Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Started by MacGuffin, February 17, 2003, 02:42:48 AM

MacGuffin

Indiana Jones 4 on Hold Again, Awaiting New Script
Source: Variety

Variety reports that the reunion of Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Harrison Ford for Indiana Jones 4 is on hold again as a new script draft is commissioned. Paramount had hoped to get into production on a fourth film in 2004 for a 2005 release. Frank Darabont had been brought in to script a concept the trio liked, but apparently Lucas wasn't happy with the draft. They will now bring aboard another screenwriter to rewrite Darabont's script.

The trade added that Spielberg had no comment on his plans. Spielberg, Lucas and Ford have been trying for nearly a decade to mount one last Indiana Jones adventure, on the condition that all three had to love the concept and script before proceeding.

Finding an availability window for Spielberg, Ford and Lucas is daunting, and it is now looking like a 2005 production start at the earliest.

Ford, meanwhile, is considering other assignments, and Spielberg is likely to move on to The Rivals, written by Robin Swicord. The DreamWorks drama centers on the catfight between 19th century stage stars Sarah Bernhardt and Eleonora Duse for dominance of the legit stage. Production could begin in the fall or winter, depending on who Spielberg chooses to play the divas.

Spielberg is also said to be interested in a secret project said to be making the rounds.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

what about the Secret Life of Walter Mitty?  or is that not happening anymore?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Quote from: MacGuffinIndiana Jones 4 on Hold Again, Awaiting New Script
Frank Darabont had been brought in to script a concept the trio liked, but apparently Lucas wasn't happy with the draft.

:roll:
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ono

I don't know what's more insulting: that Darabont was brought in to write the script, or that Lucas wasn't happy with it.

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI don't know what's more insulting: that Darabont was brought in to write the script, or that Lucas wasn't happy with it.

None of the above. Harrison Ford is geting old. HURRY. HURRY.
context, context, context.

ono

Haha.

Oh, man, you know this franchise is never gonna die.  You just know they're gonna be digging around for some pretty boy to play Indy's contrived grandson.  Hey, they have a legacy now, since they brought in Connery awhile back.

Sleepless

For fuck's sake guys... c'mon. Hurry up with the next Indy please...!!! I know what you mean, insulting that Lucas didn't like the script, he should take a serious look at the last 2 Star Wars... It'd be interesting to see Darabont's proposed script though (after they've finished -- if they ever do -- the movie though). All news on this subject would be much appreciated - thanks MacGuffin! Who's the new screenwriter they've brought it? Not Lucas!!!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Quote from: SleeplessWho's the new screenwriter they've brought it? Not Lucas!!!

Brett Ratner!!  8)

ono

Quote from: chuckhimselfo
Quote from: SleeplessWho's the new screenwriter they've brought it? Not Lucas!!!

Brett Ratner.  8)
He's not even a writer.  If you want to scare us, you have to say something like Joe Eszterhas (though Lucas is scary enough).

No, but he is a writer!:

Writer - filmography

Whatever Happened to Mason Reese (1990)

EDIT: and speaking of Eszterhas...

ono

Haha.  And I even checked his filmography and saw that before I posted.  But I figured, one film does not a writer make.

Redlum

QuoteKeep in mind... this was last week... before the big announcements about how Lucas rejected the INDY 4 draft despite both Spielberg and Darabont feeling like they'd really nailed it. I'll have an official statement on this from one of the key players in the days ahead, but for now, let's see how we were feeling about the film just before the announcement...

From the AICN Jedi Council thingamajig. It hard to tell how how much of that stuff is just geek rambling (most of it I suppose) but its interesting if it turns out to be true.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16995
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Frank Darabont on the Indiana Jones 4 Script

Ain't-It-Cool-News attended the recent Santa Barbara Film Festival where Indiana Jones 4 screenwriter Frank Darabont explained why his script did not get the green light:

"The short and simple version of the Indiana Jones 4 situation is that after more than a year of working closely with Steven Spielberg developing the story, I had completed a screenplay that Steven loved and was hoping to shoot in July of this year. However, George Lucas had issues with the script and slammed on the brakes in order to rework the material himself. There is talk of enlisting another writer. Given that George is the producer, but even moreso because of their long and close friendship, Steven is deferring to George in this situation.

It is now up to them to try to find a common ground regarding the film. I wish them luck and hope their efforts result in something they're both excited about shooting. What, if anything, might remain of my work at the end of the process is anybody's guess, assuming the film even gets made at this point. As for me, I'm disappointed, but I'm putting the experience behind me and moving on with my life and my own projects."

Paramount had hoped to get into production on a fourth film in 2004 for a 2005 release, but it is now looking like a 2005 production start at the earliest.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

here's proof that george lucas really is the anti-christ.

Sleepless

You gotta admire Darabont for that - he seems upset, but he's taking it all very graciously. He knows that Lucas is just gonna make a hash of it all.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.