Stephen Colbert

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 17, 2005, 10:42:49 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Ravi on November 16, 2005, 09:04:07 PM
Quote from: polkablues on November 16, 2005, 08:34:27 PM
Something was driving me crazy last night: does anybody know how... when he's debating himself and they're cutting back and forth, a la Gollum... how the righteous fuck do they make his tie change color?  My ability to sleep at night may depend on getting an answer to this question.

They probably tape him saying all his lines for one side, then he changes his tie, then they tape him saying the lines for the other side.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Or a wizard did it.

No, coz when you watch his face during the cuts, it's clearly all one take, just switching between the angles (although there were also a couple of prerecorded reaction shots that they cut in there).  It's definitely some sort of sorcery.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

What was the date/who was the guest? i wanna download this sucker.
WWPTAD?

Ravi

Quote from: polkablues on November 17, 2005, 02:18:44 AM
Quote from: Ravi on November 16, 2005, 09:04:07 PM
Quote from: polkablues on November 16, 2005, 08:34:27 PM
Something was driving me crazy last night: does anybody know how... when he's debating himself and they're cutting back and forth, a la Gollum... how the righteous fuck do they make his tie change color?  My ability to sleep at night may depend on getting an answer to this question.

They probably tape him saying all his lines for one side, then he changes his tie, then they tape him saying the lines for the other side.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Or a wizard did it.

No, coz when you watch his face during the cuts, it's clearly all one take, just switching between the angles (although there were also a couple of prerecorded reaction shots that they cut in there).  It's definitely some sort of sorcery.

Maybe they shoot it like that but change the tie color in post-production.

polkablues

Quote from: Gamblour on November 17, 2005, 10:48:50 AM
What was the date/who was the guest? i wanna download this sucker.

It was Tuesday the 15th.  I don't remember who the guest was that night.  They've done the self-debate bit at least once before that, as well.

Quote from: Ravi on November 17, 2005, 11:13:02 AM
Maybe they shoot it like that but change the tie color in post-production.

That makes sense.  That's a definite possibility.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Here's how they do it, I watched it, paid attention to his hair, and realized it:

I think that Stephen is looking into a mirror, and they have two cameras positioned, with a green screen behind him. The reason is that his hair and coat breast pocket flip sides every time. You'll also notice that his reaction is the same when the image flips, indicating that he's performing it real time. The tie changes colors because it's being green screened, you can see a slight green hue on his shoulders, plus there is slight flickering around his chest, probably some imperfections in the greenscreening. I've included a diagram:

Also, it may just be one image that they keep flipping with one camera. but mine's more fun.
WWPTAD?

72teeth

back and to the left....
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

yeah, the lines this man has...  'you can't outsource balls.'

context, context, context.

squints

a horrible sequel to....

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

squints

"i have a dreamsicle" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah   :bravo:
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

JG

anybody see when colbert interviewed ken burns?  best bit on the show. 

hedwig

i fell asleep before last night's episode  :doh: but monday's was pretty good.

"I don't know if I'm the first one to say this, but we need to maintain the purity of the blonde race."

Ravi

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117940055?cs=1&s=h&p=0

Posted: Mon., Mar. 20, 2006, 11:45pm PT

Colbert riffs put to paper
Anchor to pen a Book Report
By STEVEN ZEITCHIK

Call it the Book Report.

With his show a ratings smash, Stephen ColbertStephen Colbert is putting pen to paper for a comedy tome.

Title will be published in September 2007 by Warner Books, the same imprint that released "America (The Book)," the bestseller by "The Daily Show" scribes.

Colbert garnered a solid seven figures for the deal, insiders said.

Still-untitled book will feature many Colbert riffs but is not expected to feature an illustrated component like that of "America," which memorably included a collage of naked Supreme Court justices.

And unlike that title, Colbert will primarily write this book himself instead of collaborating with his writing team, insiders said.

Colbert was a contributor to "America" but not a lead writer.

"This book will have the same noble goal as my television show: to change the world one factual error at a time," Colbert deadpanned.

Deal was made with Trident Media GroupTrident Media Group agent Dan Strone and Colbert manager James Dixon.

" 'America' broke the ice in a big way for this category (of political humor)," Strone said. "But I don't think you'll see this book mirror 'America.' "

"The Colbert Report," based on an absurdist fake-news ethos similar to that of its "Daily Show" lead-in, has been a strong ratings performer since it launched last year, often retaining nearly the entire audience of "The Daily Show." SkeinSkein has been picked up for a full 42-week run.

Colbert also stars in upcoming ThinkFilm pic "Strangers With Candy."

After Colbert broke out with his own program, a book was perhaps inevitable. While many TV series don't translate to the page, "America (The Book)" was a monster hit when it came out in 2004, its textbook format a perfect satirical gun in a hot-button election year. Title sold millions of copies and spent many months on bestseller lists.

The paperback edition of "America," which will include new material, is due out in September and will be presented as a "Teacher's Edition," complete with corrections and cross-outs.

Just Withnail

Yeah, I watched that little piece of heaven earlier today. Colbert should be made the Patron Saint of owning.

Gamblour.

Wow, it's all really funny, but those tight asses don't laugh at all. Pretty ridiculous. The end of the car chase had me cracking up the most. And "glacier."
WWPTAD?