Best director @ Cannes 2001

Started by brockly, May 25, 2003, 04:38:20 AM

brockly

Who won best director at Cannes in 2001? I remember hearing that Joel Coen won, but just the other day I read in some article that David Lynch won the award.

So who actually won?
I think Coen deserved it more

brockly

Pas

Pozer

there was a tie last year as well with a director I know you fancy Brock

filmcritic

Clearly the best director at Cannes that year was David Lynch. He's one of the best directors out there and his film "Blue Velvet" and his most recent "Mulholland Drive" proves that.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

godardian

Quote from: filmcriticClearly the best director at Cannes that year was David Lynch. He's one of the best directors out there and his film "Blue Velvet" and his most recent "Mulholland Drive" proves that.

Coens are fantastic directors, too. Very different from Lynch, but I'm a big fan of both.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

Yeah, that tie couldn't have made me happier. They both deserve the kudos, in my opinion.

The Silver Bullet

PTA tied with someone too, didn't he?
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Silver BulletPTA tied with someone too, didn't he?

South Korean filmmaker Im Kwon-Taek for "Chihwaseon".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Silver Bullet

RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Sanjuro

sorry to bring this back but what movie won the palm d or that year?
mulholland?
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

ElPandaRoyal

Quotesorry to bring this back but what movie won the palm d or that year?
mulholland?

It was Nanni Moretti's "The Son's Room"
Si

Sanjuro

why didnt mulholland drive win?
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

rustinglass

good question, I have no idea.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica