City of God

Started by budgie, January 09, 2003, 01:43:15 PM

cine

MacGuffin is cruel. . .

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileMacGuffin is cruel. . .

It wasn't my joke. Blame Pawbloe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

so there has been no word since it got indefinitely pushed back?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: CinephileMacGuffin is cruel. . .

It wasn't my joke. Blame Pawbloe.
My apologies.

Pawbloe! SON OF A BITCH!  :twisted:

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02so there has been no word since it got indefinitely pushed back?

It was never pushed back. Pawbloe was making a joke. It's still coming out Feb. 17th.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

ah, i guess i'm a little slow on the take.  note to self: never read news from anyone but macguffin ever again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Oscar pays homage to 'God'

NEW YORK -- What a long, strange pilgrimage to the Oscars it has been for "City of God," Brazilian filmmaker Fernando Meirelles' explosive story of boys growing up in a dangerous neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro. Although the film was submitted for last year's Oscars by Brazil, it failed to earn a nomination as best foreign-language film -- a fact that some insiders attributed to its visceral violence. Miramax Films, which became involved in the project at the script stage, opened the film in U.S. theaters in January 2003. Because of its 2003 theatrical release, the film then became eligible to compete in the other Academy categories. Critics lauded it, but it never expanded beyond 108 theaters. Nevertheless, Miramax has kept it in limited release for more than a year. By year's end, "God" still had not climbed above the $5 million mark, but it topped the foreign-film list of a handful of critics groups and was nominated for a Golden Globe as best import. And now -- a year after the Academy first turned a thumbs down on it -- "City of God" has re-emerged with four nominations in major categories -- best director, best adapted screenplay, best film editing and best cinematography.

"I'm not surprised," said Meirelles, who spent a decade in commercials before venturing into film. Speaking Tuesday from London, where he is prepping his next project, he quickly contradicted himself, adding, "I am shocked! (Last year), I thought that this was not the kind of film for the Academy."

In May, Miramax Films co-chairman Harvey Weinstein made a stand -- literally -- at the Festival de Cannes on "City's" behalf. At the mini-major's annual international distributors' luncheon by the seashore, he vowed to rerelease Meirelles' movie in the United States in December for Academy Awards consideration.

"In America, it's doing OK," Weinstein said at Cannes. "And in additional territories too. But I am frustrated, and I am going to rerelease it for Academy season. You never give up on the things you love." The movie mogul even asked his distribution partners to hold back releasing "God" to home video to get the campaign going.

"Harvey was into the film," Meirelles said Tuesday. "We hear a lot of stories about Miramax. But he loves the film, and this is not big business for him. It's much more his (passion) for the movie."

"I'm so proud of 'City of God,' " Weinstein testified Tuesday. "We resisted putting it out on video, and the minute the screener ban was lifted, we sent it out. We worked hard to let Academy members know that though the film wasn't eligible last year, it is eligible in other categories this year. Now, we're going to be putting the movie out on 200 screens, and we'll eventually get that number up to 500 screens."

In recent years, the Academy has become more willing to honor foreign-language films in the major categories. Last year, for example, Sony Pictures Classics pulled off a coup with "Talk to Her," directed by Spanish helmer Pedro Almodovar. Although it was not recognized as the official Oscar foreign-language entry from Spain, the distributor fought back by waging a war in the major categories, which brought Almodovar two nominations -- for best original screenplay and best director -- and a win for screenplay.

Said Meirelles: "The other nominations, in a way, explain the success of ('City'). This film had a lot to do with the actors, and they are all almost amateurs. They are real -- there is a freshness to their acting."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nominees react

Tuesday was a big day for Fernando Meirelles. The helmer behind "City of God" received a much-coveted best director nomination and also saw his film receive a best adapted screenplay nomination for Braulio Mantovani. "This is crazy," he said from London, where he is preparing to shoot an adaptation of John Le Carre's "The Constant Gardener." "What is going on over there at the Academy?" Clearly, voters responded to his Brazilian drama and took advantage of a 1999 rule change that allowed a film entered in a foreign-language category in a given year and not nominated to compete in other categories the following year if they have their first U.S. release in that year. Why does he think voters responded well to his film? "I can't compare it to the other films, but 'City of God' has a certain freshness because the actors are not professional (and) the way that it's shot and the editing -- all those things," he said. "I don't feel responsible for that, it's just (that) all the different parts of the movie came together. And Miramax also did good work in rereleasing the film, too."

Daniel Rezende is having an unimaginable January. His work on the first movie he ever edited, "City of God," was Oscar-nominated Tuesday. His third project, Walter Salles' "The Motorcycle Diaries," was a darling of Sundance last week. And all the resulting attention has taken the young editor by complete surprise. "I was going to the gym, and I saw ('City of God' director) Fernando (Meirelles) on the TV. I shouted 'Oh my God!' and everyone looked at me. I went right back home and tried to find out what was going on," he said. He added that he has been besieged with calls ever since. "I couldn't even get a cup of water," he said. "I could just eat toast." Rezende is on location in Canada on director Alfonso Beato's "Dark Water," starring Jennifer Connelly and Tim Roth. "I should be working right now, but I am playing hooky," he said. "This is something that will take me a while to understand."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinOscar pays homage to 'God'
"I don't feel responsible for that, "
yeah.. wasn't this film co-directed by a chick, Katia Lund? what is going on here, is she invisible?
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

On a current bootleg box going around in this indie rental place, she's the only one listed as director...

the mystery continues
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: PawbloeCity of God DVD delayed, controversy ensues
that was such a funny joke...

Buena Vista have kindly got in touch with us regarding a delay for the region one release of City of God which stars the likes of Jefechander Suplino, Alice Braga and Emerson Gomes. The film was originally scheduled for a release on the 17th February, although it has now been put back until the 8th June this year. Presumably this has something to do with the recent Oscar nominations. The retail price will remain at $29.99.

4 more months isnt a big deal.

©brad

Quote from: themodernage024 more months isnt a big deal.

in movie fanboy time, that's like 3 years dude.

modage

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: themodernage024 more months isnt a big deal.

in movie fanboy time, that's like 3 years dude.
it was the most intense sarcasm/denial i could muster as i proudly present the WORST NEWS OF THE WHOLE YEAR!  along with kill bill and ed wood. i had a feeling this would happen as soon as i heard about the oscar noms.  reading that article really started to worry me.  now our worst fears have come true.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02Buena Vista have kindly got in touch with us regarding a delay
Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil Disney Evil

modage

hey wait!  i just realized the THREE BIGGEST GEEK FUCK-OVER'S OF THE YEAR (and it's only been a month), are ALL BY MIRAMAX AND DISNEY!!!

KILL BILL 2 and KILL BILL 1 DVD
ED WOOD DVD
CITY OF GOD DVD

pete

and we ain't even talking about the foreign movies they'd butchered.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton