City of God

Started by budgie, January 09, 2003, 01:43:15 PM

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Pedro the Wombati have not.

Go see it.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02
(anyone else here STILL not seen it yet?)

.i haven't .but Best Buy told me that in their ad .that it should be on thier shelves on tues(2/17)............and i like to believe..........i want to believe..........in the greater good of the press..........

lamas

I just caught the end of some MTV News segment about City of God.  John Norris was praising it and he also said that J. Lo and Ben Affleck have both given the movie thumbs up and that the RZA says it's "the most gangsta movie of the year".  Where the fuck were these people a year ago?  I saw this movie in Jan. of 2003.  That's why it didn't get any fucking nominations for foreign film.  Why would anyone care what those no-talents J. Lo and Affleck think about a movie?  What are the odds that City of God catches on and becomes the new Scarface where millions of people miss the point and see a character like Ze as a quotable "cool guy"?  Am i just being film-snobby?

xerxes

the rza has talent man

lamas

I just meant J. Lo and Affleck were talentless.

SoNowThen

Quote from: lamasWhat are the odds that City of God catches on and becomes the new Scarface where millions of people miss the point and see a character like Ze as a quotable "cool guy"?

Hahaha.... probably two to one.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: lamasWhat are the odds that City of God catches on and becomes the new Scarface where millions of people miss the point and see a character like Ze as a quotable "cool guy"?

Hahaha.... probably two to one.
its too bad black people dont like to read or i'd say that was very very possible.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

After all this time, I FINALLY saw this...

Did it live up to the hype? Well, I can see why it's getting all the praise, and it certainly is a great film, but I myself didn't find it a total moving experience. I think budgie said it best, especially the last sentence:

Quote from: budgieExtremely stylish, edgy at times, occasionally over-lush and melodramatic but very skillfully crafted and often brilliant. Subject matter and even the narrative are over-familiar, but it still looks fresh enough... although I'm wondering how much of that is because it's set in a new place cinematically.

I found the opening (trio story) questioning what the big deal was all about and ready to write it off as another disappointment, but once it settled the exposition of introducing characters and place, that's where the film really took off. I'd list it as a best of 2003 (and this was the film I was waiting to see before I made my list), but it might not be a very high placement.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weird. Oh

I'm pretty sickened that MTV is promoting this because MTV ruins everything. I mean they have movies like Honey and Barbershop 2 on their Movie show. And with the brillance of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck in Gigli I'll watch anything they say to  :wink:  
I mean I guess its cool that they are giving mention to a great film but for the wrong reasons. I mean when RZA from the Wu Tang Clan gives it 2 Smoking Uzee's up, I kind of wonder. I actually thought this movie was about how bad violence is, and that its hard for them to escape it?
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

modage

macguffin make your list for 2003!  i'm dying to see it!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Duderino

i finally saw it today and i thought it was a great great, scary film. scary because it's sooo realistic. especially L'il Ze, that's fuckin scary shit. fernando meirielles is a great director and he deserved the oscar nod. anyways, anyone who hasnt seen it, do so.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

SHAFTR

so I finally see this...and I guess overall I'm disappointed.  I enjoyed it, I liked it and I thought it was a good movie.  I'd give it 4/5 stars.  The claims that it is one of the best movies ever or even the best movie of the year I think are a little ridiculous.  I also find the claims about the realism to be ridiculous, the film seemed more fantastical than realist.  I mean everyone looks at the handheld and the 'grittiness" but ignores the 360 degree shots, splitscreens and the use of filters.  I'd say the film is more entertaining than moving.  There are some gruesome scenes but the only reason I found them gruesome is that they involved children, I didn't feel moved.

I even had some problems with the narrative, the story is told through a narrator yet occasionally we'll enter the psychology of another character.  This is just a minor gripe, but I hate when films leave the realm of their storyteller's powers.

With all that said, everything in the film was performed well, and it was a very good film.  I enjoyed it but I don't think my cinematic life would have been hindered had I not ever seen it.  I guess my main problem is I found it to be more pulp than heart.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

rustinglass

Quote from: SHAFTRI mean everyone looks at the handheld and the 'grittiness" but ignores the 360 degree shots, splitscreens and the use of filters.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand, what's the problem with this?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SHAFTR

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: SHAFTRI mean everyone looks at the handheld and the 'grittiness" but ignores the 360 degree shots, splitscreens and the use of filters.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand, what's the problem with this?

When a film is trying to achieve a realism...I think the 360 degree shots, splitscreens & filters counteract that attempt.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRI guess my main problem is I found it to be more pulp than heart.
whats wrong with pulp?  i think your main problem was visitng this thread for the last year and a half without having seen the movie.  hype kills all things.