Ronald Reagan

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, February 06, 2004, 04:01:24 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

Happy birthday, Ronnie.  Before he was the US president of the coolest decade in history, he was governor of California, president of SAG, and of course a really bad actor.   For those too young to remember, his wife Nancy was a giant "just say no to drugs" person... she went a little overboard sometimes though.  She was even on an episode of Diffrent Strokes in the 80's... a lot good that did for the cast of the show.   :P

NEON MERCURY

hahahah.......good choice.....

the only thing i have seen him in is that video for "land of confusion"..by Genesis........

SoNowThen

He's the 2nd best thing about Siegel's remake of The Killers.

Happy b-day, Ronnie boy!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Great line from Airplane: "I haven't felt this sick since we saw that Ronald Reagan film!"

I take no joy in his personal infirmities, but I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that I despise the man as far as what he signifies politically and value-wise. I'm going to need one helluva lot of convincing to arrive at the conclusion that the eighties were "cool" at all, with Reagan/Thatcherism on the loose and all the coldness and bleakness, let alone the "coolest decade," a designation that clearly belongs to the seventies on any cultural, intellectual, or political level I can think of. The eighties had The Smiths and some other few scattered cool things... but those things are timeless and not what people remember about the decade, which seems permanently semiotically entwined with Top Gun and Rambo and trickle-down economics and The Cosby Show- Reagan-era effusions if ever there were any- in the minds of most.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Dude, ideological differences aside, don't tell me your ragging on The Cosby Show??!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenDude, ideological differences aside, don't tell me your ragging on The Cosby Show??!!

The only good thing to come from The Cosby Show was the Dr. Hibbert character on The Simpsons. No, I'm not a fan. Much too benign/dull/complacent for me, especially considering the time. I'm sure Reagan and Nance were fans, though.  :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianThe only good thing to come from The Cosby Show was the Dr. Hibbert character on The Simpsons.
and Bleeding Gum Murphy's guest appearance as the cosby kids' 4th grampa.

from episode 'Round Springfield (season 5)

Cosby: Hey, kids!  Meet Grampa Murphy.
Child: We have three grampas already!
Cosby: This one's a great jazz musician.
Child: Oh, they all are.
Cosby: Oh, you see, the kids, they listen to the rap music which
      gives them the brain damage. With their hippin, and the
      hoppin, and the bippin, and the boppin, so they don't know
      what the jazz.. is all about! You see, jazz is like the Jello
      Pudding Pop -- no, actually, it's more like Kodak film -- no,
      actually, jazz is like the New Coke: it'll be around forever, heh heh heh.
under the paving stones.

pete

whoa, what was wrong with the cosby show?  I didn't know people could get offended by that.
but another good cosby reference was in Raw, when Eddie Murphy did Bill Cosboy's "flarn filth flarn" impression.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

godardian

Quote from: petewhoa, what was wrong with the cosby show?  I didn't know people could get offended by that.
but another good cosby reference was in Raw, when Eddie Murphy did Bill Cosboy's "flarn filth flarn" impression.

I'm not offended by it, really... just extremely nonplussed, and then combined with how venerated it is as television...

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: SoNowThenHe's the 2nd best thing about Siegel's remake of The Killers.

Happy b-day, Ronnie boy!

I saw that. It was humorous.