A Ghost Story

Started by Reel, December 01, 2016, 09:23:54 PM

Shughes

From lwlies.com:

A Ghost Story to close Sundance Film Festival: London 2017

David Lowery's haunting drama is among the highlights of this year's programme.

Returning to the UK capital for its fifth edition, the 2017 Sundance London Film Festival boasts an impressive programme of features and shorts mostly culled from its parent festival in Park City, Utah.

This year's festival will open with the international premiere of Miguel Arteta's Beatriz at Dinner, and will close four days later with the UK premiere of David Lowery's A Ghost Story, starring Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara. In our first look review we describe the film as a "quietly haunting tale of loss and redemption".

Lowery will be attending the festival to take part in a special 'In Conversation' event, where his acclaimed debut feature Ain't Them Bodies Saints will also screen.

Elsewhere there's UK premieres for Marianna Palka's Bitch, Jeff Orlowski's Chasing Coral, Craig Johnson's Wilson, adapted from Daniel Clowes' graphic novel, and for the first time festivalgoers will be treated to a Surprise Film.

Sundance Film Festival: London takes place 1-4 June at Picturehouse Central. Check out the full programme here.

(Original article http://lwlies.com/festivals/sundance-london-film-festival-2017-a-ghost-story/.)

RegularKarate

Quote from: Shughes on April 25, 2017, 07:09:12 AM
his acclaimed debut feature Ain't Them Bodies Saints

When will they learn?

Ravi

I saw this last night at the Oak Cliff Film Festival. What an amazing film. I don't want to reveal too much about the film, even though reviews are out there. It starts out as a personal and intimate film and gradually the ideas get bigger. It's remarkable how David has conveyed existential ideas with minimal dialogue and simple, well thought-out imagery. The image of the ghost as a white sheet goes back centuries, and here it's a visualization of something eternal and timeless.

I will definitely buy the soundtrack, which releases on July 7th.

jenkins

i was checking its runtime. 1hr27min. nice. adorable imdb trivia section

Tictacbk

Excited to see this tonight at The Cinefamily!

EDIT: screening pushed til next week  :yabbse-sad:

ono

Drenk

Is there any news about french distribution? I'm surprised that it won't be released in the summer here...
Ascension.

polkablues

Quote from: ono on July 07, 2017, 12:40:02 PM
So this just came up in my feed:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/883351085955637248

That's quite the terrifying murder basement Criterion conducts their interviews in.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

Matt Zoller Seitz --

Quote"A Ghost Story" feels bracingly, at times alienating new. It's a movie you can't be quite sure how to take. There are moments where the movie seems to be handing you keys to interpretation, but I'd caution viewers against looking at such scenes for answers, because they have a rope-a-dope quality—as if they're designed to bait and trap those who would sneer at this kind of movie. In any event, this is a film that's more inclined to ask questions than answer them, much less give life advice.

QuoteI should admit here that any take I can offer is provisional. I need to see the film a second time to sweep away preconceived notions that might've been lingering in my mind during my first viewing of "A Ghost Story." The movie is so simple in its storytelling and its situations are observed so patiently that the result has a disarming purity, as if Lowery jammed a tap into his subconscious and recorded one of his dreams directly to film. It's probably the closest that a lot of people are going to get to seeing a late-period silent movie on a big screen—a melodrama that deals in big ideas and obvious symbols, and that puts across fantastical concepts, such a ghost haunting the landscape over a period of decades, by putting a sheet over its leading man and having him walk around slowly and stare blankly at stuff. (Cinematographer Andrew Droz Palermo shoots the movie in the old-fashioned, square-ish "Academy" ratio, letting us see the rounded edges of the frame; this has a constricting effect, so that we seem to be spying through a keyhole at someone else's life.)

that's what he made Matt Zoller Seitz write. he made A.O. Scott get dissy, which is how NYC people give compliments. Justin Chang reminded LA of ways to like the movie --

QuoteBut one of the lessons of this quietly gripping movie, and of the American art-film tradition to which it belongs, is that stillness can conceal troubling depths, and even seemingly small moments can be rife with meaning and implication.

QuoteIndividual moments are drawn out so slowly that you feel trapped in them alongside the characters, but what gives the film its particular poignancy is the way it makes those moments feel both attenuated and fleeting — a reminder of how little time we are granted together on this astral plane.

QuoteThese scenes are a warning to look closer and listen carefully, to appreciate the deeper meaning of moments that might otherwise seem insignificant — a lesson that applies well beyond the domain of the movie theater.

the question is not if it will last, but how it will. a.k.a. art as awesome. so this did awesome and bravo.

RegularKarate

I'm goin' NUTS over here!
My friend is in NYC watching a Q&A with David right now and I'm stuck here in Austin staring at a screen that says the closest it will get to me is San Antonio and not for three weeks!

jenkins

i.e. LA and NYC packed its theaters and did what they could to support the cause

Fuzzy Dunlop

SPOILERS within (I think. I started skipping ahead when it started seeming spoilery):

http://www.avclub.com/article/david-lowery-had-stop-himself-giving-his-sundance--257855

wilder

Quote from: Letterboxd user Jeff BA Ghost Story's greatest strength is how it explores the idea that time is relative. A widower fighting back tears while eating a pie can feel like an eternity, while a family living, dying, and decomposing can feel like an instant.

Cloudy

what Wilder said. and just want to stop by to congratulate GB on this.

completely badass, on the edge of failure every day of the shoot, on your own dime, with all the stress and doubt that comes with.

we need more of THIS in cinemas. thank you. thank you. gonna watch it again with more friends soon.

(was tricked into thinking this was shot on film btw, feel like a fool.)

tpfkabi

Quote from: ono on July 07, 2017, 12:40:02 PM
So this just came up in my feed:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/883351085955637248

Woah! I have always wondered what boundaries they give you as to how much you can take.

The soundtrack is up on the Regal Crown Club in CD or vinyl. I would get the CD, but the way they set it up is that your base shipping is $8+ (it's best if you are getting multiple items), and would probably not be too much different from just buying it online. On the vinyl:

The score to A Ghost Story was composed by Lowery's frequent collaborator Daniel Hart (Tumbledown). Astral in sound and cosmic in scope, Hart's compositions for A Ghost Story will haunt you.
180 gram white vinyl housed in an interior Eurosleeve featuring an unnerving turn-of-the-century ghost photograph. A handsome dress jacket treated with a glow-in-the-dark coating allows the title and eponymous ghost to seemingly leap from the cover when the lights go out. As beautiful and unique as the ålm itself, this vinyl release is one you can you can't afford to miss.

I wonder when I will be able to see this movie.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.