God

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, June 01, 2003, 04:30:22 AM

Sally O'Malley

..the 'highlander' was a documentary and the events happend in real time.

godardian

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan

and two your a fucking fag

Again, you display your rhetorical genius. You do realize it's impossible to take you at all seriously when you make and defend your points like this?

I challenge anyone to explain how the above-quoted comment isn't backwards, detrimental to discussion, and idiotic.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

children with angels

He'll defend it by saying it's only for comedy, but that really isn't an answer when you are, in general, an incredibly intolerant person. I've said it before, Santa: what you think of as post-political correctness enlightenment is simply coming off as pre-political correctness bigotry.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: P
dude, u've always had a fuckin unjustifiably arrogant and superior attitude, and quite an unpleasant odour i might add. i know that's how fat ppl like to act on the internet but if u keep on being an unfunny unfriendly and generally disliked ass, i'm gonna hav to do sumthin horrible to ur face.. uh, and posting abilities.

This is exactly what's wrong with this board.  I argue both reasonably and as a bit of an ass on a point I feel strongly about.  Then I get called both a "fag" and "fat."  Then I'm admonished to be "less disliked" (how does one do that, exactly?) and threatened with being banned by the fascists who run this thing.  Pathetic.

It really is pathetic. SantaClause is one of the most illiterate, juvenile, dull-witted, dense 'Net-dwellers I've ever had the misfortune of knowing about, and that's really saying something. Could anyone possibly be as unlikeable as he is? Not Mesh. Not by a fucking long shot. Only a very biased mind would tolerate Clause, find him benign, and wag their finger at Mesh.

Too often, being here is like being in an episode of South Park where every character is that little retarded-voiced kid who says "Duh... that's gay." Except here, they're not being satirized- it's somehow a prevalent attitude.

I don't know that anyone has the unilateral ability to "ban" anyone, either. I'd be surprised if that were the case.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Gold Trumpet

I'm glad I stayed out of a conversation that had anything to do with God and interpretations dealing with God in some way here. Last board I was at just banned all arguments of God because they got so brutal.

I would like to say a few things though:

I am an agnostic, but feel a direct Christian reference being brought from the film, due simply to the Exodus 8:2 representations and miracle it inspires. On the other hand, this feels like Kieslowski's The Decalogue to where it does take from something specifically Christain, but yet never really explains it out to be a sermon for that religion and insteads become subjective for each individual to say what they think.Thus the feeling, for me, was very powerful and felt more powerful than just a dramatic point because it delved into the possibilities of what can dictate certain unexplainable wonders. That was my feeling and if someone felt a certain part of their religion being brought up, then fine. I have no problem with it. To each their own. I am prolly am spitting things already said here anyways so skip all i said.

~rougerum

RegularKarate

This thread could have been a whole lot better.

Thing is, Santa is kind of contridicting himself.  
Seriously, I kind of like the point you've brought up here and agree somewhat.  But your attitude throughout the thread is so close minded.  You say that it's cut and dry, straight-forward and that it's obvious that he's saying "god exists".  I think it's pretty obvious that it's left open for interpretation... that's why we have the Charles Fort book and the 82... two different theories for what happens with the frogs.

Children has a good point... it seems you're so afraid of this "image minded" label that you're just assuming anyone that disagrees with you does so because that's what's cool.

Obviously the frogs and 82 can be connected to christianity, but the film just has a religious friendly theme... redemption and in some ways, Karma

But this thread isn't about religion... some people are misinterpreting it that way and therefore just making it worse.

I know most (if not all of this) has been said, but I'm writing this as I read.

I'm also disapointed that Santa was not sooner reprimanded for his unlawful use of the word "fag"... the fact that the post makes him sound like an oaf asside, it's just not some shit that should be thrown around lightly... you can continue this conversation in P's favorite thread.

And I think that Mesh is being a tad ridiculous (which is less than usual), but seems to be ganged up on for this topic.  I'm not defending Mesh, really... he can be quite the unreasonable prick at times.

Oh, and:
Quote from: godardianI don't know that anyone has the unilateral ability to "ban" anyone, either. I'd be surprised if that were the case.
Surprise.

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarate

Oh, and:
Quote from: godardianI don't know that anyone has the unilateral ability to "ban" anyone, either. I'd be surprised if that were the case.
Surprise.

So... the person who threatened to ban Mesh actually has the power to do so? I think if someone is threatening to ban people in a situation like that, it's a little scary that they actually have the unilateral ability to do so.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: Phil Marlowemesh, considering the fact that your posts have no other points but 'no', then why do you bother? you bash santa for not delivering any messages, you a joke man.

and i have a strong hunch he was kidding about the part about wanting to kill himself

well now he has brought nothing to the table

godardian

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan

well now he has brought nothing to the table

Cryptic, yet insipid.

who wants to ban mesh, he has been saying this since day one

about how he is some cutting edge dude and he will scare people with his scarey logic

i do not think he matters to anyone .

nor does anyone really, but at least i dunno to some people this is getting across

i love when people get really up in arms over something i have to say, mission acomplished

rk, i am glad that you got what i was getting at

after like page three my point was not really being expressed the right way but my first point is still out there, and i guess from time to time it creeps back in

it might get lost in the haze of fuck yous, but thats the point because i do not write to make everyone happy

and guess what , the people who get it are the right people and pissing off godardian and mesh, thats what we live for

why the fuck else did johhny rotten wear a " i hate pink floyd" t shirt at the height of drak side mania

was it because he hated pink floyd, or was it something else ?

i am not a snob, and i am not a thug hate basher type

im just trying to do something great

children with angels

I would try again to explain that you can have an okay idea, but the way you interact with others is completely confused, intolerant and infantile - but it really is almost exactly like talking to brick wall. It makes me doubt the point of a message board when people don't listen to what others have to say. It's just a depressing waste of time.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Quote from: children with angelsI would try again to explain that you can have an okay idea, but the way you interact with others is completely confused, intolerant and infantile - but it really is almost exactly like talking to brick wall. It makes me doubt the point of a message board when people don't listen to what others have to say. It's just a depressing waste of time.

ohh its all in good fun, its a image really

i hate saying this because it makes me ill to have to explain myself

but just look at it again, and then you will see what i am getting at

and my point is not the use of the word fag

if anything that is just smoking a ciggerete in a nice l.a restaurant

i am not blowing it anyones face, but on the otherhand i think its gross to have to go outside

and here is the kicker i do not even smoke, but just dont tell me not to in such a smug manner, because i have plent of cash and i am insane enough to smoke a fucking cartoon a hour just to piss off that snooty maytra d

VIVA LA MEXICO !!!!!!! i feel to many threads these days do not express love towards mexico

when i said that religan makes me ill let me expand on that

i think crashing plains into buildings makes me ill, i think strapping bombs to your chests to take out discos makes me ill

i think going to church and rubbing your BMW under the nose of some poor shlub who drives a chrysler makes me ill

like the bmw guy will get a better seat because he gives more money to the church , and he wants YOU Too know that and his wife is gonna wear her best dress to tell everyone that god thinks they are cooler because they are rich that makes me ill

i think the vatican taking money from the mob so they could buy their way into heavon that makes me ill

what does any of this have to do with god

i fucking respect the ned flanders of the world, hell in 2003 to have such strong faith is a great thing

i respect people who beilve in their religen for pure reasons

those fucking people are great

like sonowthen, i think he has his head on straight when it comes to this subject

i really do respect that sort of thing

my problem is with fanatics, i hate fanatics

and in my case in my church all i saw was people trying to one up each other over stupid shit

" i have a better job so god loves me more " " well my wife has big tits, i must sit at the cool table "

why is their a cool table ? its because humans are all to human and many holy men are cunfused and they let money and greed cloud there important work

they are there to help pass along gods work , and not to pretend they work for the guy and that they deserve to be treated cool because they are in his possie

god is not leonardo dicaprio, and the pope shouldnt be treated like like david blaine trying to get restaurant reservations

my point is i have seen bad, but i have seen also good

and in the end if its just 1 guy out of 50000 we must stand up for that one guy because he is doing the right thing

SoNowThen

I think that was beautiful, what you just said.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

Quote from: godardian
So... the person who threatened to ban Mesh actually has the power to do so? I think if someone is threatening to ban people in a situation like that, it's a little scary that they actually have the unilateral ability to do so.

Banning decisions are made quite democratically here and people are rarely ever banned.  And no one without warning.

It's actually not scary at all.  Nothing to worry about.

Unless you like Kevin Smith then you're gone.