Live 8 - Live Aid 2

Started by MacGuffin, June 01, 2005, 12:12:49 AM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Thor
Quote from: mogwaiwhat's the reason behind why roger waters and the others didn't talk to each other for over two decades?

Roger Waters is an Arse!

hahaha..that is a possibility...

but i think that the 20 year silent treatment was due to the fact that waters is a litle eccentric/egomaniac....and after waters split floyd after the album, "the final cut", the remaining members went on to make albums under then name pink floyd, waters sued the bandmembers b/c of this and waters lost..............................................................................
thats has to be some of the cause....

as for the performance i fucking loved it...floyd is my alltimefavoriteband.....and i love waters.......the wall/the final cut/the pros and cons of hitchiking/amused to death/radio kaos aree all masterpieces IMO.....and it was great to see that he was the guy at the end of the show to gather the guys for a group hug...and during the show he was smiling the most....whole thing sent chills down my spine....

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwai (windows media)
that's awesome, can u get the richard ashcroft performance? thanks.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: StefenThis has been so stupid all day long, a band will play and ill get into it then MTV will cut away to their vee jays. They literally played about two minutes of each performance then would cut away for talking points like what does blink 182 think about famine and then 5 minutes of commercials.

Live 8's safety Net
AOL catches and conveys the action as MTV's coverage more than disappoints.
By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

Everyone knows MTV has long lost interest in pop music, so why doesn't the cable channel just admit it and leave the coverage of historic events, such as the humanitarian Live 8 concerts, to someone with respect for the music and its audience?

MTV's coverage of Saturday's event, designed to combat poverty in Africa, was beyond embarrassing. It was pitiful.

I was warned long ago to avoid overkill as a critic, but bear with me this time. Add "pathetic" to the list.

Watching it with others in the newsroom led to howls of disbelief as the channel kept cutting away from key performances, including the much-awaited reunion of Pink Floyd, for mindless chatter from the MTV hosts about, golly-gee, how exciting it was to have these acts onstage.

Was Kurt Loder, a rare MTV voice with an understanding of rock history, on vacation?

"This was an important concert, an important cause, and God knows how many millions of viewers turned it off early out of frustration," Steve Smith of Temple City wrote in an e-mail to The Times.

Jason McCartney of Santa Barbara complained in an e-mail about excessive commercials and cutting away from memorable songs: "Showing only a portion of Bono's introduction to 'One' and then cutting away to a commercial and not even showing the song itself."

The first of MTV's many misjudgments was basing its coverage in Philadelphia, one of the 10 Live 8 locales, rather than in London, the musical and spiritual heart of the day.

A second error was showing the same programming on MTV and sister channel VH1.

If the MTV brain trust understood the significance of the day, one channel should have broadcast the London show in its entirety live, starting at 6 a.m. Pacific time.

It could have then shown the entire Philadelphia show live on the other outlet and, ideally, run highlights from the other cities on MTV2 or in later broadcasts on MTV or VH1.

My plan may not have been perfect, but it took only 15 seconds to think of it.

So you know the MTV powers must have had other priorities in mind if they didn't come up with something similar.

Was doing it right too expensive for a company that has made billions off rock 'n' roll over the years?

Or did it just not care?

MTV's communication breakdown couldn't have come at a worse time for the channel's credibility, because it probably encouraged hundreds of thousands of rock fans to go to the Internet, where America Online did a spectacular job of presenting the Live 8 music.

The Internet service provider's offer to show the music free to anyone wasn't without its problems.

Because of hookup difficulties, I missed the opening moments of the London concert, where Paul McCartney teamed with U2 on the Beatles' joyful "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and Coldplay joined with singer Richard Ashcroft for a rendition of the Verve's haunting "Bitter Sweet Symphony."

After trying five computers,I located one that accepted the AOL live feed. From then on,the day was a treat. You really felt part of a global rock experience.

Not only could you watch the London show in its entirety, mercifully free of the gushing and self-promotion of the MTV hosts, but advisories on the screen also alerted you to what was happening simultaneously onstage in Live 8 concerts in Berlin, Rome, Toronto, Philadelphia and Paris.

At one point early in the day, for instance, you could read that Shakira was coming up in Paris, while Annie Lennox was on in London and Bon Jovi was taking the stage in Philadelphia.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize for nearly an hour that those alerts stay on the screen until you "refresh" the directory. I don't know how much good music I missed by not even checking in on Philadelphia because I didn't want to see Bon Jovi.

Once I noticed the refresh button, the day was a series of frequently exciting choices.

Did you click on London to watch R.E.M. playing "Man on the Moon" or on Berlin to see Green Day salute the majesty of the Live 8 cause with its version of Queen's "We Are the Champions"?

Later, Sting in Londonwent up against Roxy Music in Berlin.

Fortunately, AOL is already replaying all the concerts and plans to let you call up any performance on demand.

And how were the performances? Mixed, as you'd expect when we're talking about more than 150 acts.

Even on the London show, I'd have preferred fewer acts so that the better ones could have had more time onstage. Forget Dido, Keane, Joss Stone, Velvet Revolver, Robbie Williams. Give more time to U2, Coldplay, R.E.M., the Who, Paul McCartney and Pink Floyd.

But at least Live 8 driving force Bob Geldof had a good excuse for putting as many bestsellers on stage as possible: the campaign to rescue Africa. He wants to show he's got public opinion on his side when the issue is considered this week by government leaders at the G8 summit in Scotland.

What's MTV's excuse for its sorry coverage?

It's a good thing it's a holi-day today. They've got time to think of answers before they start looking at their e-mails Tuesday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Quote from: Pubrick
i wish i could find that one as well, i found the pink floyd on at the imdb message boards. i searched on richard but i found nothing. his performance was really great. and i'd like to add that the who rocked the house too.

Kal

I dont know how many people here speak spanish (I dont think many), but for the ones interested there is a very good articule about this written by my brother.

You can find it at www.eliberoamericano.com and the article is called "Para Ayudar a Africa" ("To Help Africa"). Its in the front page today.

Fernando

Quote from: mogwai
they all seemed to enjoy their performance especially the drummer (what's his name...) who played with his eyes closed for a moment. erm, what's the reason behind why roger waters and the others didn't talk to each other for over two decades?

edit:

(windows media)

Nick Mason mog.

Thanks for the link, it's awesome!!!

Quote from: pubrick*dreamy sigh*

These guys have to make another tour.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Pubrick
i wish i could find that one as well, i found the pink floyd on at the imdb message boards. i searched on richard but i found nothing.

Quote from: MacGuffinFortunately, AOL is already replaying all the concerts and plans to let you call up any performance on demand.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

mogwai

Obviously it was all to get the message across, and it seems a bit churlish to mention but LIVE 8 has had several inadvertent beneficiaries – namely the artists who played it.

As with the 1985 Live Aid, those bands that took part on July 2 have experienced a "chart bounce" that has seen their album sales leap up in the immediate aftermath of the concert.

Keeping tabs on the artists who played in Hyde Park, HMV has revealed that fans rushed to the shops yesterday (July 3) to purchase albums of the likes of Pink Floyd, Robbie Williams and Razorlight , all of whom have seen their sales leap up.

The only person not to benefit from the Live 8 effect seems to be Pete Doherty, however with no Babyshambles album available this is based on The Libertines' sales, which have fallen.

Also Coldplay have only recorded a modest increase, but according to the music retailer, that's because they've been shifting loads of albums for the last few weeks and still sold more albums than anyone else yesterday.

According to HMV the Live 8 artists have seen their album sales increase by the following percentage:

1. Pink Floyd 'Echoes - Best Of' - 1343%
2. The Who 'Then & Now' - 863%
3. Annie Lennox 'Eurythmics Greatest Hits' - 500%
4. Dido 'Life for Rent' - 412%
5. Razorlight 'Up all Night' - 335%
6. Robbie Williams 'Greatest Hits' - 320%
7. Joss Stone 'Mind, Body & Soul' - 309%
8. Sting 'Greatest Hits' - 300%
9. Travis 'Singles' - 268%
10. Madonna 'Immaculate Collection' - 200%
11. Scissor Sisters 'Scissor Sisters' - 174%
12. Mariah Carey 'Greatest Hits' - 170%
13. Snoop Dogg 'Rhythm & Gangsta' - 166%
14. The Killers 'Hot Fuss' - 131%
15. U2 'Best Of: 1990 – 2000' - 116%
16. Elton John 'Greatest Hits 1970 – 2002' - 111%
17. Keane 'Hopes & Fears' - 101%
18. The Beatles 'Number 1s' - 71%
19. Snow Patrol 'Final Straw' - 69%
20. REM 'Reveal' - 50%
21. Stereophonics 'Language, Sex, Violence, Other' - 36%
22. Coldplay 'X&Y' - 3%
23. The Libertines 'Up The Bracket' -35%

The Live 8 effect is expected to continue as the week goes on, with HMV's Gennaro Castaldo explaining: "This snapshot still shows that, like its predecessor 20 years ago, the Live 8 concert is having a marked effect on sales of featured artist recordings. It's likely this impact will become more pronounced throughout the week."

Redlum

G8 leaders agree $50bn aid boost
Prime Minister Tony Blair says the G8 has agreed a $50bn (£28.8bn) aid boost, as leaders sign the communique.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4662297.stm
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Lawsuit: Anna Nicole a Live 8 Lush

The powers that be behind Live 8 want to make something clear to Trimspa: They didn't like Anna Nicole Smith's body.

Organizers of the charity concert have sued the diet company, claiming that its spokeswoman, Smith, besmirched Live 8's reputation with her appearance at last summer's benefit in Philadelphia, where she showed up "scantily clad and "intoxicated" and displayed "unbecoming and erratic behavior," according to documents filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.

According to the lawsuit (available for viewing at TheSmokingGun.com), Smith, who had reportedly been instructed to dress in a manner befitting a family program, turned up at the event clad in a shiny pink vest held together by string at her bust, a look that Live 8 categorized as "totally inappropriate for a broadcast that would be seen by millions of people in the United States and then rebroadcast throughout the world."

The documents further allege that the buxom blonde had perhaps had several drinks too many before making her ill-fated appearance on the broadcast.

"Live 8 also is informed and believes that Ms. Smith was intoxicated at the time," the lawsuit states, alleging that Smith "damaged Live 8's reputation and goodwill in the entertainment industry by her unbecoming and erratic behavior."

However, Smith's lawyer, Howard K. Stern told the British Press Association that his client was neither drunk nor dressed inappropriately and that concert organizers pre-approved the former Playboy Playmate's attire.

"We were aware that it might be perceived as revealing," Stern said. "I was told that she looked beautiful and not to change a thing."

Adding insult to injury, Trimspa not only failed to effectively control Smith, the company also stiffed Live 8 on a $320,000 promotional fee that it had agreed to pay for four 30-second advertising spots during the broadcast, despite the fact that Live 8 threw in a fifth 30-second spot, according to the court documents.

Live 8 is seeking in excess of $500,000 in damages from Trimspa to cover both the cost of the unpaid advertising spots and to compensate for Smith's conduct.

Now that she's dieted her body back into shape, Smith might want to work on her public persona, particularly since the Supreme Court is scheduled to hear her final appeal in the case of her late husband's billion-dollar estate early next year.

Smith has seen her fortunes ebb and flow much like her waist size over the years since oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall II died and left her a widow in 1995.

The former Guess! model has been engaged in a drawn-out legal battle over the estate with Marshall's son, E. Pierce Marshall, who has maintained that Smith is not entitled to his father's fortune.

In 2002, a California court awarded Smith a whopping $88.6 million in compensatory and punitive damages for what it called a campaign of deceit and dishonesty, spearheaded by her would-be stepson, to keep her away from the estate. (The initial reward of $474 million was knocked down significantly by the judge.)

Then, an appeals court in Texas overruled the payoff, claiming a California federal judge didn't have jurisdiction in the case, and dubbed E. Pierce Marshall the sole heir since Smith was not named in the will. An appeal from the Smith camp that tried to reinstate the payoff was then denied in February.

In September, the Supreme Court agreed to hear the beleaguered case and Smith is now looking down the barrel of her final shot at the riches.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

Her lawyer's name is Howard Stern. How appropriate.
who likes movies anyway