movies assholes dig

Started by pete, October 24, 2004, 11:23:11 AM

mogwai

socketlevel: use the button next time. thanks.

pete

Quote from: socketlevel
the joke was a little post modern so i thought i'd go with it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

meatball

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: meatballi'm not included in that collection. couldn't figure mine out huh?

Who are you?

Your worst nightmare . .  :|

MacGuffin

Quote from: meatballYour worst nightmare . .  :|

budgie?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

How did an argument spring out of this thread?

From what I understood, we were to list movies that pseudo-intellectuals and idiots alike enjoyed.  It wasn't talking abuot the quality of the movie, and it wasn't stating what people exclusively liked it.

It was supposed to be "Man, I like Donnie Darko, but too many stupid people do, too."  Which is an easy observation to make.  So many people are into it because it's "werid" but then there are people who appreciate it on a different level, but I guess this whole discussion is lost on some, then insults get started, and the thread goes downhill.

No one's being elitist for saying stupid people enjoy a movie they enjoy, they were just pointing out how Big Lebowski is a really good movie, but it's annoying that so many people watch it once and call it their favorite movie, or just think it's some stoner comedy.

But, whatever, I'll just wait for another socketlevel post, then another responding pete post, and we'll make this thread 17 pages long.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

it's even simpler than that--just assholes--they don't even have to like a movie for the wrong reasons, they can like it for the whatever reason, they just have to be assholes.
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobHow did an argument spring out of this thread?

Welcome to xixax.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Yeah, welcome to Xixax..... asshole.

MacGuffin

xixax - Where assholes are like opinions: Full of shit.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Thrindle

Quote from: MacGuffinxixax - Where assholes are like opinions: Full of shit.
Marquee That.
Classic.

socketlevel

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobBut, whatever, I'll just wait for another socketlevel post, then another responding pete post, and we'll make this thread 17 pages long.

cool, thanks for taking the ride with us.

but seriously i think i've made my case, you won't have any more from me.

on a side note i saw a great film tonight that you guys should check out if you get the chance (and i searched for it and nothing came up on the site, so sorry if it has already been talked about)

It's "The Five Obstructions."  brilliant film and i think so far the best of the year.  it's a documentary about how lars von trier absolutely loves this 1967 film by jorgen leth called "the perfect human."  He loves it so much that he meets up with leth and tells him he's seen it twenty times.  so he proposes a game with leth, where leth has to remake "the perfect human" almost 40 years later.  however this time there will be obstructions, it is lars' quest to have leth make a poor movie.  trier thinks leth is a perfect filmmaker and wants to humble him.

in their first conversation trier lays out the guidelines for the first incarnation, the film must be shot in Cuba (which leth has never been to), there can be no sets (which the original did, thx 1138 style) and finally no shot can last longer than 12 frames (half a second)!  it seems absolutely insane but leth embarks on the task at hand.  They show all the films made by leth in this feature.  The result is a beautiful film, which is absolutely mesmerizing to watch.  The tricks leth plays with to work within these rules are worth taking note of.

the feature goes off from there, and the obstructions become more insightful of leth's character and equally ridiculous in their own right.  there are five versions of "the perfect human" made in total, each one with new obstructions.  during the journey we see these two influential men talk about art and how they make incredible films.  They are both very charismatic and the ability to watch their interplay is entertaining and educating.

go check this out if you get the chance, hopefully it will get released on dvd.  i think there is chance because of trier's status as a filmmaker.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Quote from: socketlevelon a side note i saw a great film tonight that you guys should check out if you get the chance (and i searched for it and nothing came up on the site, so sorry if it has already been talked about)

It's "The Five Obstructions."

haha sweet irony, pete started a five obstructions thread, you two are more alike than you care to admit.    ASSHOLES!!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

whoa

hahah, way to be three months late you sack of shit!  "meh, five obstructions is art, meh, <snort> meh."

I guess now I can add Five Obstructions to my list.  thank you!
- Buster Keaton

socketlevel

you got me, oh you got me.  I'm so humbled.

one word of advice, don't cum too soon buddy, they don't like that.  the post modern comment (that was in refference to the joke you made, not me.  but i bet you were so smug when you quoted me saying it) was to show the pretense of YOUR joke not mine, thanks for quoting me and re-iterating my point.  It just seemed right for me to go along with it.

too bad you just can't let it go, and too bad you're adding that to your list.  sems like you've changed the criteria for "asshole."  glad to be of service.

send me the forward then, i can't seem to find it.  we'll get back to your boring posts.  so you can be angry at nothing, yet again.

you know it's really interesting how you joined xixax only three or so months before i did (you know the same amount of time this sack of shit missed out on you getting indie-cred becuase you started a post that maybe 50 people will read) and yet you've made over ten times the amount of posts.  you got a lot of time on your hands.  If all your posts are at the quality of this thread, well shit...  shit...  I honestly can't think of anything witty enough to equal how pathetic that is.

-sl-

does anyone else actually agree with me?  or am i alone on how much a fucking cock this guy is.  you know, like the guy in highschool that just didn't know when to end the joke.  see, either to soon or too long.  too bad:(
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Quote from: socketlevelcool send me the forward then, i can't seem to find it.

Quote from: With the link attached, petewhoa

Skeleton FilmWorks