Revenge

Started by Jeremy Blackman, September 15, 2018, 12:27:19 AM

Jeremy Blackman

I can't find a trailer that's not extremely spoilery. But I pretty much loved this movie. My best attempt at a vague synopsis: Basically a guy brings his young mistress on a trip, something bad happens to her, then she must survive in the desert and possibly get revenge. That's really all you need to know.

Also, it's bloody. Very bloody.

It's a French film made by a first-time female writer/director, Coralie Fargeat. The exploitation elements walk the line quite skillfully. And the editing feels very French.

Streaming on SHUDDER and available to rent from multiple outlets.

polkablues

It's an extremely well-made movie with style to spare, but I think it works a lot better as a straightforward gender revenge flick than as the feminist overhaul it occasionally feints in the direction of being. Ultimately, there's not a lot of open air separating this from I Spit On Your Grave and its ilk. Visually outstanding, though, and the staging of the climax is so weird and bold that I have to give it bonus points for creativity.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

The feminist elements did not seem overly ambitious to me. At the same time, I think if this were Fargeat's second or third film instead of her debut, it easily might have been a masterpiece.

Because she definitely had some interesting stuff in mind.

SPOILERS

Like the very phallic wooden spear. And this:

QuoteInasmuch as Fargeat and Lutz both champion the right of women to parade their bodies as they wish, the bulk of Revenge focuses on a female form that is shot like a lithe huntress. Clad in a black bikini, smeared with dirt, and slinging a gun, she takes on the role of predator, rather than prey.

"It's like an animal losing a skin and living in another skin," says Fargeat. "Part of her dies, the part that defines her existence through the gaze of other people and through the male gaze."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/revenge-film-coralie-fargeat-matilda-lutz-rape-thriller-violent-male-gaze-feminism-a8341291.html

polkablues

SPOILIES

I did very much respect the way she chose to shoot the rape scene, disassociating the viewer from it and not allowing for the possibility of taking some sort voyeuristic satisfaction from it. That, to me, felt like the biggest political move of the film to separate it from its genre peers.

The only moment in the film that it felt like they really outkicked their coverage was when she uses the beer can in the cave to cauterize her wound and it left the perfect scar of the Phoenix from the logo. I love big fat sloppy symbolism, but that still made me roll my eyes a bit. And then they had a chance at salvaging it when the guy comes in and blows her head off and she snaps awake and you realize that she had passed out — if at that point she had looked down and the scar was just a scar, I would have stood up and applauded. They could have had their metaphor cake and still eaten it with a fat slab of realism, but no, the fucking Phoenix was still there. Certainly didn't ruin the movie, but it felt like one of the few rookie moves in an otherwise savvy film.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILS

Oh my. I didn't even realize that was a phoenix. That was actually one of my favorite elements of the movie. Maybe it would be cheesier upon rewatch. I will concede that they held that reveal shot for too long (and multiple times?). The film could have used a tighter edit overall, I think, symbols or no.

I would trim the scene of the phoenix brand, but I certainly wouldn't take that out. It was pretty.

Something Spanish

i remember wanting to see this the one day it played near me and then vanished into thin air. looks good.

Jeremy Blackman

Controversial opinion: I think it's a better revenge flick than Mandy.

jenkins

not controversial btw

Jeremy Blackman

In my particular media bubble, I guess, everyone seems to be raving about Mandy and I didn't hear a peep about Revenge. But you're probably right in Rotten Tomatoes terms; both are 93%.

Jeremy Blackman

This is apparently on sale for $5 on iTunes, part of their "new filmmakers" sale.

polkablues

I usually make a point to only buy physical media, but 5 bucks is tempting.

WorldForgot

2nd Sight UK
Region: B Release

Special Features

Out for Blood: a new interview with Director Coralie Fargeat and Actor Matilda Lutz
    The Coward: a new interview with Actor Guillaume Bouchede
    Fairy Tale Violence: a new interview with Cinematographer Robrecht Heyvaert
    Death Notes: a new interview with Composer Robin Court (Rob)
    New audio commentary by Kat Ellinger, Author and Editor of Diabolique

Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase featuring new artwork by Adam Stothard
    Poster with new artwork
    Soft cover book with new writing by Mary Beth McAndrews and Elena Lazic

polkablues

Sounds like a great release, but I have to imagine that cover was chosen without filmmaker approval. It's objectifying in a manner that the film itself was specifically reacting against.