Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Started by sphinx, January 10, 2003, 10:34:24 PM

Find Your Magali

Hmmm, very fun news, indeed.

Any rumors about casting?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Find Your MagaliAny rumors about casting?

Now that you mention it:

Nighy, Freeman & Davis Join Hitchhiker's Guide
Source: BBCi Films, Cinescape

BBCi Films reports that Love Actually star Bill Nighy and Martin Freeman (Tim from The Office) are set to topline sci-fi comedy The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Nighy says he's been cast as alien planet designer Slartibartfast in the long-gestating adaptation of Douglas Adams' novel. Freeman will play Arthur Dent, the everyday Earthling thrust into an interplanetary adventure.

"I'm a big fan of the book and the people who are making it are very cool people and I think they're going to do a good job," says Nighy. "It's a really good script. It's really, really faithful [to the book]. All the jokes are there and they're big fat jokes. It's wonderful. And with all the technology we have now, it can not only be a big satisfying comedy but I figure it could be quite exciting as well."

Nighy also added that a director is not set yet, although it was last believed that Garth Jennings would be helming the film. In an interview with Fangoria, actor Warwick Davis ("Leprechaun" and "Harry Potter" films) indicated he will also star.

In related news, Cinescape has received a scoop on where some of the filming may take place:

The scooper told us that Labrador Pictures will assist the HITCHHIKER'S production shoot in Iceland "either in April or August this year" and that the location will likely be on a glacier, as in the case with the soon-to-be filming BATMAN shoot. It's expected that the exterior shoot will only take up about a week or a little more of time and only cost the production about a million dollars. When our scooper tried to find out more information they were told that the scenes in question "will concern the white and dark planet (don't remember that from the book, though I've read it more than once."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

TheVoiceOfNick

I can't wait for this.  I'm excited to see what H&T can do with it.  A big-budget film is long overdue.

can't wait...  

btw, this is how Zaphod looked in the TV series

arthur  on the left,  prefect on the right:

and marvin, the paranoid android.

context, context, context.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: chuckhimselfoand marvin, the paranoid android.
Hey, that's a Radiohead reference!

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: chuckhimselfoand marvin, the paranoid android.
Hey, that's a Radiohead reference!
actually , it's the other way round.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: chuckhimselfocan't wait...  

btw, this is how Zaphod looked in the TV series

It's like half of Spinal Tap!

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: chuckhimselfoactually , it's the other way round.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

But I never realized the connection until now... who knew that British culture could be so self-referential?

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: chuckhimselfoactually , it's the other way round.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

But I never realized the connection until now... who knew that British culture could be so self-referential?

???

ShanghaiOrange

I'm pretty sure they got "OK Computer" from the Guide also.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

MacGuffin

A Prototype Marvin Design for Hitchhiker's Guide
Source: Coming Soon!

Word recently reached us that Warwick Davis ("Leprechaun") would be starring in the Disney and Spyglass adaptation of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Now, a source writes in with news that the very first piece of design from the movie has hit the net and it's the prototype costume for Marvin the Paranoid Android, the role to be played by Davis. It is not the final costume, however, merely one of several prototypes developed by Jim Henson's Creature Shop last September.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Freeman, Deschanel & Def Take Trip to Galaxy
Source: Variety

The Office star Martin Freeman, Zooey Deschanel and Mos Def will top the cast of Spyglass Entertainment/Walt Disney Pictures' feature version of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The story centers on Arthur Dent (Freeman), who is whisked off the planet by Ford Prefect (Def), an undercover alien researching "The Hitchhiker's Guide" just before Earth is destroyed to create a new hyperspace freeway.

Deschanel plays Trillian, girlfriend of Zaphod Beeblebrox, a two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and current president of the Galaxy.

Garth Jennings and Nick Goldsmith will direct the film, which starts shooting April 19 in London.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

I'm starting to believe this could lead to awesomeness.

Why did Douglas Adams have to die so young ?!

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Pas RapportWhy did Douglas Adams have to die so young ?!

Only the good die young...