New Dirs to add

Started by Greenaroo, January 08, 2003, 01:52:17 PM

xerxes

that was uncalled for

RegularKarate

Completely unimpressive... once you have a word and it's corresponding back-word, you just strategically place them to make it a palendrome.

When it's just random words like that, it's just someone who wasted way to much fucking time.

RACECAR

MacGuffin

Michael Mann Directing Tonight, He Comes

According to Variety, Artisan Pictures has set Michael Mann to direct Tonight, He Comes, a drama that was scripted by Vincent Ngo and will be produced by Akiva Goldsman. Filming will start sometime in 2004.

The project is about a tortured superhero who crash-lands in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, and tries to revitalize himself by romancing an alluring housewife -- causing chaos in the city.

"I've always felt it was one of the best unmade scripts," said Goldsman, who'll produce under his Weed Road banner. "Anytime I've spoken to someone in a position of power, I've asked them to buy it."

"The character starts out potent and effective, and when the will to do what he's supposed to do wanes, he finds himself in this existential crisis," added the studio's Richard Saperstein.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mellow Fellow

Wait, what about Paul Thomas Anderson? That guy fucking rocks!
Some people say I was an embarassment to the nation. Well, I say, that depends on what your definition of "was" is, jerk.

ShanghaiOrange

Wait, what about Paul Thomas Anderson? That guy fucking rocks! :(

My favorite palindrome: Flower! Ew, a werewolf!
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Spike

M. Night Shyamalan
Terrence Malick
Alexander Payne
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

cowboykurtis

how the fuck can this be?!
...your excuses are your own...

godardian

Some of my favorites have been mentioned- Paul Thomas Anderson, Alexander Payne, the always-controversial Todd Solondz (misanthropy is WAY too unpopular these days!)- but one who I think of as equally promising has not.

TODD HAYNES
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Derek237

I really, really, REALLY think Oliver Stone should be added. There's forums for directors like Darren Aronofsky and Wes Anderson who've made very few movies while Stone has made more than a dozen- and counting. I know there's a question of quality over quantity but I think all of Stone's films are great. The only one I haven't seen of his is Salvador and the only one I didn't care for was U-turn.

Just tell me these aren't GREAT movies:

Platoon

Born On The Fourth Of July

JFK

Nixon

Scarface (was written by him)

Wall Street

The Doors

Talk Radio

Natural Born Killers

Midnight Express (written by him)

Any Given Sunday

and other great other flicks, too.

He really needs to be added, IMO. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Spike

Stone's great but I'm happy that two of my three favourite directors already are on the discussion boards: Wes Anderson and David Fincher. But my absolutely favourite directors has not been added to date: The incredible Peter Jackson.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

soylent greenish

ono

O mem sahib, Bart.  Rabbi has memo.

And there are too many directors forums already, IMO.  It'd just be nice if the discussions in those forums were more active.

*goes off to post*

_fps

A lot of you are probably familiar with Alfred Hitchcock - word on the street is that he was good.

MacGuffin

Quote from: _fpsI heard about this director named Hitchcock - the word on the street is he was good. Maybe he could get a board...

With only two pages of discussion so far, it ain't happenin':
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=811
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks