New Dirs to add

Started by Greenaroo, January 08, 2003, 01:52:17 PM

Ernie

I just use DV now because it's easy to edit on computers and it's cheaper than film. When I become a professional filmmaker, I'm never using DV, unless they find some way to make it look as good as film.

Damn, I wish I could read that David Gordon Green interview. There's gotta be a link somewhere.

BonBon85

Quote from: ebeaman69I would never go on this site at a public library, it's suicide.

I was thinking we should have a "do not scroll down if you're in the public library" warning, but then I realized you'd have to put it up every time Cock Asian posts.

Ernie

Quote from: BonBon85
Quote from: ebeaman69I would never go on this site at a public library, it's suicide.

I was thinking we should have a "do not scroll down if you're in the public library" warning, but then I realized you'd have to put it up every time Cock Asian posts.

Lol, yeah, it's probably a loss cause trying to protect people from being offended by some of the threads on this site though, right? It's a read at your own risk type deal.

Rudie Obias

am i the only one really likes the DV format?  i love the way it looks, i love how easy it is to use.  the only thing about DV i don't like is how certain movies like TADPOLE use it.  why was DV needed for this movie?  it seemed like they should have used on film.  TAPE, WAKING LIFE and CHELSEA WALLS (not so much CHELSEA WALLS) were really good DV films.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Ghostboy

I agree completely, Rudieob, there are some movies where the DV is just gorgeous and the perfect medium. Aside from what you listed, I'll throw in 'Chuck & Buck' and 'Dancer In The Dark.' And two movies that came out this past summer, 'Sex & Lucia' and 'Lovely And Amazing' were both HD and they looked great.

We need to start a DV movies thread...

Rudie Obias

yes i totally forgot DANCER IN THE DARK.  i love this film.  i watched the extra features of the dvd and i can't believe they used 100 cameras to make this film.  the director even said that 100 wasn't enough, that he'd like 1000 cameras if possible.  that's fuckin' insane!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

phil marlowe

Quote from: rudieobi can't believe they used 100 cameras to make this film.  the director even said that 100 wasn't enough, that he'd like 1000 cameras if possible.

Wasn't it just for that train scene with Peter Stormare and Björk doing that musical act?

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Phil Marlowe

Wasn't it just for that train scene with Peter Stormare and Björk doing that musical act?

no, i think they used that for many of the musical numbers in the film.  but i'll check my archives and find out.

Newtron

Quote from: ebeaman69Yup, defintiely a fucking cynic. I'm not a genius but I'm not naive. How old are you anyway? I've been wanting to know that for the longest time now.

Look, not everybody wants to fuck little boys man, wake up! I know it's hard for you to grasp but pull a muscle and try for christ's sake. Jesus, your going to sit there and tell me EVERYBODY has dark fetishes and secrets?? Well, I'm the only person in the world that doesn't then, fine.

Who are you to talk anyway man? You have the exact same little arrogant wise ass attitude that a lot of the kids at my school do. What the fuck are you talking about?

Hahaha. Are you picking a fight with P? Kids and their hormones, gotta love 'em!

Oh, and I would like to add, before you lose what little credibility you retained after saying you like Duck Sauce, that for the record there is only one pedophile in Happiness and one extremely optimistic Jane Adams. Not only do you focus on the actions of one character and ignore the reaction of the community, you then act like this is meant to be a portrait of everyone in existence, do you understand the concept of STORY? Here it is one person's meditation on a particular subject, albeit skewed, offered as: what better way to study 'happiness' than in a 'world' where everyone lives in quiet desperation. About the fetishes and secrets which must've struck a chord...  Methinks thou dost protest too much.

©brad

Hehehe. Funny stuff.

My question is this- was it really necessary to not only capitalize but also bolden AND underline EVERYBODY in your response beaman? It's a bit much...

Cecil

honestly, can someone explain to me why being a cynic is such a bad thing?

RegularKarate

Quote from: NewtronHahaha. Are you picking a fight with P? Kids and their hormones, gotta love 'em!

Haha... okay

Hey!  You guys remember The Rentals?

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateHey!  You guys remember The Rentals?

I thought I was the only one who thought of that song everytime I came across Pubrick's name.

"If your friends with P, well then you're friends with me. If your down with P, well then your down with me."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

Quote from: RegularKarate

Hey!  You guys remember The Rentals?

hell yeah!!  matt sharp is great!  the rentals' "seven more minutes" is such an amazing album.  he was the whole reason why weezer was so good cuz without him they suck ass.  i just saw matt sharp a couple of month ago on his acoustic tour with greg brown (ex-cake).

ps
wow!  this is way off subject. :oops:

Ernie

Quote from: Newtron
Quote from: ebeaman69Yup, defintiely a fucking cynic. I'm not a genius but I'm not naive. How old are you anyway? I've been wanting to know that for the longest time now.

Look, not everybody wants to fuck little boys man, wake up! I know it's hard for you to grasp but pull a muscle and try for christ's sake. Jesus, your going to sit there and tell me EVERYBODY has dark fetishes and secrets?? Well, I'm the only person in the world that doesn't then, fine.

Who are you to talk anyway man? You have the exact same little arrogant wise ass attitude that a lot of the kids at my school do. What the fuck are you talking about?

Hahaha. Are you picking a fight with P? Kids and their hormones, gotta love 'em!

Oh, and I would like to add, before you lose what little credibility you retained after saying you like Duck Sauce, that for the record there is only one pedophile in Happiness and one extremely optimistic Jane Adams. Not only do you focus on the actions of one character and ignore the reaction of the community, you then act like this is meant to be a portrait of everyone in existence, do you understand the concept of STORY? Here it is one person's meditation on a particular subject, albeit skewed, offered as: what better way to study 'happiness' than in a 'world' where everyone lives in quiet desperation. About the fetishes and secrets which must've struck a chord...  Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Alright, let's just calm down now. I'm sorry for freaking out on Pubrick, I am just totally fucked up right now. Seriously, Happiness...the movie haunts me, alright. Everytime somebody brings it up, I just go crazy with anger. It's like, the only movie, out of all the movies that I've seen in the world, that truly disturbed me in every sense of the word. So, just let me be the pussy that I am when it comes to being scared of Happiness, ok? Thank you guys.

I apologize for my outburst(s), just take it with a lot of grains of salt because I am sick right now and my head hurts and...you get the idea. I am sorry, I apologize for what I did.