Stranded: I've Come from a Plane that Crashed in the Mountains

Started by Stefen, October 20, 2009, 02:35:02 PM

Stefen

Has anyone seen this? It's about the plane that crashed in the Andes mountains in 1972 carrying a College rugby team and their families. Most of them died in the initial crash and 8 of them died in an avalanche that impacted the fuselage they used as shelter. They survived for 72 days by eating their deceased friends/family until eventually two of them traveled 13 days in ice and snow to find civilization to save the rest of their friends.

I've always been fascinated by airplane crashes so when I heard about this I immediately wanted to see it. I had already read the book one of the survivors wrote and seen that horrible movie from the early 90's they made about it (Alive) starring Ethan Hawke, but this completely blew me away.

The way the survivors recall how everything went down is harrowing. It's intersected with stellar recreations as well as photographs they took when they were on the mountain and film footage of their rescue.

It's quite possibly the best tale of survival I can recall.

I highly recommend it. You can stream it on Netflix, so if you have the chance definitely see it. It's really, really great.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.