True Blood

Started by modage, September 06, 2008, 12:32:43 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Speaking for myself, I think True Blood mixes a great B production spirit with some touching thoughts about life, death and society - vampirism is here to reflect about such things as discrimination, politics, sexuality or death. I don't watch this because of horror at all, but because of its subtext and because it entertains me. As I sayd before, I'm not even a fan of these supernatural shows that happen to be on TV, but this one is something else.
Si

private witt

Right on.  I guess that's what I was wondering, how much B movie aesthetic was involved.  As far as the social commentary, I would never get to the point where I would notice such things because of the style of production distracting me.  I suppose that's to my detriment.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

ElPandaRoyal

Yeah, it's pretty much a B-spirited show with something bigger to say. There are vampires, there's a mystery involving a killer, but there are also great moments about love, sex and relationships, even about human condition. But I don't blame you for being distracted by the production - in some episodes, I didn't like some of the stylistc approaches, but those were minor concerns to me. There are also some great moments visually, but this is more about plot, characters and fun to me (oh yeah, it's also really funny at times).
Si

private witt

Do you feel as though the series is as character driven as the rest of the HBO heavyweights?
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

SiliasRuby

I love this show. Its amazing and has just the right mix Epanada is talking about.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: private witt on January 30, 2009, 02:46:41 PM
Do you feel as though the series is as character driven as the rest of the HBO heavyweights?

Yes it is. Even though the plot is very important, it's the characters that made me watch every episode.There even are a couple of episodes that rank among the best stuff that's done on TV these days, and you can tell it's created by the guy who made Six Feet Under. It can be that good sometimes.
Si

MacGuffin

Quote from: Fernando on November 14, 2008, 06:54:26 PM
Keep watching, it gets better and crazier.

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on November 14, 2008, 07:26:40 PM
Yes. Keep watching. You'll know when you get to the episode when everything starts to become really good. I promise.

So I finally finished the first season, and I'm still waiting for that episode you're talking about, and for it getting better. I really just do not care about any of these characters; as mentioned before, I CANNOT STAND TARA! She has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Even Sookie at times gets annoying. And then it really lost me when they added, gasp... shapeshifters?!? C'MON!! I started to gain some interest when Lizzy Caplin's character entered and her and the brother became a tree-hugging Sid and Nancy couple, but then... yeah.

I liked all of the vampire world (Fangtasia; the tribunal), but attention to that side is few and far between. The Christian girl who was turned and LOVES her new freedom, her character should get her own show. She is hilarious.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I love Lizzy Caplan. Especially in this.

My Collection

Bethie

This show gets me. I watch in secret. I look forward to sundays now. Maybe it's Bill..or the theme song.

I really do not like Jason. he better do something soon, b/c right now he's a pussy.
who likes movies anyway

SiliasRuby

My Collection

Fernando

yeah, jason more than a pussy he is the most influential person ever, he cant make his mind up and I bet he and the light's wife will fool around or something

so, this season is great and I love that I have no idea where the hell is going