Tom Tykwer

Started by ono, July 17, 2003, 01:38:48 PM

ono

I'm surprised there's not a topic for this guy.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Tykwer,+Tom

He's probably best known for Lola Rennt (Run Lola Run), but he's also made Heaven, The Princess and the Warrior, among a few more.  I've only seen Lola Rennt, so I'd like to hear more on the others, because I've heard good things, but nothing specific.

I was reminded of him, because in a book I'm reading right now, he was quoted as saying:
QuoteWe haven't even reached, by far, ten percent of what film language can offer, so why do we think it's coming to an end?  We're still at the beginning.  We can still discover so many possibilities.  If we stick to the idea that strong films are always personal, then there's 5.8 billion possibilities for films, 'cause there's that many people whose views we can share.
Very inspiring, if you ask me.

chainsmoking insomniac

Great quote.  I too have only seen Run, Lola, Run but I immediately bought it and it's a treasured member of my collection now...

Now I'm off to IMDB to check out Heaven.  Thanks Jay! ;)

:::Back:::

Sounds great!  Blanchett and Ribisi....haven't seen too many of his films (in fact, only two) but this sounds like a superb film.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

ono

Run Lola Run, I should qualify by saying, is simply great.  Most people know this though.  It's most comparable to Pulp Fiction in its energy level.  Its score is excellent, and the animation incorporated into the film is just perfect.

I wanted to add on to this because I realized I'd been putting off getting the DVD.  I only buy a DVD if the replay, educational, or entertainment value is very high, or if I really like it.  (All good reasons of course, and good to go by when you have a budget.)  Just wanted to know about the DVD - it mentions a commentary: is it good?  Is it in English?  Thanks.

Ghostboy

I was introduced to him through Lola as well, as has everyone else. I think Princess And The Warrior is a better film, although Lola is pretty perfect and more memorable. Heaven was really good...but it had a distinctly minor feel to it (nothing wrong with that, but I think the movie could have been a little longer, a little more effective). Winter Sleepers is intriguing, but ultimately not too great.

Can't wait for his next one, although I can't remember right now what it is exactly...

jonas

I've only seen The Pricess and The Warrior and I thought it was great. Run Lola Run is on my list of rentals. I heard Heaven is only OK, but I might rent it anyway.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

modage

ive only seen Lola and Princess, both of which i liked.  although, i too, think i enjoyed princess a little better.  after the tremendous hype for lola, i think that the gimmick will wear off whereas princess will stand up to more viewings.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Seraphim

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI've only seen Lola Rennt, so I'd like to hear more on the others, because I've heard good things, but nothing specific.

Seen four of his films (Lola rennt, Der Krieger und die Kaiserin (The Princess and the Warrior), Winterschlafer (Winter Sleepers) and Die Todliche Maria).

Of those, I may like Lola rennt the least...

Die Todliche Maria was his first full-length. Very dark, claustrophobic, psychological...GREAT atmosphere!
A lot ot Tykwer-fans think of it as a somewhat less great film, but I don't agree on that.

Winterschlafer, though, is even a bit better. Maybe my favourite Tykwer. Great story, again a superb atmosphere...

Der Krieger und die Kaiserin is just as good, and I think Lola rennt has the most "simple" storyline.

Still, everything he made is worth watching!
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos

godardian

I've only seen Run Lola Run, which was very good, and Heaven, which I was mad about.

Which should I see next? I guess it's a toss-up between Winter Sleepers and The Princess and the Warrior...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianWhich should I see next? I guess it's a toss-up between Winter Sleepers and The Princess and the Warrior...

Princess is a great, great movie. See it.

Cecil

MacGuffin

Tykwer, Col set to go 'International'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Tom Tykwer is getting more cosmopolitan. The German director who made a splash with 1998's "Run Lola Run" is in negotiations to direct "The International" for Columbia Pictures.

The screenplay by Eric Singer revolves around an obsessive Interpol investigator pursuing a powerful international banker involved in money laundering, weapons, drugs and terrorism.

Chuck Roven is producing the action-adventure feature; Richard Suckle also will be involved in a producing capacity. Execs Matt Tolmach and Shannon Gaulding are overseeing for the studio.

Tykwer made his English language debut in 2002 with the Cate Blanchett starrer "Heaven" for Miramax Films and other partners. His credits include the German language features "Winter Sleepers," "Deadly Maria" and "The Princess and the Warrior." Tykwer also is attached to direct the screen adaptation of Patrick Suskind's novel "Perfume," which Bernd Eichinger's Constantin Films is producing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Owen to star in 'The International'
Tykwer film to begin shooting in September
Source: Variety

Columbia has found its "International" man.

The studio landed Clive Owen to topline "The International," an action-thriller about an Interpol agent who investigates corruption at powerful banking institutions. The pic will be directed by Tom Tykwer, with lensing skedded to begin in September.

Eric Singer wrote the script and Mosaic Media Group's Charles Roven and Richard Suckle are producing, along with Lloyd Phillips. John Woo, Terence Chang and Jeff Lurie are exec producing.

Owen, who previously starred in "Closer" for the studio, also stars in New Line's upcoming "Shoot 'Em Up" and "The Golden Age" for U. He's also been cast to reprise his role in the "Sin City" sequel.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Watts has passport for Col's 'Int'l'

Naomi Watts has signed on to star opposite Clive Owen in "The International," an action thriller that Tom Tykwer is directing for Columbia Pictures.

The plot centers on an obsessive Interpol agent (Owen) who spearheads an investigation into one of the world's most high-profile and powerful banking institutions in an attempt to expose them for worldwide arms brokering, corruption and murder. Watts will play a Manhattan assistant district attorney who partners with the agent to take down the bank.

Eric Singer wrote the screenplay.

Mosaic Media Group's Charles Roven and Richard Suckle as well as Lloyd Phillips are producing.

Production is scheduled to begin in Berlin.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tykwer, X Filme team for 'The International'

COLOGNE, Germany -- After a brief sojourn outside the X Filme Creative fold with "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer," director Tom Tykwer and the production shingle are teaming once again on new thriller "The International."

X Filme has come on board as co-producer of the feature, alongside Sony Pictures Entertainment and Studio Babelsberg, X Filme said Friday.

"The International," which stars Clive Owen, Naomi Watts and Armin Mueller-Stahl, begins shooting in September in Babelsberg.

The feature will receive €4 million ($5.4 million) in tax-rebate backing from German state run film fund the DFFF.

Tykwer remains a partner in Berlin-based X Filme. The company has produced all of the director's films with the exception of last year's "Perfume," which was produced by Constantin Film.

Studio Babelsberg, meanwhile, shows no signs of slowing down. The studio confirmed Friday that Stephen Daldry's "The Reader," starring Nicole Kidman, also will shoot on site in the fall.

The adaptation of the Bernd Schlink best-seller will be the fourth major production to shoot in Babelsberg this year. In addition to "The International," both Warner Bros.' "Speed Racer," directed by the Wachowski brothers, and MGM/United Artists' World War II thriller "Valkyrie," starring Tom Cruise, are shooting on Babelsberg's backlot.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tykwer to make tragicomedy 'Drei'
Director returns to German-language filmmaking
Source: Variety

BERLIN -- Tom Tykwer is set to make his first German-language feature in nearly a decade with "Drei" (Three), a Berlin-set comedy-drama centered on a love triangle.

Produced by Berlin-based X Filme, "Drei" is described as a "tragicomic film about love, morality and gender in late modern Germany, set against late modern Berlin backdrops -- a story of a love triangle with social and cultural-philosophical depth."

Tykwer's latest project received Euros 700,000 ($1.03 million) from regional funder Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg.

The Medienboard on Tuesday said 28 productions had received a total of $5.2 million in backing, with the biggest allotment going to Tykwer's film.

Tykwer is also working on an adaptation of U.K. author David Mitchell's 2004 novel "Cloud Atlas" with the Wachowski brothers, as well as a film based on Dave Eggers' 2006 novel "What Is the What," based on the real life story of Sudanese refugee Valentino Achak Deng.

The board also approved $295,997 for Wim Wenders' "Pina," a 3-D docu about the late German choreographer Pina Bausch, who died of cancer in June.

Wenders began work on the project earlier this year but suspended work following Bausch's unexpected death. The filmmaker is now working with Bausch's dance company in Wuppertal to make the film in honor of the renowned avant-garde artist.

Rainer Matsutani's horror film "Das erste Semester," from Neue Schoenhauser Filmproduktion, nabbed $740,061 in funding. Set in a university dorm, pic follows a young female student who moves into a room whose last tenant mysteriously disappeared.

Also receiving support is "The Exchange," from Israeli filmmaker Eran Kolirin ("The Band's Visit") and Berlin-based Pola Pandora Filmproduktion, about a jaded academic looking to break free from his tedious life. The film picked up $295,997.

Skeleton FilmWorks