My Friend Dahmer

Started by Something Spanish, November 20, 2017, 05:25:40 PM

Something Spanish

https://youtu.be/jmnuC7tn9D4

After watching a string of lackluster disappointments, this was a breath of fresh air, though not great by any means, just a movie that got under my skin and stayed in mind since; felt very true to the high-school experience and the camaraderie amongst the teens was natural, reminiscent of stuff like The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys. What really got me was the performance by Ross Lynch. Never heard of him but he give a helluva committed turn as the titular character. My Friend Dahmer is essentially a disturbing character study that manages to shed a little light on the most depraved serial killer to have ever serially killed.

What was interesting was how disturbing I found it despite the lack of brutality or heavy violence, it's always this potential that doesn't quite materialize but we know is teetering below the surface.

jenkins

what will i miss out on, not wanting to see this movie? 0% to do with you starting this thread or making your post, btw. 100% to do with my sympathetic side, and not wanting to allow Dahmer my sympathy. is it beginning-to-end a sympathetic portrayal of Dahmer's early life? my response is pure: fuck that.

there'll never be a better thread for me to share this song though. it's a Christian rock song from the 90s

Something Spanish

Stop lying dude, your disinterest has everything thing to do with me starting this thread and posting about it. Kidding, but you'll be missing a really good movie. Not incredibly sympathetic towards Dahmer, considering his early proclivities for collecting roadkill for the purpose of dissolving its flesh, but you do feel a tad bad for the sicko. The movie is based on a graphic novel written by one of the few friends Dahmer had growing up. 

Jeremy Blackman

Just a random fun fact here. A shocking number of serial killers had childhood head injuries or suffer from autism/aspergers. They mention that on Last Podcast all the time; the coorelation is actually absurdly high.

Study: 'Significant' statistical link between mass murder and autism, brain injury

polkablues

So how high do you suppose Spielberg's body count is?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Garam

Can't wait for this, the graphic novel was tremendous, very humane and affecting.