Family Guy

Started by SHAFTR, June 27, 2003, 01:27:41 PM

Cecil

modage

happier news...

"Simpsons" creator Matt Groening is trying to come up with ways to produce new episodes of the cancelled "Futurama" as well as a movie trilogy based on the series.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

markums2k

MacGuffin: Harbinger of DOOM.   :(

themodernage02: Harbinger of happy.  :-D

And I fucking hate Family Guy.  I haven't read any other posts, so maybe other people hate it too... but I don't care.  It's so terrible.

Ravi

I think Family Guy is hilarious, but it's basically a volley of gags.  The story and characters really don't matter.  The show frequently breaks from the family to show a visualization of some joke.  I accept that this is the format of Family Guy, but if we're going to compare it to The Simpsons, it is stronger on character driven humor.  I think that's why The Simpsons has endured while FG has a smaller but devoted following.  The characters on FG don't endear themselves to you.

It sounds like I'm down on FG, but I'm not.  I like the show.  But I like The Simpsons better.

Sleuth

Did anyone see the episode where The Griffins becomes a reality TV show?  By the end, Meg comes home and her whole family has been replaced.  Peter was Tom Arnold, Lois was Fran Drescher, Brian and Stewie were the Olsen Twins, and Chris was Philip Seymour Hoffman
I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

Quote from: RaviI think Family Guy is hilarious, but it's basically a volley of gags.  The story and characters really don't matter.  The show frequently breaks from the family to show a visualization of some joke.  I accept that this is the format of Family Guy, but if we're going to compare it to The Simpsons, it is stronger on character driven humor.  I think that's why The Simpsons has endured while FG has a smaller but devoted following.  The characters on FG don't endear themselves to you.

It sounds like I'm down on FG, but I'm not.  I like the show.  But I like The Simpsons better.

I couldn't have said it any better. I don't hate Family Guy, I just hate how people disregard the Simpsons as the only reason FG exists.

Quote from: tremoloslothDid anyone see the episode where The Griffins becomes a reality TV show? By the end, Meg comes home and her whole family has been replaced. Peter was Tom Arnold, Lois was Fran Drescher, Brian and Stewie were the Olsen Twins, and Chris was Philip Seymour Hoffman

That was the fucking shit! I laughed so hard when they said PSH!
WWPTAD?

ono

The makers of Family Guy seems to have an appreciation for PTA's work.  There are other references to Boogie Nights and Magnolia here and there.  The episode where Peter says he has divine powers, when he confesses that he doesn't and is a fake, he says he's "just like Marky Mark's hog in Boogie Nights."

Also, in the episode where Chris becomes an artist and the family goes to New York, when Chris's mentor says he can't see his dad anymore, Peter tries to get Meg to be rich and talented by exploiting her knack for bird calls.  She gets pissed off at him, storms off, and Peter yells at her, "don't you dare walk away from me... don't you dare get on that plane... don't you dare shell out five bucks for headphones for Magnolia!"

Lucinda Bryte

Raikus

From Cinescape:

EXCLUSIVE: FAMILY GUY - The Movie!
Creator Seth McFarlane has good news for his fans!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dateline: Friday, September 5, 2003

By: PATRICK SAURIOL
By: News Editor
Source: Seth McFarlane

In an exclusive interview with Coming Attractions at Cinescape, FAMILY GUY creator Seth McFarlane told us that the rumor about the possible return of his TV show is about to become a reality. A deal is imminent for McFarlane to continue creating new animated adventures of Quahog's nuttiest, funniest dysfunctional family, the Griffins.

"It's all come down to the budget right now. We're hashing it out," McFarlane tells CA. "It would be a direct-to-DVD project."

While the feature length FAMILY GUY will be developed at Fox, it will be at a different division and not through the company's television arm. And as for when we might be able to see new FAMILY GUY goodness:

"Timeframe, you're probably looking at a year, a year-and-a-half down the line. It will take a while to make. If we could do it within a year it would be very exciting."

With tremendous sales of the first DVD volume of FAMILY GUY (the second set goes on sale starting next week) and ratings on Cartoon Network climbing high, McFarlane's now-cancelled series is proving to be more popular in its afterlife than it was when it was in active production on Fox. Expect all the TV series cast members to reprise their roles for the movie.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ono

Cool, I was just about to bump this thread.  I've been waiting pretty much all summer for this: Tuesday (9/9), Family Guy Vol. 2 comes out on DVD.  I've read somewhere some Wal-Marts have it in stock already.  Sadly, mine doesn't.  It'll probably have it the night before, though.  I hope.  Not that one day makes a difference.  Anyone else have Vol. 2 yet?

I sure hope they can pull off a good movie.  It's hard to sustain that kind of comedic momentum for 70+ minutes.

Ravi

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaCool, I was just about to bump this thread.  I've been waiting pretty much all summer for this: Tuesday (9/9), Family Guy Vol. 2 comes out on DVD.  I've read somewhere some Wal-Marts have it in stock already.  Sadly, mine doesn't.  It'll probably have it the night before, though.  I hope.  Not that one day makes a difference.  Anyone else have Vol. 2 yet?

I sure hope they can pull off a good movie.  It's hard to sustain that kind of comedic momentum for 70+ minutes.

I think FG barely sustains the momentum for 20-odd minutes.  The movie will suck if it retains the exact same structure, i.e., gags that pop up out of nowhere.

After seeing more episodes of FG on Cartoon Network, I don't find it nearly as funny as I did when they first aired.  I don't hate it, but I'm not rushing out to buy the DVDs.

ono

I got my Family Guy Vol. 2 this afternoon, and have watched the first three episodes of the first disc.  Hilarious stuff.  Got it for $35.99 at Best Buy.  Cheapest I could find it, which was odd, but still, so worth it.

blind

Everyone should go pick up the Family Guy Volume 2 DVD to support the show. I know that a lot of people were surprised by how well Volume 1 sold, and were blown away by the ratings for the show when it began its run on the Cartoon Network. So you never know what might happen if Volume 2 sells well. I mean, the DVD is already the #1 seller on Amazon.com, and the shows been cancelled for how long now? I think the Family Guys cult following is prompted FOX to let the creators of Family Guy go into production for a Family Guy Movie, which will see light in a year to a year and a half. So until then, we should all just pick up the Family Guy Volume 2 DVD to keep ourselves busy, and support the show!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Oh God...Volumes 1+2 rocked so hard...but I had seen almost all of them.  Then I got Volume and I, to quote GDIDM, creamed myself.  So many episodes new to me, I laughed my ass off.

*Bows to Family Guy*
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Fox is in talks with Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane about a direct-to-DVD Family Guy movie. "Family Guy Vol. 1" is the top-selling TV on DVD release of the year, with sales of more than 800,000 units since its April bow.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks