S-VHS

Started by Ravi, February 05, 2004, 07:30:12 PM

Ravi

Is there any physical difference between VHS and S-VHS tapes?

metroshane

Yes.

OK, I'm done being a smart ass.  The cartitridge and tape are the same physical deminsions...if that's what you mean.  But  you know...the characteristics of the data on the tape is still done by a physical process...so yeah, there is a difference physically.  So your SVHS will fit into your VCR...it just won't play.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ravi

There are blank tapes that are labeled S-VHS, so I'm wondering if there is some other difference on the shell.  Maybe the tape itself is better quality?

metroshane

The shell is exactly the same as normal VHS, but the resolution on the tape is better...and unfortunately isn't compatible with regular vhs.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

TheVoiceOfNick

VHS and S-VHS tapes are exactly the same, phsysically.  They do, however use different formats for storing information... but if you use a magnetic bulk eraser on an S-VHS or VHS tape, you can use them on either system.  I used to do this all the time with ADAT audio recorders... they would only take S-VHS tapes... so i'd bulk erase the tape, pop it into the ADAT machine, record all the way through with no inputs, then the tape would be ready to use for audio recording... it would cost a lot cheaper to do it that way...

metroshane

Good idea nick...so if you bulk erase a VHS, then you can record SVHS on it?

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: metroshaneGood idea nick...so if you bulk erase a VHS, then you can record SVHS on it?

Only if you pop it into an SVHS recorder.  It's like removing the format of a hard drive, then being able to format it for any operating system... same concept.