Orphan Black

Started by Brando, July 13, 2013, 01:12:13 PM

Brando

I remember seeing the trailers for the show earlier this year. I didn't think much of it at the time. There seems to be commercials for these new Sci Fi shows all the time. I then started to read stuff about Tatiana Maslany, the lead actress. Patton Oswald went on a twitter rant about her on the show. A few days ago, I told myself I couldn't drink if I couldn't find anything to watch. I couldn't even find a movie interesting enough to watch drunk. I went with Orphan Black and this show is really good.

It wasn't long after starting the show that I realized that this isn't your generic Sci Fi show that you see on CW or another cable channel. It has all the elements of the Sci Fi genre but without the pitfalls. I've tried others recently like Falling Skies and Fringe but they had the shortcomings that come with the genre. I remember the first season of Heroes being really good. Orphan Black is way better and much darker.

I generally use Metacritic's score when considering TV shows. I was surprised by Orphan Black having a score in the low 70s. I can't imagine how Orphan Black has the same score as Falling Skies. I expected it to be in the low to mid 80s.

Tatiana Maslany deserves all the hype she is getting. The show fails or succeeds with her being able to pull it off. She is incredible. 
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

polkablues

I watched this series a couple weeks ago, and I completely agree. The show itself is good, clever, and entertaining, but Tatiana Maslany is a revelation. To pull off what she does here, not only convincingly playing multiple characters, but often playing one character pretending to be another character, is impressive as all hell, and it's never anything less than totally believable.
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

Tatiana really sells it, and it never feels like she's showing off. My favorite is the soccer mom character, that bitch is nuts. The tone is fun but never corny and I'll never look at glue guns the same.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty