The Departed (Infernal Affairs remake)

Started by MacGuffin, February 13, 2004, 02:09:12 AM

modage

Wahlberg Talks About Battling Scorsese on 'Departed' Set
Source: Cinematical

If I were Mark Wahlberg, I would never say anything that could jeopardize my relationship with our greatest living director, the honorable Martin Scorsese. (If I were Mark Wahlberg, I'd also probably be writing this on a laptop made of solid gold while sandwiched between Jessicas Alba and Biel on an enormous pile of money in a mansion made of chocolate. But that's neither here nor there). Wahlberg doesn't seem intimidated by the legend, however. He is telling the press everything wasn't so civil between the two of them on the set of Best Picture winner The Departed. They didn't reach Lily Tomlin/David O. Russell levels, but things did get pretty heated. "Marty and I were constantly in this struggle," says Wahlberg. "I had problems with Marty."

"I was only supposed to do a couple of weeks on The Departed so I was able to grow my hair for Invincible, says Wahlberg. "But then the schedule changed and four months later I'm still working on The Departed, so I wouldn't cut my hair and Marty was pissed off. He was like, 'You've got to cut your f***ing hair,' and I was, 'I don't give a f***.' He was, 'I'm Martin Scorsese... da-dee da.' I said, 'Well, I'm not getting paid for this... da-dee-da. What the f***?' He was pushing me in different ways." Again, if I'm Mark Wahlberg, and Martin Scorsese tells me to jump naked into a room full of razor blades and then roll around in lemon juice, I'm jumping. But as we have already established, I am not Mark Wahlberg.

According to the former President of the Funky Bunch, the dynamic duo has moved on. "We were able to laugh about it afterwards and we have a great relationship now and we're going to do other stuff in the future." Specifically, the pair has been discussing both a prequel and a sequel to The Departed. Says Wahlberg: "I've never made a prequel or sequel to any movie I've done before and they will have to be better than the first one, but obviously, with a guy like Marty it seems like a pretty safe bet." I'll tell you what's a safe bet, Wahlberg -- making a sequel to Rock Star that's better than the first one. It would simply have to be.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

well i retract my supporting actor vote.

go abby!  :yabbse-smiley:
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Pacino Joining "Departed" Sequel
Source: Dark Horizons

Now here's a reunion worth salivating over - Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro.

Reuters reports that Al Pacino is being sought for a key role in the upcoming sequel to "The Departed" which focuses on Mark Wahlberg's foul-mouthed cop character.

As already revealed, the story revolves around the corruption of politics this time around as Wahlberg goes undercover to bring down a ruthless senator (Robert DeNiro). Pacino is tipped to play Wahlberg's new boss - a force veteran who may not be as clean as he appears.

In related news Alec Baldwin is scheduled to reprise his role from "The Departed," whilst things are moving forward with enough speed that the film could very well be Scorsese's next project.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Flannery

Wahlberg Says "Departed" Sequel Unlikely
Source: Dark Horizons

Dubious about that Mark Wahlberg-led "The Departed" sequel ever getting made? Don't worry, so is Wahlberg himself.

The actor tells UK Teletext that "Until I'm actually on the set it's not happening. It's about as confirmed as the Italian Job sequel, The Brazilian Job. Until we can make it better than the first one it's not worth discussing."

He adds "I've never done a sequel before, there's only a couple I can think of that were as god as the first ones - The Godfather."

MacGuffin

A Departed Reunion?
Scorsese reportedly eyes Boston hitman biopic.

Word out of Boston is that the creative troika behind The Departed -- director Martin Scorsese, screenwriter William Monahan, and producer Graham King -- might reteam for a fact-based Beantown gangster movie.

It was reported earlier this month that King's GK Films had snagged the life rights of Boston underworld hitman John Martorano. Martorano was an enforcer and assassin for James "Whitey" Bulger, the South Boston crimelord and FBI informant who served as the basis for Jack Nicholson's kingpin in The Departed. Martorano, who served 14 years in prison for killing 20 people, became a witness for the government and helped expose the corrupt relationship between Bulger and the FBI. Bulger's FBI handler is now in prison, while the ex-mob boss has been a fugitive since 1995.

Now The Boston Herald claims that "Scorsese met secretly with the Winter Hill Gang hitman at an Italian restaurant in the Back Bay while The Departed director was in town making Shutter Island. Then, according to our snitch, Marty had his longtime collaborator, producer Graham King, lock down the rights to Martorano's life story. It is also likely that William Monahan, who wrote the screenplay for The Departed, which Scorsese directed and King produced, will write the Martorano script."

Word of a Martorano biopic has caused a furor in Boston, with many -- including cops and his victims' families -- condemning the very thought of turning the executioner's life story into a piece of entertainment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

Alexandro

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Alethia

Notes on an American Film Director at Work: Martin Scorsese https://vimeo.com/417645977

wilberfan

I enjoyed that, thanks.

I secretly wish it had been "Goodfellas", tho.  Despite all the major star power on the film, I can't believe I actually said, "Hey, there's Radioman!" near the end.  Can we form a Cinephile Union and have this BTS footage made mandatory on every feature from a major (or upcoming) filmmaker?