Largo - a new film produced by Paul Thomas Anderson

Started by Marty McSuperfly, October 19, 2007, 01:34:57 PM

Reel

There were a few different Largo threads, but this one seemed the most appropriate. Today on You Made It Weird, Pete Holmes interviews Mark Flanagan, owner of Largo with a wealth of great stories under his belt. This ranks in the top ten best podcasts I've ever heard. Not only is he generous in sharing the details of his own life, but the artists he's very close to, most notably Elliot Smith. I know that a lot of you guys are hardcore Elliot Smith fans, but nothing has ever compelled me to dive into his music before hearing this interview. Without giving too much away, I'll just say that Mark was good friends and closely involved with Elliot up until the last weeks of his life before his disappearance and he's the one guy he reflects about MOST on this episode. I wanted to recommend it just for that, but then it takes this awesome detour into his experiences at a silent movie theater not far from Largo. I don't want to spoil one bit of it, but it feels like "The Jinx" or the greatest first hand account of a "Sword and Scale" episode. Furthermore, he's just a really open and positive guy for all the major ups and downs life has put in front of him. I'm always glad when podcasts introduce me to cool people in such an intimate way as this.

I know what you're all wondering, "Is there any PTA talk?" sadly no, which is surprising because Pete's a huge fan, but they do mention that he was an extra in 'Magnolia'. Can anyone point him out? He looks like this: