Nic Cage - NEVER afraid to go over the edge

Started by modage, June 06, 2003, 03:28:53 PM

MacGuffin

Cage has One Night in Bangkok
Source: Moviehole

The guy who brings the best presents to the Coppola Family Christmas Dinner every year, has signed to star as grizzled hit-man in a remake of a gritty Thai thriller from a few moons back.

According to Variety, Nicolas Cage is attached to "Bangkok Dangerous" – which will be helmed by the original's directors, Oxide Pang Chun and Danny Pang – playing a cold-blooded hit man who heads to Bangkok to pull off four jobs, and winds up falling in love with a local girl and bonding with his errand boy.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Bangkok(Collateral +The Professional)=Suckfest 2007

Maybe I'm just cynical.  But remember when a Nicolas Cage movie was something we knew we could look forward to?  Yeah, me neither.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Derek237

Yeah I totally camped out for 6 days in line to be the first to see Snake Eyes.

It was Gary Sinise who did it. Anybody could guess that. The end. Go home.

Actually I think Cage is the man and Snake Eyes wasn't that bad. And I adore everything he does so there. I'm looking forward to WTC, too... Nicolai Mustachio! woo!

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: polkaboos on June 06, 2006, 07:37:09 PM
Bangkok(Collateral +The Professional)=Suckfest 2007

Maybe I'm just cynical.  But remember when a Nicolas Cage movie was something we knew we could look forward to?  Yeah, me neither.

That's the risk trying to be your generation's Steve McQueen. Cage's ego problem isn't the same as McQueen's in eliciting specific projects be developed and catered for starring, but Cage's problem is that there are so many roles available in the mold of a Steve McQueen action film that he doesn't say no often enough. McQueen also worked with better talent in making a lot of films, but he's overpraised nonetheless.

modage

nic cage is nothing like steve mcqueen.  because he does the occassional action film he is not a steve mcqueen type at all.  every comment you make DOES NOT have to compare a director/actor/film to another (older) director/actor/film. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: carnage on June 06, 2006, 10:13:09 PM
nic cage is nothing like steve mcqueen.  because he does the occasional action film he is not a steve mcqueen type at all.  every comment you make DOES NOT have to compare a director/actor/film to another (older) director/actor/film. 

Of course he is like McQueen. No action star today besides Cage carries his celebrity synonymously with the appreciation of cars the way Steve McQueen does. My friends quote Gone in Sixty Seconds and Nic Cage the way my dad quotes Bullitt and Steve McQueen. Cage even boasts of his hate of cars (he has an extensive collection) and his admiration of Steve McQueen. Plus, their usual even keel temper in action movies fall on similar notes. The difference is that Cage's characters sometimes have random outbursts of emotion in a strenuous situation.

C'mon Mod, you of all people don't have to give me this asshole tone. Yes, all past references have a limited place of accuracy. Its just making an effort to use them is trying to be more insightful than just agreeing or disagreeing. And all your post is really doing is just calling me out on that without saying why.

Also, please, not all my posts are past referential. The Die Hard 4 and Wicker Man posts recently had none of it. I do use it more often than others but I'm no totalitarian with it.

hedwig

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 06, 2006, 10:35:57 PM
Also, please, not all my posts are past referential. The Die Hard 4 and Wicker Man posts recently had none of it. I do use it more often than others but I'm no totalitarian with it.
haha, i like how you tried to prove your posts aren't past referential by making a reference to two of your past posts.

MacGuffin

Brokeback Piano: Nicolas Cage Headlines Liberace
Source: TMZ.com

EXCLUSIVE: Nicolas Cage is not leaving Las Vegas; indeed, he's coming back to it, starring in a new biopic about the life of that gold lame luminary, Liberace. What's more, Cage is producing the project as well, via his Saturn Films production company, based on a script by Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg.

Friedberg and Seltzer are best known for the campy pop culture-derived hits "Scary Movie" and more recently, "Date Movie," but their look at Liberace's life is understood to be far more serious. And while the duo might seem to be the last choice for a serious biography, the deal kind of makes sense to us: Who, after all, was better at distilling highbrow classics into pop culture than Liberace himself?

Born Wladziu Valentino Liberace, the pianist's rise to fame began in the 1950s, when his musical TV show (featuring his brother George leading the band) competed with and often bested "I Love Lucy" for ratings. He'd go on to sell millions of records -- over 2 million in 1953 alone.

But was as a live performer that Liberace truly made his mark: As a headliner in Vegas, he had no equal, making $55,000 a week playing at the Riviera nightclub. By 1972, he was earning $300,000 a week, and was only finally dethroned by Elvis. (He reclaimed his mantle as Vegas' highest paid performer after the King's death.)

Liberace's own death, from AIDS, remains perhaps the most tragic and defining aspect of his life as an artist. Despite his status as a gay icon, Liberace always flatly denied that he was homosexual (Most poignantly, his publicist attributed his weight loss in his final months as being caused by a "watermelon diet.") and it's Liberace's worst-kept-secret of a double-life that the project is expected to focus on.

In the early 80s, Liberace's live-in lover Scott Thorson sued him for $113 million in "palimony" after they parted ways, and it is that suit - ultimately dismissed - that insiders say will be used as the starting point to introduce audiences to the secret that vexed Liberace for his entire adult life.

No studio is as yet attached, though Cage is said to be meeting with directors in the weeks to come, and is said to want to go before cameras as early as October of this year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

after all this time you can cross out "never"

MacGuffin

Nicolas Cage in Bangkok to film Pang brothers movie

BANGKOK (AFP) - Oscar-winner Nicolas Cage has arrived in Bangkok to film his latest movie with the Pang brothers, the renowned Hong Kong-born directing duo, a spokesman for the project said.

The movie "Big Hit in Bangkok" is a remake of Danny and Oxide Pang's own 1999 gangster thriller "Bangkok Dangerous", and is being shot entirely in Thailand.

"Cage is currently in Bangkok and will stay here for about three months to shoot this movie in Bangkok and a few other provinces in Thailand," Poj Charlermpong, a spokesman for Living Film Entertainment Thailand, told AFP.

In the movie, Cage plays a hitman who falls for a Thai woman and gives up his life of crime. In the original version, the hitman was a mute, but Cage's character will speak in the remake.

American-born Thai soap actor Chakrit Yamnam will also star in the movie, Poj said.

The Pang brothers were born in Hong Kong but enjoyed early success in Thailand. Among their other credits is the horror film "The Eyes".

"Big Hit in Bangkok" was among 291 foreign movies that won approval to film in Thailand during the first seven months of the year.

The films are collectively expected to bring 1.8 billion baht (49 million dollars) to Thailand, a total that is up 85 percent over the same period of 2005, according to Thailand's Film Office.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

the title of this thread says it all.  here is a HILARIOUS compilation of scenes from the Wicker Man remake. 
SPOILERS but really, watch this anyway.  tears were literally streaming down my face.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo

i'm renting this very soon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

When he punches that girl in the bear suit, I lost it. If those are the best scenes, then I don't know if sitting through the whole film would be worthwhile, except maybe to see how awful it is...but man, everything in that clip is solid gold!

Ravi

hedwig

Nic Cage - NEVER afraid to punch a girl in a bear suit

MacGuffin

New banner:

No, not the bees! NOT THE BEES!! AHHHHHHH!

Skeleton FilmWorks