The Departed (Infernal Affairs remake)

Started by MacGuffin, February 13, 2004, 02:09:12 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: GhostboyI'd be a lot more interested in this if they kept it in Asia; it'd be interesting to see Scorsese take on crime in another culture.

I'm happy about the relocation. I don't think the film would have done a serious portrait on Asia, but rather, through some excuses, put two good looking American actors into a picturesque environment to execute a story commonplace anywhere. What I don't like is that Leonardo DiCaprio has been given yet another starring role. Hooray for Brad Pitt, he's an accomplished leading man, but Dicrapio has the charm and looks that still feel he is in the awkward transition between a teenager and a man. He's still babyface and it still feels he has to pronuciate all his lines when he says them. Pitt's confident cool. I would have love to seen George Clooney in place of DiCaprio. Thats a "Hollywood Elitist" dream!

Weak2ndAct

I finally caught the original, and now I'm REALLY excited about what Scorsese could do with this story.  The original's good (yet flawed), and totally ripe for some fun sequences and turns.  I hope they change the ending... though they'd BETTER NOT change how, um, a certain character meets their fate.  I haven't been shocked like that in ages (and also pissed b/c in a script I wrote I had the exact same thing happen and even imagined to be staged as such :evil:).

Kal

Quote from: Weak2ndActI hope they change the ending...

If you see Infernal Affairs 2 and 3 you'll understand the ending of the first one :)

2 is a prequel and 3 is sequel

very well done

Fernando

From Joblo.com

Matt Damon has signed on to co-star with Leonardo DiCaprio in Martin Scorsese's adaptation of the Hong Kong film INFERNAL AFFAIRS. Scorsese's film will be titled THE DEPARTED and will change the setting of the film to Boston. Damon would play a Irish mob gangster who's infiltrated the police department through its cadet class while DiCaprio will play a Boston cop who's undercover in Damon's gang. The two race to find out who the other mole is before it's too late. Damon takes the role from Brad Pitt who was expected to star but instead will produce along with wifey Jennifer Aniston and their Plan B production company. Filming on DEPARTED likely wouldn't begin until later this fall once Damon wraps production on SYRIANA with Stephen Gaghan directing and George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh producing. Damon can be seen starting today in THE BOURNE SUPREMACY.

MacGuffin

Wahlberg joins Scorsese force for 'Departed'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Mark Wahlberg is boarding Martin Scorsese's "The Departed." Wahlberg is in negotiations to join Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon in the Warner Bros. Pictures police thriller, a remake of the Hong Kong film "Infernal Affairs." The story, set in Boston, centers on a gangster (Damon) who infiltrates the police department and a cop (DiCaprio) who infiltrates the gangs at the same time. The two find out that a mole is in each organization and race to find each other's identity. Wahlberg would play a cop who's a key figure in DiCaprio's life. William Monahan ("Kingdom of Heaven") adapted the material. Brad Grey, Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt's Plan B shingle is producing, while Vertigo Entertainment's Roy Lee and Doug Davison are executive producing. Warners' Dan Lin is overseeing the project.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Huh.  Does Plan B still exist with Brad and Jen's divorce?  I mean, are they still business partners?  Co-producers on this film?

Kal

I heard last week that Brad was keeping Plan B... but not sure.

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinWahlberg joins Scorsese force for 'Departed'
This would be 10 years since Wahlberg and DiCaprio worked together.  :yabbse-thumbup:

MacGuffin

Quote from: matt35mmHuh.  Does Plan B still exist with Brad and Jen's divorce?  I mean, are they still business partners?  Co-producers on this film?

Pitt and Aniston To Remain Business Partners

Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston have announced plans to remain business partners, following their shock split earlier this month. The future of the former couple's production company Plan B Entertainment was thrown into doubt when company co-founder Brad Grey announced just days before their split he would become head of Paramount Pictures. But publicists for the stars tell USA Today that their company has more than a dozen movies in the works which they plan to press ahead with - including this summer's anticipated Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, starring Johnny Depp. Several of the projects are high profile - such as the crime thriller The Departed, which is scheduled to start shooting in the spring directed by Martin Scorsese and with Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon starring. At one point, it was speculated that Pitt and Aniston would co-star in at least two Plan B projects - the romantic fantasy The Time Traveler's Wife and A Mighty Heart, about slain journalist Daniel Pearl and wife Mariane - but they're no longer expected to take on the roles.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

yay Boston.
there is a Jurassic Park 4?!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Jack Departs for Leo, Marty, Matt

Jack's back! And this time, he's super bad.

After a two-year hiatus from movie making, Jack Nicholson has agreed to star with Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon in Martin Scorsese's next film, the Warner Bros. police drama The Departed.

The film, an English-language remake of a trio of Hong Kong gangster flicks collectively known as Infernal Affairs or Wu Jian Dao, will move the story to Boston and focus on a war between the Irish-American gangsters and corrupt police officers.

The three-time Oscar winner will play an Irish gang boss caught between a cop (DiCaprio) deep undercover inside the organization and a Mob mole (Damon) who infiltrates the Boston police force. Things spiral out of control when one of the plants gets wind of the other and both men must race to get out. The Departed will also costar Mark Wahlberg

Nicholson tells Variety that he's been looking to get back in front of the camera again and was attracted to the idea of working with Scorsese, whom he's called a friend for "many years," as well as DiCaprio and Damon, both of whom he's met on several occasions--the latter while working on a charity benefit.

"[The part] could be interesting," Nicholson says, adding that he and the Raging Bull filmmaker have been "looking for something to do together" for some time.

"[I've been] looking for a bad guy," the 67-year-old thespian tells the trade, noting that his last three films were all comedies--2002's About Schmidt and 2003's Anger Management and Something's Gotta Give.

Nicholson quips that because his father, Jack, was Irish, "I won't have to act much."

The project will be produced by Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt's company, Plan B (the company remains together even though the couple has split).

With Nicholson on board, there's only one key role that remains to be cast--the lead female role of a police psychiatrist.

One reason the casting is taking so long is due to the busy schedules of DiCaprio and Scorsese, who have been making the award-show rounds to collect hardware for The Aviator, their second collaboration together after 2002's Gangs of New York. The epic biopic on oddball billionaire Howard Hughes snagged Best Drama and Best Actor for DiCaprio at last month's Golden Globe Awards and is the front-runner with 11 nominations going into Feb. 27's 77th Academy Awards.

Nicholson's last two movies, Something's Gotta Give with Diane Keaton, and Anger Management with Adam Sandler, proved he's still a big draw at the box office, grossing $124 million and $133 million, respectively.

The Departed is slated to begin shooting in April for a 2006 release.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

THIS WILL BE AWESOME.  NICHOLSON + SCORSESE = CLASSIC.   :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup: as long as he doesnt go overboard with some sort of lucky charms accent, which it sounds like he wont.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02THIS WILL BE AWESOME.  NICHOLSON + SCORSESE = CLASSIC.
COWBOYKURTIS ALREADY KNOWS WHAT THATS LIKE. DON'T YOU, COWBOYKURTIS?!!?

anyway, i'm so happy about this.. i am without speech.

Fernando

Quote from: themodernage02THIS WILL BE AWESOME.  NICHOLSON + SCORSESE = CLASSIC.

Quote from: cinephile
anyway, i'm so happy about this.. i am without speech.

This really sounds awesome!  :-D

Quote from: Mac Von GuffinWith Nicholson on board, there's only one key role that remains to be cast--the lead female role of a police psychiatrist.

Now, without knowing what age range they're looking for, Julianne Moore or Cate Blanchet should be on this one, although in the original they casted a younger acrtess. Maybe Kate Winslet, oh, but the titanic connection might get in the way...

ono

I REALLY THINK, MAYBE, PERHAPS, MR. MARTIN SCORSESE WOULD CONSIDER THE LOVELY MAURA TIERNEY FOR THE ROLE?  IT WOULD SURELEY GIVE HER CAREER ANOTHER GREAT BOOST.  I JUST HOPE SHE'S AVAILABLE FOR THE PART.

:CROSSESFINGERS: