Where The Wild Things Are

Started by tpfkabi, November 27, 2003, 09:31:27 PM

md

Does anyone know what the name of the theme song is?  I believe its Karen O just going wawhoooawhooooo a bunch of times. Real settling.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

MacGuffin

Quote from: md on November 15, 2009, 07:13:17 PM
Does anyone know what the name of the theme song is?  I believe its Karen O just going wawhoooawhooooo a bunch of times. Real settling.

All Is Love:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

md

Thanks Mac, but I'm looking for a slower version that's playing during the last half of the movie.  Maybe its not on the soundtrack, just the score?
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

squints

i'm pretty sure the song your talking about is called "Igloo" and its the first track on the soundtrack or it could be the upbeat version of the same song but its called "Sailing Home" and its the last track on the soundtrack.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

brockly

with the exception of CMBB, i don't recall anticipating a movie as much as this since i was a kid. i wasn't disappointed, this was everything i was hoping it would be.

WTWTA is the perfect narrative for what the film adaption strives to achieve given how many generations associate the novel with their childhood. this is hardly a kid's movie, it's too dedicated to its purpose to be appealing enough for kids.

the opening scenes are perfect in capturing what makes Max angry and wild. they're also very touching - i loved every second i spent with Max and his mother, my favourite moment being Max's sad vampire story which beautifully illustrates his loneliness, fear of abandonment and wild imagination. it takes a little adjusting once Max sets off on his journey but as soon as he started communicating with the wild things i was just in awe at how much it resonated with my childhood.

i love the way Max comes to terms with his behaviour through these monsters, both justifying and condemning his outbreak. i think Mod made a good critique about the contrast being non-existent from Max's initial ecstatic rumpus with the wild things before realising that their world too has problems. however, i like this aspect of the film. Carol's tantrum, stemming from his fear of abandonment, is what prompts Max to interact with the creatures in the first place and act as their saviour. his purpose of being there is deeper than simply rebelling against his mum, he sympathises/identifies with them and wants to help them.

i lost my shit at the end. Max says goodbye to the purest part of his childhood and returns home, where his mother watches over him until she falls asleep exhausted from worry :yabbse-cry:

i placed this right near the top of my best of the decade list in speculation and right now i'm pretty happy with that placement. Spike Jonze, i love you <s3

socketlevel

saw it again, hoping i'd see something i didn't the first time.  and in the end, i really feel like....

it sure was the hipster event of autumn. really that's all i take from it.

this movie should be 20 mins shorter.  while i agree with everything said by pro WTWTA xixaxers, all the themes, expressions and techniques could have been done better.  it's just a flat film, despite everything going for it.
the one last hit that spent you...

modage

Where The Wild Things Are Blu-ray Release Date and First Details

Multiple rumored dates have been shaken out and March 2 stands victorious as the date Warner Home Video will bring Spike Jonze's fantastical film Where The Wild Things Are to Blu-ray Disc and DVD.

The film grossed nearly $77 million at the domestic box office but was expected to do more based on its estimated $100 million budget. Fans of Maurice Sendak's classic children's story or the curious who missed the film theatrically will likely rush to catch it on home video.

Details surrounding the Blu-ray Disc are currently incomplete but we can confirm a 2.35:1 1080p transfer, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, and DVD and digital copy included in the package.

Bonus features will at minimum include the Blu-ray exclusive all-new 'Higglety Pigglety Pop' short featuring the voices of Meryl Streep and Forest Whitaker. Other features could be announced at a later date though there is no guarantee any are planned.

Where The Wild Things Are on Blu-ray will carry an SRP of $35.99. You can catch a glimpse at the Blu-ray cover art below from a trade ad, then be on the lookout for a higher resolution shot and Amazon pre-order information right here.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Spike Jonze And Lance Bangs Talk 'Tell Them Anything You Want: A Portrait Of Maurice Sendak'
Source: MTV

With his adaptation of "Where The Wild Things Are" set for DVD release on Tuesday, March 2, Spike Jonze took a night to chat about the intimate documentary about the witty and wise author Maurice Sendak, along with co-director Lance Bangs. "Tell Them Anything You Want: A Portrait of Maurice Sendak" takes you through enchanting, funny, and sometimes sad moments of the "Wild Things" creator's life as he recounts his childhood, the controversy surrounding his recently adapted book, his late partner of fifty years, Eugene Glynn, and his obsession with death. The 40-minute film exposes life as Sendak views it, quirks and all.

In the film, Jonze and Bangs combine detailed stories with photographs and illustrations that take us on an emotional tour through what matters most in Sendak's life. Through the past couple years they taped several casual conversations with the writer and illustrator in his Connecticut home. During these chats, he speaks candidly about his eight decades of life, starting with his early memories of being a two year old.

Sendak's life is as full of wonder as the tales in his books. You can't help but fall in love with him and his stories as they are as inspiring as his passion for creating his wonderful works of art.

After the screening, Jonze called upon long-time friend Mike Myers to help moderate a Q&A with the audience. The two directors spoke of the creativity behind the film, naming Sendak as an inspiration in and of himself.

"I find his imagination is certainly inspiring. I think that's what really drew me to him," Jonze explained. "But what I find deeply inspiring is his ferocious honesty and his fearlessness to be honest both as a person, as a friend, and as a mentor in helping us make this movie. As the thing about him is, he has no ability of small talk or chitchat. He wants to engage in something real. He is who he is and he doesn't have the energy to pretend to be someone else."

Jonze also spoke about Sendak's approval of the "Where The Wild Things Are" adaptation. "Not that he hated it, but it was the fact that Max didn't go to his room and the bedroom didn't turn into the forest. That was something early on in writing Dave [Eggers] and I realized didn't make sense with this movie we were writing. He didn't hate it, but he did challenge me on it".

Despite Sendak's eccentrities -- or perhaps because of them -- Jonze and Bangs were able to capture the essence of who this old man really is in their documentary. Whether it was his creepy obsession with mortality or how strange yet captivating his books are, "Tell Them Anything You Want" is a wonderful look into the life and success of one of literature's most creative minds.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

wow.
stupendous film. truly one of a kind. i can't think of anything to compare it too. time will turn this into a classic. visually is probably one of the most beautiful films ive ever seen.

Alexandro

oh yeah, and I'm sorry parents and critics who didn't like the film because it didn't fit into the usual mcdonald's harry potter bullshit package of what a kid movies should be. grow the fuck up, stop embarrassing your children.

Ordet

I cried a lot with this movie. I cry too much.
were spinning