i liked the jim henson stuff (see, you dont NEED to use 3D for everything, Lucas!)  i also liked the retro 60's 70's simplistic look of the ship and such.  this movie shouldve been made 30 years ago under Terry Gilliam with a bunch of the Monty Python cast.  then it would've been great and able to capture the material i think better.  overall it was C-.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: themodernage02I saw this last night, it wasnt very good....at all.  i didn't know anything about the books/radioplays/whatever, so i was just going in hoping for something funny and different.  well, it was DIFFERENT and i feel bad cause i have to give disney credit for allowing this movie to be made A. as OUT THERE as this was and B. with no real 'stars'.  because this is going to lose them a whole lot of money.  anyways, it was funny and odd as hell but really.... just not very good.  fans of the book may react differently, but as a film it just didnt do it.  i would've loved this movie when i was a little kid though, even if all the jokes went over my head.

Everything he said. Although I'd probably be a little kinder than a C-, and give it a C+.

Still, I'd recommend it purely on the basis of it being far more interesting and ambitious than most mainstream movies.

RegularKarate

I think it deserves a B-... just because you shouldn't factor in disapointment and expectations when you're grading a film.

The creatures were great and the opening sequence was great (both of them?).  I don't think that it needed a better director (Gilliam and Python would have been far too obvious and way over the top), it needed a better screenplay.

Pozer

i'd go with a B. Come on, let's get this thing up to an A some how.

squints

It was an A (so there!)...the sad thing is...i'm at the theater this evening and the two movies that just opened are XXX:State of the Union and this movie...i'm gonna go with Hitchhiker's Guide
i haven't read the book...but i must say i enjoyed sam rockwell's performance, was surprised by Mos Def, and just so charmingly befuddled by that fella from the Office
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche