The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

yes. this is what i wanted. lets get some discussion going.

the carol covering thing makes PERFECT sense now. i love it. rewatching the part where rick takes carol on the trip, it really does add up.

regarding the governor using his fists, i noticed the gun thing too, and i immediately recognized it as just being personal. he just wants to hurt him in an intimate because he's compiling everything that has gone wrong into being ricks fault. which is awesome when you set it next to rick completely absolving himself of responsibility when he mentions the council.

Tictacbk

I've got a lot of problems with The Walking Dead.  I find the only way to enjoy the show is to constantly make up excuses for it.  But all the illogical decision-making and contrived storytelling aside (and they are getting better about that), I think my largest complaint is that the show is almost entirely devoid of humor. I get that the world they're living in is a bleak one, but so is drug-riddled Baltimore.  Hell, The Wire is probably the most cynical show there is, but it still managed to be hilarious, and often.  Same goes for the Sopranos.  You can have the best parts of your show be the deaths and defeats, but those can't be the only good parts, or else it just gets tired.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Tictacbk on December 03, 2013, 06:14:10 PMI think my largest complaint is that the show is almost entirely devoid of humor.

I agree...

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 23, 2013, 12:35:13 AMIt's definitely not a show I would ever binge watch, but a weekly dose of humorless post-apocalyptic frontier life is just about right.

The lack of humor anywhere really is astonishing. I think they tried something a few weeks ago where Michonne was joking with Darryl or something... it translated as something that was perhaps funny to them but definitely not to us. Herschel has had a few gentle old man wisecracks of a similar nature. All other humor in the show, I think, has been unintentional. Perhaps it's too bad that the unintentional humor is drying up, because over the course of the series the sheer volume of it has sort of made up for the lack of intentional humor.

On that topic... I just realized T-Dog is exactly like Chris from Homeland. Quiet, dependable, stoic, doesn't cause drama, presumably takes care of business, gets fewer and fewer lines until he inevitably fades into the scenery. I guess we'll know Chris's brutal death is imminent when he gets a full episode of character-building.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

haha, i was just about to defend this by listing my favorite comedic moments of the show and realized they were ALL UNINTENTIONAL.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

"I see a bad moon a-risin'..."

and a modicum of character development if any

Kal

Has anyone seen last nights episode?

SPOILERS OF COURSE

Pretty great comeback. I like it when they focus on a couple of characters instead of trying to show what everyone is doing at once. This show is amazing at building suspense. It's great to see Carl growing up and having some balls. The scene with Rick coming 'back to life' was pretty fucking awesome.

NOTHING BUT SPOILERS
-
-
-
good god damn. this season is definitely reminding us why we bother.
bullet points.

- the technical quality of this episode is shown perfectly through the Carl scenes because he is a terrible actor yet it doesnt take away from his contribution to it and the episode in general. they were really great. his outburst at passed out rick was so cheesy and awful but it still fit somehow, and i almost forgot about it after he signs the door and eats the pudding. that was just awesome, it was like a stephen king b movie where you just cheer for the triumphant little kid who's got problems.

- the final scene was fucking brilliant. i literally teared up a little bit at michonne's reaction. and then rick's final line made me want to applaud.

- so are we to take away from michonne and the black chick that's someone she knows? or her constantly remembering people from the past just makes her go apeshit?

- did anyone else find the dream scene unnecessarily confusing? i dont know how much of it was actually fantasy, i always hoped she and her life was pretty ghetto before everything happened. those dudes went from acting super white to super weird and awkward.

- michonne and carl both talk to people through themselves in this episode. wonder if that was intentional, because those were definitely the weakest parts of this episode.

N

The closeup leading Carl looks kinda good, I might try get back into it.

Mel

4x10 SPOILERS

And again it is mixed bag. On one hand splitting the group works for the show - so we can get some rest from leadership problems and communal decision making. Shuffling was used to advantage - some interesting pairs there. On other hand some story advancements are very rough. Before I will describe that, I want to talk about most scary/funny scene so far in the series.

Choking of a baby. I couldn't hold myself with this close-up, maybe with different setup, my reaction would be different. I was laughing, because whole deal felt very cheesy and I was thinking about young parents freaking up, while watching this scene.

Now the bad. Tyreese and girls are example of some choppy writing. Carol just shows up from nowhere and dying man provides last line, which will direct narrative - how convenient. Maggie and bus - that scene didn't convince me either. I don't think show has enough guts to kill Glenn off-screen. End of rant.

Now we are sure that there is something very wrong/disturbing with the girl. I have hopes for what will come.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

diggler

I thought the Tyreese/girls segment was the best of the episode, or at least the only one that approached true horror. The concept of dealing with a baby in the zombie apocalypse isn't something the show has explored very much. Psycho girl smothering the baby should've felt less ridiculous, but I think it's obvious now that Carol took the fall for her and she murdered and burned those bodies at the prison.

Glenn looked like a Ninja Turtle.

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

Wow, Carl and blonde girl really can't act, can they?

I thought I knew how bad blonde girl was, but her absolute failure in this episode basically smeared excrement across what might have been a compelling opener. It played like parody. I mean really, they had her reading from her journal as narration. If you're going to do that to an actor, why her? Are the writers trying to get her fired? You could absolutely feel her struggling with each acting choice as she botched each line... it was excruciating. Things didn't improve when she started talking in real time. The "I'll go tracking by myself!" scene where she ran off in a huff transported me directly back to a high school auditorium watching an actor who's not quite sure how to move or what to do with their body, delivering lines as if they're reading off a page.

Carl was slightly better, but still clearly learning how to act. But given the cookie-cutter surly teen content he was working with, my instinct is to blame the writers, because Carl has not been this bad in the past. And he can competently eat a can of pudding. (Why didn't he take the lid all the way off? That really bothered me. It was this awkward metal disc dominating the scene.)

To paraphrase June Diane Raphael, performances like these make you realize that acting is actually really hard.

And then, Glen and Maggie delivered some of the best acting the show has ever seen. Glen in particular. Maybe they were benefitting from contrast, but it certainly seemed masterful to me.

Other things:

Is blonde girl going to be Darryl's love interest now? She seems to be melting through his rough exterior a little bit (he pointedly stopped when she was crying attempting to cry), and they gave Darryl a save the cat moment (giving her the hat to put the fruit in). Also, when she told Darryl "we should do something!" I seriously thought she was propositioning him and/or that I had misheard the line. I don't remember seeing Darryl raise an eyebrow, but it seems like she was at least testing the waters. She was probably going for the double meaning.

Was psycho girl trying to smother the baby, or did she not understand that she only needed to cover the mouth, or is that supposed to be ambiguous? And did Carol see her doing this?

I'm very happy that the ex-police officer or whatever escaped with Glen. Her character has a lot of potential and is actually delivering a lot already.

Michonne's dream sequence was the best thing about these two episodes, definitely one of the top 3 scenes this season so far. I loved it. I was giddy all the way through, like... wait, what show am I watching right now?

spoilers but not really

what an annoying fucking show.
the first episode with michonne and rick and carl was awesome. like beautifully cinematic and compelling and stuff. it was so awesome, that carls horrible acting was super forgivable. i mean jesus. the only thing cool with last episode was some partial moments or even seconds of rick.  but the dialogue was unforgivable. these two new guys are all SyFy channel "i have the new cure im smarter than you meh!". and the guy smiling killing walkers? who gives a shit, yall did that with shane kind of, and way too much with governor. carl and michonnes dialogue in this episode was fucking ridiculous. this show is bordering homeland inconsistency.

Mel

Quote from: 03 on February 24, 2014, 09:57:56 PM
this show is bordering homeland inconsistency.

This defines TWD very well, especially since writing in TV is a marathon, not a sprint.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...