The Terminal

Started by modage, July 17, 2003, 12:11:39 PM

mutinyco

This is kind of what I was talking about. Although it came in second at the box office, it actually GAINED 23% in revenue from Friday to Saturday, while Dodgeball lost 8%. It's early to come to conclusions, but I would read that as Friday's box office being supressed by mixed reviews, only for it to pick up on Saturday because of word-of-mouth. I think it's a low simmer.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

El Duderino

i took my dad to it today. we both thought it was pretty good, i thought the camera work was really great. i also really liked the closing credits sequence too, with all the signatures. the score was good too, sounded very Jon Brion.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Jeremy Blackman

Tom Hanks not able to speak English was distracting. Good premise, good cinematography. Exaggerated character with Catherine Zeta Jones.

Quote from: El Duderinothe score was good too, sounded very Jon Brion.
The score was the worst thing about the movie... it was sentimentalist crap. Especially when he's SPOILER riding away from the bar in the taxi. But I guess it wouldn't be as annoying without Speilberg's sentimental false endings.

mutinyco

As if PT Anderson and Wes Anderson weren't guilty of the same artificially happy endings...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: mutinycoAs if PT Anderson and Wes Anderson weren't guilty of the same artificially happy endings...

I can see what you mean with PTA's films (not that I agree with it), but I don't think Wes Anderson films have any reall happy endings...
Si

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: mutinycoAs if PT Anderson and Wes Anderson weren't guilty of the same artificially happy endings...
At least their music doesn't arrogantly twinkle at you.

The difference is that their happy endings are surprising, but you can see it coming from the first frame of a Speilberg movie (with the possible exception of Minority Report). And he makes you feel like the whole point of the movie is the artificially happy ending.

And Speilberg's "the world is perfect now" happy endings have none of the essential ambiguity of a PTA or Wes Anderson happy ending.

El Duderino

Quote from: El Duderinothe score was good too, sounded very Jon Brion.
The score was the worst thing about the movie... it was sentimentalist crap. Especially when he's SPOILER riding away from the bar in the taxi. But I guess it wouldn't be as annoying without Speilberg's sentimental false endings.[/quote]

maybe not that whole big orcestral crap, but i was talking about the music during the end credits
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Redlum

The ending of Bottle Rocket is tragic. Okay, slight exageration but 'bittersweet' doesn't encapsualte the sadness of that closing shot.

I wish people would be Happy with Spielberg's Happy Endings. I would hope that the Terminal's ending is truthful within the context of the film. Not where the context is that it's a 'Spielberg movie' but judging from the trailer the whole film seems like some magical tale. The premise of someone living in an airport terminal, offering obvious potential so simple that it could be some kind of talking mouse in Hanks' place, in a children's book.

Don't forget that Spielberg is capable of an ending with more than just 'ambiguity'. 'E.T' was really sad (that was at heart a childrens movie). 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' - Roy runs from his wife and children to chase spacecraft and ultimately abandons them in favour of some aliens. And maybe here's the change...in the documentary on the DVD for 'Close Encounters' Spielberg mentions how if he were making the film today he would never consider having Roy's character choose that path. He's a family man, now.

While the shot of John Anderton and pregant wife in Minority Report was kind of jarring, Spielberg really delivered on a great closing shot; pulling out of the log cabin passed the twins and then the helicopter shot across marshes. Kinda like the pull-out in A.I.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ghostboy

But don't forget that -- and this has been discussed and run into the ground before, but what the heck -- he did remove the brilliant last line of the MR screenplay.

matt35mm

which was?  (for those of us who don't know)

mutinyco

I keep telling you guys. His happy endings aren't always happy endings. A.I. and M.N. were NOT happy endings. I'm not going into this again.

As for PTA and WA, they're totally neat and happy. Dirk returning to Jack for their hug...Frogs raining and saving all those miserable people...Barry running through a maze of hallways and winding up in Lena's arms...Max fixing everything and getting everybody back together while staging his play...The Tenenbaums reconciling...

They're happy endings. Quirky films with happy endings.

-St. Joe

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mmwhich was?  (for those of us who don't know)
"i'm just so tired of all these minority reports."
under the paving stones.

brockly

Quote from: mutinycoI keep telling you guys. His happy endings aren't always happy endings. A.I. and M.N. were NOT happy endings. I'm not going into this again.

As for PTA and WA, they're totally neat and happy. Dirk returning to Jack for their hug...Frogs raining and saving all those miserable people...Barry running through a maze of hallways and winding up in Lena's arms...Max fixing everything and getting everybody back together while staging his play...The Tenenbaums reconciling...

They're happy endings. Quirky films with happy endings.

boogie nights does not have a happy ending dude. "I'm not going into this again."

rustinglass

the ending of sugarland express. not very happy.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

The ending of Lost World made me very happy  :-D
Si