Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

samsong

Go to //www.dvdbeaver.com and look at the graphic comparison of the current Criterion version of M and the region 2 Eureka DVD.  I got really pissed off when I saw it (as will you... I think).  Plus, "a host of new special features"?  How can you resist?  Plus M was one of my first Criterions and in all honesty, I wasn't pleased with it.  Excellent film but definitely could use the re-release, especially since there's a print that's 4512657986 times better.

But far and away, the Criterion DVD for The Leopard -- a film I haven't even seen -- is a release that has by balls turning blue.  Floating Weeds too... I need more Ozu in my life.

Gold Trumpet

Recent posts at the Criterion forum from "inside" sources speak on possible future titles they claim Criterion is either working on now or will no doubt be working on in the future. The disbelief in this is that anyone could post this information. The belief is that these titles are believable and one of the posters has been correct before on foretelling future titles. The titles include Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic, Francesco Rosi's Hands Over the City and Pedro Almodóvar's Matador. Jon Mulvaney has confirmed that Criterion would like to do the Life Aquatic, but nothing is certain. Criterion did work with Anderson while he was working on Tennebaums so this is possible and more works from the barely touched Francesco Rosi just seemed inevitable. What gives the Pedro Almodóvar rumor credit is just the poster has been correct before on future titles.

Gold Trumpet

Janus Films, parent company of The Criterion Collection, has finally secured rights to Ingmar Bergman's final film, Fanny and Alexander, a film owned by MGM before. The news isn't on a DVD coming, but the sight of this definitely sets a future DVD from Criterion:

On May 21st through the 27th, Janus Films will present a theatrical run of Ingmar Bergman's Oscar-winning film "Fanny and Alexander" at New York's Film Forum, as part of a six week-long Bergman retrospective. The film will be shown with a new 35mm print.

Gold Trumpet

Through the HVE website, Mamma Roma and A Woman is a Woman have been announced for June release. Details are as follows:

Mamma Roma (Special Edition Double-Disc Set)
street date: 6/22/04. Retail: $39.95

• New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound
• Three new interviews about director Pier Paolo Pasolini: Bernardo Bertolucci, an assistant to Pasolini on his early films; Tonino Delli Colli, cinematographer on eleven of Pasolini’s fourteen films; and Enzo Siciliano, author of Pasolini: A Biography
• Pier Paolo Pasolini (1995), a 55-minute documentary by filmmaker Ivo Barnabò Micheli covering the career of the controversial artist
• La Ricotta (1963), a 35-minute film by Pasolini about a director who sets out to make a film about the Passion of Jesus
• Original theatrical trailer
• Poster gallery
• New essay by novelist and cultural critic Gary Indiana
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
• 1.33:1 aspect ratio
• Monaural

A Woman is a Woman
Street Date: 6/22/04; Retail: $29.95

• New digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Raoul Coutard, with restored image and sound and enhanced for widescreen televisions
• An early short film by director Jean-Luc Godard
• Qui êtes-vous Anna Karina: Excerpts from a 1966 French television interview with Karina, Brialy, and Serge Gainsbourg
• Collection of A Woman Is a Woman posters from around the world
• Original theatrical trailer
• New essay by film critic J. Hoberman, author of The Dream Life: Movies, Media, and the Mythology of the Sixties
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
• 2.35:1 aspect ratio
• Monaural

SoNowThen

Get out yer wallets, chaps.

June's a go month!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

edison

godardian

I'm much too unfamiliar with the films of Pier Paolo ("I am a Catholic. I am a Communist. I am a homosexual.") Pasolini, having only seen The Gospel According to St. Matthew and Teorema. It'll be nice to finally get some more in a high-quality version.

I've had Woman is a Woman on DVD for quite some time, but it'll be really nice to have the great print and extras, esp. the Hoberman and the posters. The box art is most excellent, as well.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
A Woman is a Woman

Is it really 2.35:1?  The Fox Lorber DVD is 1.33:1 and it didn't look panned and scanned.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: godardianI'm much too unfamiliar with the films of Pier Paolo ("I am a Catholic. I am a Communist. I am a homosexual.") Pasolini, having only seen The Gospel According to St. Matthew and Teorema. It'll be nice to finally get some more in a high-quality version.

Quote from: Pawbloe, in the Video Rental thread,Arabian Nights:  This was my first Pasolini film.  Sucked.  Using nonprofessional actors and dubbing will get you nowhere fast.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Ravi
A Woman is a Woman

Is it really 2.35:1?  The Fox Lorber DVD is 1.33:1 and it didn't look panned and scanned.

Yep, it was shot wide wide wide.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

wow. A Woman is a Woman looks like it will be amazing!
i wonder what the Godard short will be like?

i figured Fox Lorber always had the original ration aspects, too........but i believe Godard follows this format on his films as far as i know:
B & W - Fullscreen
color - widescreen
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ravi

Quote from: SoNowThen

D'oh!

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: Ravi
A Woman is a Woman

My Fox Lorber DVD is widescreen....    :?:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: godardianI'm much too unfamiliar with the films of Pier Paolo ("I am a Catholic. I am a Communist. I am a homosexual.") Pasolini, having only seen The Gospel According to St. Matthew and Teorema. It'll be nice to finally get some more in a high-quality version.

Quote from: Pawbloe, in the Video Rental thread,Arabian Nights:  This was my first Pasolini film.  Sucked.  Using nonprofessional actors and dubbing will get you nowhere fast.

Those elements in the two I saw worked well enough... though Teorema did have the benefit of Terrence Stamp...

Also, all Italian cinema before a certain '70s-ish turning point is dubbed, so... can't be picky about that if you wanna enjoy Fellini or any of the rest of it.

Ravi

D'oh, I'm stupid, I got this confused with My Life To Live, which is indeed 1.33:1  :oops: