Joke in FMJ

Started by ShanghaiOrange, March 19, 2004, 08:23:38 AM

ShanghaiOrange

Private Joker: How can you shoot women and children?
Door Gunner: Easy... you don't lead 'em so much.

I don't get that joke. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

SoNowThen

Since they're in a moving chopper, shooting at moving targets, they can't aim right at them. You have to "lead" your fire, and aim it ahead. But men can run faster than women and children, hence you would lead them more.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

^yeah.

the joke is basically that he took the question to mean "how is it physically possible to kill women and children". and the answer he gave is like "u just don't apply as much effort as u would with actual enemies".
under the paving stones.

ShanghaiOrange

Oh. :(

That's pretty good, actually. :(

Thanks.

Last five films (video)

Fernando

This seems like the proper place to post this...

ElPandaRoyal

Si

mutinyco

I think that joke was originally about Steven Spielberg. Out of curiosity, why is PJ heiling Hitler?...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ShanghaiOrange

Man, I thought I didn't get jokes...

Last five films (video)

context, context, context.

Sleuth

if you keep clicking others before the first one finishes then you might cry
I like to hug dogs

Fernando

Found a recent article where Vincent D'Onofrio talks about working with Stanley Kubrick on 1987's FULL METAL JACKET.

ENTERTAINMENT MOVIES

Sign of the Crimes

By Eleanor Sprawson

June 30, 2004

Stanley Kubrick may have given him his big break but Vincent D'Onofrio has mixed feelings about his success.

If at times it seems that Law and Order: Criminal Intent's Detective Bobby Goren is going mad, there is very good reason for it.

The actor whose hand-waving, stammering portrayal of the character has weirded out the nation, is trying to stay sane.

"If I get bored, then it's death," says Vincent D'Onofrio, who has been playing Goren since 2001.

"It's a really hard thing to sustain. To stay interested and interesting you have to constantly reinvent and reinvent, create and create, put variation upon variation."

For this rather exhausting method of working, D'Onofrio blames legendary director Stanley Kubrick.

Kubrick established the Brooklyn-born actor's whole career by giving D'Onofrio his first-ever film role.

D'Onofrio had only worked in theatre when Kubrick cast him without ever having met him as the scene-stealing Private Gomer Pyle in his 1987 anti-war classic Full Metal Jacket (being screened on Sunday as part of SBS's Kubrick retrospective).

"Oh, I was so scared," he recalls.

"But it was thrilling at the same time. I mean he was this icon."

"And there was so much going on. It was my first film, I had to put on weight, like about 60lb (about 27kg), and I had to learn how to march and use a rifle, so it was really scary."

Kubrick's method of directing was to leave it up to the actor. If a character wasn't working, he wouldn't suggest a different way of tackling the role. He'd just sack you.

"I never knew if I was pulling it off or not. I knew that I didn't get fired, but that was all," he says.

D'Onofrio turned up at the film's premiere when it was released with very low expectations.

"I had just thought we were shooting a lot of stuff and I knew that my part was only about 30 minutes of the film-but I didn't think it was going to be the whole 30 minutes. I thought it would mostly be Matthew (co-star Matthew Modine).

"So it was confirmation for me. I remember thinking 'Wow, he really must have dug what I did. He kept it in'."

Kubrick was also responsible for setting up the actor's very intense, very internal, style of acting.

"I did change me," D'Onofrio says. "I expect a lot from myself, you know. But Stanley did it for me, in film. Ever since he cast me in that part, he set my whole career up. I haven't stopped working since."

D'Onofrio has very mixed feelings about the role in Criminal Intent.

Playing Goren has fixed him in the public's mind after years as a character actor.

"I didn't expect it to be so popular," he groans. "So I have to careful."

It could be a velvet prison. At worst it's like I'm in golden handcuffs. But at its best it's just straight-out fun.

"But three years from now, it's going to be over and I'll never go back. Right now though, it's as it's as interesting as hell, you know. He's this bizzare character. And he's going to keep changing."

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Fernando"If I get bored, then it's death"
That's exactly the thing I would expect Vincent D'Onofrio to say.

mutinyco

He'd probably just go pack a bowl.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Fernando

Found this at alt.movies.kubrick. The pdf file is really great.

The official Stanley Kubrick Exibition website published a PDF file with Matthew Modine's Full Metal Diaries.

http://www.stanleykubrick.de/eng.php?img=img-l-6&kubrick=news-eng

http://www.stanleykubrick.de/res/pdf/MM-DIARY.pdf (5 MB)

Fernando

Livemercial

Caution: May cause hysterical laughter or nauseousness.