Dexter

Started by gob, October 24, 2006, 01:59:21 PM

gob

I have just recently seen the first 3 episodes of "Dexter" the show about a slightly friendly serial killer/forensics guy and I think it's fookin' genius. It's gruesome and funny and Michael C Hall is pitch perfect in the title role.

Anybody else like it?

Raikus

Quote from: RaikusWatch Dexter instead. First two episodes are available at sho.com. Michael Hall is great.
Right there with you. Very well acted show. And a great plotline right now.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

B.C. Long

This is seriously the best show on tv right now. Can't wait for the second season.

MacGuffin

'Dexter' promo to dye for
Fountains run red for Showtime

Showtime and creative marketing agency Pop2Life will be turning fountains red in 14 U.S. cities Thursday to promote the second season of Showtime's drama series "Dexter."

The network insists, however, that red was chosen because it is Showtime's corporate color and meant to get noticed and does not symbolize the blood spilled in the show about a blood-spatter expert for the Miami police who also happens to be a serial killer.

Fountains in New York's Times Square, at Hollywood & Highland as well as in Philadelphia, Washington, Boston, Miami, Houston, Denver, Las Vegas, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Phoenix will be dyed red from morning till night, and the sites will be cordoned off with branded banner tape to promote the premiere of "Dexter" on Sunday. Five of the 14 fountains are being custom-built for the promotion, including 12-foot fountains in Times Square and at Hollywood & Highland.

"We're not out there to frighten people," said George DeBolt, vp media and promotions at Showtime. "Red is an important color for the network. It's our corporate color. Whatever people take away from this is what they take away, but we're using the color red so that it's noticed.

" 'Dexter' is not a horror series," he added. "It's a series about a serial killer who happens to be in forensic police work. There is blood in the show, but we're not doing this to convey the notion of blood or horror because that would be off strategy with how we promote the show."

DeBolt said Showtime was unconcerned about any potential negative fallout from the promotion like that experienced by Cartoon Network in February. At that time, its guerrilla marketing campaign for "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" turned into a daylong terrorism scare in Boston, with police suspecting that blinking boxes placed around the city by the network were bombs.

"We are following every legal and city government procedure," DeBolt said. "We filed all the necessary permits, and we're not doing anything the cities themselves do not know about. This will be branded 'Dexter' and 'Showtime' so people will know it's a promotional stunt."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

it will be mistaken for terrorism.

ps. awesome show

elpablo

ooo, i wonder which fountain they're doing it to in philly

edit: they died the fountain in Love Park red. I might try to go down and take pictures later if I have time. There's caution tape around it with the Dexter logo on it.

pete

I've been catching up on season 1, almost done.  I digs it so far, though it's a little sloppy sometimes on the mystery clues being too obvious, and the cinematography really blows - so many shots that looked like big-budget student films.  I think, like Lost, this show owes a lot of its structure to comicbooks, except, when Lost keeps on building up insatiable tension and mysteries through backstories after backstories and arcs after arc, Dexter seems intending on finishing them.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

picolas

wanted to say that for the last few weeks i've been unable to wait for the next dexter after seeing the latest episode, and the feeling was getting more and more intense each week. i did not think last week could be topped for sheer "i want to know what's going to happen"ness, but it did. to the max. JESUS.

and apparently it was the most watched showtime episode ever. it deserved it.

cine

JESUS is right. i am publicly apologizing for not gushing about this show sooner. there's like one person reading this thread so..

Doakes is a son of a bitch. and even though i'd love to watch Dex chainsaw him too, i'm sure he won't die... there is no way he will.

... fuck i really hope i'm jinxing this so he will.

elpablo

I feel like a lot of the shows I watch regularly have gone downhill lately, but Dexter is still great. More people need to watch this show.

diggler

doakes was pretty stupid in the way he went about the whole thing. i can't believe the show has gotten to this point so fast.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Sigur Rós

Just watched all episodes in a week...even though I had to study for my exams  :yabbse-smiley: This show is a new favorite. When will we see Michael C. Hall in some cool films?

Raikus

Quote from: thooor on November 28, 2007, 06:00:56 PM
When will we see Michael C. Hall in some cool films?
When Dulcet, Dandy, Dexter: The Musical comes out in '09.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

john

Bought the first season on the board's recommendation. I'm really enjoying it... a nice surprise. It's good to see Michael Hall again.

Two really enjoyable recommendations this week. Dexter and Okkervil River. Keep it up, Xixax.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

essbe

This is easily the best show on tv right now. Check out the episodes that have yet to air(11 and 12 leaked) http://free-tv-video-online.info/internet/dexter/
Film lovers are sick people