Tony Scott

Started by gwfa, May 16, 2004, 10:01:18 AM

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Tony Scott dances to '80s tune
Film based on Chippendales creator Banerjee
Source: Variety

Tony Scott has become attached to direct a film about the rise and fall of Steve Banerjee, the man responsible for creating Chippendales, who was consumed by excess and competition when the male strip clubs became a phenomenon in the 1980s.

Scott and his Scott Free banner will produce with David Permut's Permut Presentations and Firoz Nadiadwala.

Script will be written by Lisa Schrager, who penned the Heidi Fleiss story "Pay the Girl" for Nicole Kidman at Paramount and "Gangsta Bitches" at Universal. She will adapt a manuscript written by Rodney Sheldon.

Pic is being financed from a private equity fund raised out of India by Permut.

With a tone similar to the Scott-directed "True Romance," pic will follow the improbable rise and fall of Banerjee, who went from pumping gas in Culver City to running a high-end nightclub that evolved into Chippendales. After hiring a New York choreographer to polish the all-male dance troupe, Banerjee became wildly rich, as well as unreasonably competitive and paranoid. Banerjee hired a hitman to murder the choreographer when negotiations went sour. After being arrested, Banerjee died in jail awaiting trial.

Scott is currently directing the Denzel Washington-Chris Pine starrer "Unstoppable" for 20th Century Fox.

Permut produced "Youth in Revolt," the Michael Cera-Zach Galifianakis comedy that Dimension opens early next year.

Peter Saphier will be executive producer and Steve Longi will be co-producer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Scott Plots `Potsdamer Platz' With Javier Bardem, Jason Statham And Mickey Rourke
By MIKE FLEMING; Deadline Hollywood

EXCLUSIVE:Potzdamer Platz is shaping up as to be the next film that Tony Scott will direct. He has Javier Bardem, Jason Statham and Mickey Rourke circling--along with three financiers--for a drama about two soldiers in a New Jersey-based crime family who try to expand internationally.

By the time the picture pulls together its financing and distribution for a fall start, it will probably have a new title. Potzdamer Platz refers to a train station and bustling commerce center in Germany, and I'm told the venue is being changed to Puerto Rico.

I'd heard that in addition to that trio of thesps, Scott was hoping to coax his Crimson Tide star Gene Hackman into starring. I'm told by insiders that's not going to happen, which likely means that Hackman—who last starred in 2004's Welcome to Mooseport—is content writing books and isn't eager to return to the screen.

Scott and his Scott Free banner have been working on Potzdamer Platz since the script was acquired in 2000. The script by Buddy Giovinazzo has been rewritten by the Sexy Beast team of David Scinto and Louis Mellis. The film is being sold by CAA's Film Finance Group. While word is that Relativity and Lionsgate are among the interested parties, 20th Century Fox gets first crack at the picture, because Scott Free is based there. The other financiers in the mix are Metropolitan, Sammy Hadida's company which was involved in Scott's True Romance, Inferno, and QED International are circling along with Relativity for the $38 million budget drama.

Scott, who most recently completed the runaway train drama Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine for Fox, has long held Potzdamer Platz close to his heart and brought it up for years in junket interviews along with other passion projects that include a remake of the Walter Hill-directed Warriors. Looks like Scott is finally going to get this one before the cameras
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tony Scott to Direct Nemesis for Fox
by SuperHeroHype

20th Century Fox has acquired the film rights to writer Mark Millar ("Wanted," "Kick-Ass") and artist Steve McNiven's graphic novel "Nemesis," with Tony Scott attached to direct and Scott Free producing. Marvel describes the title as follows:

CIVIL WAR? Nothing. KICK-ASS? A warmup. What if the smartest, toughest costumed bad ass in the world was totally evil? Meet Nemesis. He's systematically been destroying the lives of every police chief in Asia, and he's now set his sights on Washington, DC. Between you and me, the police don't have a chance. Do not miss the book that EVERYONE will be talking about by the creative team that made CIVIL WAR the biggest book of the decade.

Millar commented on the announced on his official site:

Oh, man. It's so good to finally be able to talk about this:

The man who shot Maverick in Top Gun, Bruce in the Last Boy Scout, yelled action for Will Smith in Enemy of the State, directed Denzel in Man on Fire (one of the finest revenge movies ever made), had Tarantino rework Hackman's dialogue in Crimson Tide and gave me Deneuve's naughtiest performance in The Hunger is directing our movie. Oh, AND he did True Romance, for my money the best of all the Tarantino flicks. Tony Scott: I can't even pretend to be cool about this.

Bryan Hitch and I would reference Tony on a weekly basis when we were doing The Ultimates. Our dream was an Ultimates movie with Scott directing because he can do the character work and the intensity, but also handle scale and action like practically no other. The idea of a him helming a superhero movie had us giddy and here he is directing the one Steve McNiven and I created. We found out last Friday night and managed to keep a secret from all but a few of our closest friends and family. But this is the call I had a couple of weeks back, which I described as the most exciting of my career; Tony on the blower chatting about how he wanted to shoot certain scenes if we gave him the rights. He was buzzing about it, describing Steve as the best comic book artist he's seen in over twenty years. We talked casting, we talked budget (and we're talking way more than Wanted and Kick-Ass put together here in terms of money for him to play with) and we talked with Fox about making this into a major franchise, something they're really going to invest their time and energy into.

As you can imagine, I'm more than excited. Steve is delirious and this puts our books instantly in an entirely different league in Hollywood terms. Tony said this was a very timely project and Fox want to get this moving as soon as possible. Next up is a script and the writer we talked about did one of my top five movies of all time. The actor he's shooting for as the lead character is going to blow your socks off.

I'm happy and Steve's happy. This has been the most exciting week you can imagine and we're enormously appreciative of all the people who have been waiting around for the twenty-four hours we've been waiting for the news to go live. It's incredibly affirming to have people so into the work that they care enough and apologies for the delay in getting this out there, but we hope you agree this is awesome news.

Very best wishes,
MM

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tony Scott Boarding 'The Wild Bunch' While Revving 'Hell's Angels' As Next Pic
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Deadline revealed this morning that Ridley Scott was returning to his sci-fi classic Blade Runner. His Scott Free partner and brother Tony Scott is also getting serious about a new version of a movie classic. Scott is in talks with Warner Bros to direct a reboot of the 1969 Sam Peckinpah-directed The Wild Bunch. This film becomes one of three or so that Scott is most eager to direct as his follow-up to the Denzel Washington-Chris Pine action film Unstoppable.

Scott's next assignment will be Hell's Angels, though its timing will depend on whether he gets the actor he wants to play gang leader Sonny Barger. I'm told that he wants Jeff Bridges. They've not met face to face yet, because Bridges is right now touring his self-titled musical album that he recorded after he won the Oscar playing Bad Blake in Crazy Heart. Once Bridges gets back to film work, he's booked to star with Ryan Reynolds in Universal's R.I.P.D. and Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures' The Seventh Son. If Scott has his heart set on Bridges and the actor says yes, Hell's Angels won't get underway until next spring or later. Fox 2000's Hell's Angels is set around the Laughlin riots of 2001 when the Angels were caught up in a war with rival gang The Mongols. The drama revolves around a friendship that develops between Barger and a young drifter mechanic with a gift for fixing motorcycles. The script is in by Scott Frank, who did numerous rewrites of an earlier draft by Stephen Gaghan.

Scott is also making a high priority of the reinvention of his 1986 Tom Cruise hit Top Gun. I'm not sure where this leaves the remake of Potzdamer Platz and an adaptation of the John Grisham novel The Associate, two films that were on Scott's front burner.

The original The Wild Bunch was about an aging group of outlaws that try for one last score on the Texas-Mexico border in 1913, as the Old West changes around them. The original starred William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan and Warren Oates. The studio has tried for years to get this going, once getting a script from Training Day's David Ayer. It's early days on the project, but Scott and producer Jerry Weintraub have a take for the movie and Brian Helgeland will draft it. Scott is repped by CAA.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Is 'Lucky Strike' Next Up For Tony Scott, With Vince Vaughn?
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Might we finally have an answer to the question: what film will Tony Scott next direct? Things are starting to look up for Lucky Strike, a project that is gaining steam. In the configuration I'm hearing about, Vince Vaughn would star, with a potential late summer or early fall start date and Emmett/Furla Films funding the $80 million film and 20th Century Fox distributing. That's where Scott Free has its deal, and Scott Free will produce with Randall Emmett and George Furla. The latter have been footing the bill for a group of high profile projects, the most recent 2 Guns, the drama that has come together with Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg, with Universal is distributing domestically and Sony World Wide Acquisitions buying most territories around the world.

Henry Bean wrote Lucky Strike, an action film in which a DEA agent teams with a drug runner to take down a drug cartel. Scott, who last directed Unstoppable, has liked this project for a long time. He has also been working hard on Hell's Angels, which was scripted by Scott Frank. And what about that remake of Walter Hill's The Warriors?

Skeleton FilmWorks

malkovich

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

InTylerWeTrust

:(   Oh god no... This is so fucked up... he was one of my favorites.

"May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest... and goodnight sweet prince"

R.I.P
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Fernando

MacGuffin

I am shocked.

When I worked on Crimson Tide, he was so kind to us and such a funny man.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

this is just terrible.

Pozer

just crossed this bridge last week.

that's such an odd location though i guess if the thought is bridge in LA....bizarre.

wonder if brother scott's the counselor will stop shooting.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pubrick

Can't say I knew much about him outside of his films (didn't know he had a favourite red cap for example).. but still, kinda shocking way to go. He's definitely one of the better known directors, so someone will probably end up revealing what the suicide note said or what the reason might've been, i gotta say i'm morbidly curious. not that it's any of our business..
under the paving stones.