what dvd from your collection are you most proud of?

Started by cron, December 21, 2003, 01:49:28 PM

every dvd has its own story.  most of them are generic, but there are dvd's that you  have  loads of words to write about.  

i, for example, can say that the 'Swordfish' dvd was the first one i bought.   i remember it was amazing to be able to change the language tracks.... see? that's John Travolta speaking in French!  

then  my tastes changed, of course.

The 'Amelie' DVD.   I remember the exact fuckin release date of that DVD . May 16.     I was so anxious to get it...  and like 6 days before  the release date  I  went to buy some things at 'Sanborn's '   ,  the Mexican equivalent to Borders  ,    and there it was...    I remember  that I literally started shaking, and bought the damn thing immediately.  That's when I fell in love with the format.

I also got 'Ghost World ' for 60 pesos   (6 bucks)  at 'Sanborn's '  . that was great, too. I had  been wanting to buy the DVD for very long but it was very expensive  , then there was a Sale.
context, context, context.

Stefen

The first two dvds I got were Chasing Amy and Being Joh Malkovich. The dvd im most proud of has to be the criterion Brazil. It just looks so cool sitting on the shelf.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

samsong

Link

Boogie Nights.  I bought it, I loved it, I was SO excited.  I went to a college for a couple of days, lent it to the guy who's room I was staying in.  When I got the box back, it turned out the movie was missing.  So now I have the case and the bonus disc, and I'm too crushed to go buy another one.  That one makes me proud.

Alethia

george washington

it was my first criterion

and my present avatar (EDIT: well, not anymore)

Kal

Still have a bunch of cool VHS from old times... some of them I replaced them with DVD... some I didnt... First DVD I bought is THE MATRIX... I was so happy I couldnt believe how great it was with the Menus and all the different options and features

Rudie Obias

my:

BATTLE ROYALE
WEST SIDE STORY
and
my director's label dvds

also my criterion collection RUSHMORE signed by jason schwartzman.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

modage

Quote from: rudieobalso my criterion collection RUSHMORE signed by jason schwartzman.

hey!  me too, we can be twins!  i guess also criterion silence of lambs signed by demme and boogie, magnolia and hard eight signed by paul.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

i would be proud if i had the BATTLE ROYALE DVD too.    i' ve been trying to buy the R2 special edition for a month...  amazon.co.uk told me to fornicate myself with an iron stick   so now i'm using  blackstar.     they told me to wait.    i bet i'm gonna be proud of that DVD if i ever get it.
context, context, context.

Ghostboy

I think my copy of PI is the only thing I have autographed, but I'm proud of that. I was pretty proud of Blossoms & Blood for the first few weeks...then it became old news. Eraserhead is still cool because so few people have it. I have a bunch of OOP Criterions, but that's not really too brag worthy.

cine

All of my silent films, but especially Griffith's Masterworks.

Oh, and my Herzog collection.

Alethia

NEON MERCURY

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

TheVoiceOfNick

I can't remember what my first DVD was, but my favorite of all time is Free Enterprise... I saw that movie in the theater (it was in limited release) after I got a flyer from someone while I was at a midnight screening of Wrath of Khan on my 21th birthday... it turns out the characters in the movie did the same thing for one of the character's birthdays... they went to a midnight screening of Khan... and the fact that the movie took place in L.A.... that was cool... so I tried forever to find the DVD, but it was nearly impossible... so I tried and tried, but finally found it somewhere online for like $25...  I scooped it up right away...