A modest proposal

Started by Outpatient_Cowboy, April 07, 2004, 10:04:54 PM

Outpatient_Cowboy

Hey, just a thought, you can call me crazy but I was thinking-
what if everyone here buckled down together and we became a more active writing and brainstorming community. I know this was probably everyone's intentions in the beginning, and I'm not sure how exactly to implement my idea, but the thought still remains. I find that it is frequently difficult to meet like minded people who care about film and stories, other than here, people actually took some time out of their day to give me their thoughts (thanks by the way) Why cant we all progressively take it to the next level? More script submissions, more often and specific critique, open to anyone and everyone.
I could just be rambling- just thought I'd share my thoughts.
"...like nailing Jello to a tree"

ono

The problem with that is you really shouldn't post your ideas on the Internet.  Not that there are people actively seeking to steal them, but you never know.  One could be gold.  And that's why, generally speaking, these kinds of forums don't get much traffic.

picolas

feature presentation should be brought back in some form.

The Perineum Falcon

I agree. But it's not limited to scripts, right? People can share their poetry and prose too, yes? I hope so, cause I got some poetry due that's in need of some sprucing up....

And I too would like to see 'Feature Presentation' brought back. I miss it so.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ono

Quote from: picolasfeature presentation should be brought back in some form.
Agreed.  I mentioned that when the site changed its layout.  Blackman seemed to like the idea but nothing ever materialized.  Like I said, if people could link to movies externally the problem of bandwidth wouldn't be a problem.

Outpatient_Cowboy

yeah you are right about that Onomatopoeia,
well I can solemnly promise that I will never steal anyone's idea, but I know that's probably not enough. I most definitely agree that Feature Presentation should return, and as for other writings as well- why limit this to merely screenplays? However, it's primary purpose should definitely be dedicated to screenwriting. Well I feel that if people are comfortable with sharing their ideas, we should all take a collective honor pledge (though it's pointless) but more importantly offer them as good a critique service as possible.

matt35mm

Man, I KNEW there used to be some sort of feature where we could show our films... but that got taken away before I registered here.  I think we should bring that back.  Why was it taken away?

SoNowThen

Quote from: Outpatient_CowboyHey, just a thought, you can call me crazy but I was thinking-
what if everyone here buckled down together and we became a more active writing and brainstorming community.

Group writing/scripting is about the most useless thing I can possibly think of. Right up there with paying someone (who can't even get a script sold) $1000 to "read and critique" your work. Ugh.

My two pennies, anyway.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

Let's get this out of the way, in case any one missed it: We can't host movies anymore. You would have to find your own place to link to. We could host scripts as text files and small stuff like that, but gone are the days of downloading mpegs from Xixax.

We could make a new forum for linking to movies (and move tons of threads there to being with). Do we want another forum for miscellaneous stuff like art, poetry, music, etc?

Scripts can just be posted in Brainstorming & Feedback. And you can PM me if you really need help hosting a script.

kotte

I talked to Mac about it and I think it would be a good idea to bring back Feature Presentation as it was before, with the exception of hosting it ourself.

molly

i had a problem in my writing to move my plot and my characters to the next level. Like i'm gonna hurt them or i don't know what, be in some way unfair or harsh to them. So i would stuck on a certain level, not being able to proceed. I joined film forum, to help me get rid of that unhappy habit, because i thought movie-writers don't have that problem, they have to say everything they have to say in three hours maximum.
I hope you found something useful in my posts.

Raikus

There's nothing stopping people from posting links to their shorts or other works in this forum. Xixax simply had way to much bandwidth used up by the video hosting before--simple concept.

There's plenty of good hosting providers that only charge around $5 a month for 200 MB of space and 5 GB of bandwidth. Hostfolks.com is who I use and they're reliable.

If you want to post your short, just host it somewhere and provide a link.
----------
Oh, and commenting on the original topic, I'm a bit cautious of posting a feature script on the web. I've got no problem with sending it to those I "trust" (which is naive in and of itself) but to have it on here where anyone has the ability to google it and use it--that's a bit much.

I'd love to get more feedback on my projects, though. What if we had a password protected section that the public couldn't access? And when you signed up for it, you'd have the legaleze that stated "All ideas read are the property of the original poster, etc., etc." Just something that could protect the author when they post their works. It wouldn't be complete protection but you'd have a small group of people with access (not the 1200 registered Xixax users and countless internet people).
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: kotteI talked to Mac about it and I think it would be a good idea to bring back Feature Presentation as it was before, with the exception of hosting it ourself.
The only difference being (I assume) instead of one of us doing an official-ish poll with credits, it would just be a free-for-all. I guess.

molly

There is http://www.blogit.com you can put your work, but i'm not sure about the rights and their protection. Haven't read it all.

Outpatient_Cowboy

I think the password protected idea is a very legitamite solution to the problem, I think if possible we should constitute such an event.