how's your Plainview?

Started by JG, January 16, 2008, 12:06:28 PM

cine

this thread is fucking boring.

i ushered in the era of xixax audio clips in late '07 and now we're ALL going to do our part in '08 with this thread!

SO LETS DO IT, STARTING WITH SOMEBODY ELSE OTHER THAN ME.

AUDIO CLIPS OF CMBB IMPRESSIONS.

winner gets a team zissou hat.

Pozer

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

cine

ok that was brilliant but its too bad it wasn't actually pozer. DQ'ed!

B.C. Long

MacGuffin

'Blood' fans drink up milkshake catchphrase
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES — If you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, then you have Hollywood's hottest catchphrase.

Every year, we seem to get at least one. "I see dead people." "I wish I knew how to quit you." Anything from Napoleon Dynamite.

This year's latest cinematic must-say comes from There Will Be Blood, the oil drama in which Daniel Day-Lewis delivers a crushing insult to a nemesis with the punch line "I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!"

Relatively few people have seen the movie — this past weekend, it expanded to about 1,500 theaters and its gross so far is $21.1 million — but the dialogue has taken off nonetheless.

A "There Will Be Milkshakes" video, with scenes from the film playing to Kelis' song Milkshake, has more than 60,000 views on YouTube. IDrinkYourMilkshake.com has become a popular forum to discuss the films of There Will Be Blood director P.T. Anderson.

New York magazine even offers a user's guide to the phrase. It suggests using it as sports metaphor ("The Celtics drank the Knicks' milkshake last night"), a sexual double entendre or a taunt, as in "You'd best back down before I drink your milkshake."

Anderson concedes that he's puzzled by the phenomenon — particularly because the lines came straight from a transcript he found of the 1924 congressional hearings over the Teapot Dome scandal, in which Sen. Albert Fall was convicted of accepting bribes for oil-drilling rights to public lands in Wyoming and California.

In explaining oil drainage, Fall's "way of describing it was to say 'Sir, if you have a milkshake and I have a milkshake and my straw reaches across the room, I'll end up drinking your milkshake,' " Anderson says. "I just took this insane concept and used it."

So have the movie's fans.

Kevin Kunze, 18, a student at the University of San Francisco, says he created the YouTube video "just to get people to see the movie. I loved it. I had no idea it would take off like this."

Nor did Jurgen Fauth, the website creator.

He says he wanted simply to have an audio clip of the line, delivered in Day-Lewis' booming baritone.

"But (Anderson's) fans started using it to talk about his movies, so I made it a forum," he says. "Although I think some people turn up the volume and hit refresh to drive their co-workers crazy."

Not that Anderson minds — or worries that it will undermine the gravitas of the movie, which is up for eight Oscars, including best picture, director and actor.

"I love the YouTube video," he says. "It's completely insane and hilarious. It's crazy what people latch on to."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 04, 2008, 10:11:47 AM
IDrinkYourMilkshake.com has become a popular forum to discuss the films of There Will Be Blood director P.T. Anderson.

motherfuckers!

i'm gonna drink their milkshakes for this.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

idk

Keith Olberman(i think) on msnbc just said it! He was saying something about how Obama won all these states Hillary was leading in the past and in effect he descirbed it an "I drink your milkshake" instance for Obama.

Also I'm sure some of you caught Colbert Monday night say "there will be blood" as he went to "fight" Stewart and Conan.

JG

its getting out of control. this probably belongs in the "stupidest thing" thread, but today i was standing outside of class and overheard two girls talking:

girl 1 (shrek voice): i've abandoned my boy! i've abandoned my boy! (x3)
they giggle.
girl 2: haha whats the from?
girl 1: um, no country for old men.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: idk on February 06, 2008, 01:35:31 AM
Keith Olberman(i think) on msnbc just said it! He was saying something about how Obama won all these states Hillary was leading in the past and in effect he descirbed it an "I drink your milkshake" instance for Obama.

It's really only one step away from working like "owned" or "served." Before long, people like Olberman will be saying, "he really drank her milkshake" (if they aren't already).

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I work at the YMCA for an after-school program with Children.

We were playing dodgeball with the kidd-O's  when I hit my fellow counselor, on the other side, numerous times.   He THEN devoted the rest of the game to scoring me out before we got kicked out of the gym for a Yoga class.

"I'm going to Bury you under the GROUND, Adam," he said. "I'm going to bury you under the ground..."

we are hilarious people.

ReelHotGames

My son just turned 3 and is a high functioning autistic - so he doesn't have much speech yet. We've been teaching him sign language and he picks it up really quick - as well as a sort of hearing impaired vocalization of the speech (though his test don't confirm or deny an actual hearing impairment.)

Okay, on topic - we've been teaching him sign - so I decided to teach him "I drink your milkshake" in sign language.

Classic. A barely 3 year old, doing his best Daniel Plainview with the sign language accompaniment. I thought it appropriate. Plus it's so dang funny when he gets to the "shake" part and his little body just jiggles. Awesome. And if I lived in an area where my phone could access the web (Verizon, your service bites) I would upload a clip to youtube, alas I can not. Sorry. :(
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm