UC Berkeley Q&A Session - Mar 9th

Started by Trent, February 25, 2006, 06:25:07 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: md on March 13, 2006, 10:37:04 AM
just, here he is, ask him some questions get your shoes signed?  I am very jealous
Yeah, surprisingly.  No films shown.  No questions from the moderater.  He just came out and started taking questions.  Super accessible.  We were all pretty close to him.  It wasn't a big stadium or anything.  It was smaller than a lot of classrooms I've been in.  I'd call it pretty intimate.  A couple of people walked right up to him during the Q&A to hand him something.  It was a pretty comfortable atmosphere, but still always a special moment.  And that was pretty amazing, because for me, this was as big a "celebrity meeting" as could be.  He's probably the biggest hero of mine, and I really enjoyed finding him to be so approachable.  It was inspiring to me, actually.  I think it always is when you meet your hero, and be able to poke through that mythic cloak and see him as a person.

The room wasn't totally packed.  And it felt like maybe 2/3rds of the people were Berkeley people who just enjoyed his movies and thought what the hell, might as well come see him, and then 1/3rd were die-hard fans, who travelled many a mile to see him for just a couple of hours.  I guess he's not as generally well known as I had thought...  For most of the people in the crowd, this was a pretty cool way to spend the evening, and for a select few, this was a night that would generate untold good vibes that could basically radiate throughout their life in a one-good-thing-leads-to-another sort of way.

Hopefully that conveys the mood of the evening for you.  The more I think about it, the more important and special it was to me.

P.S.  He did not specifically mention Maya's name.  A couple of people mentioned his "girlfriend," respectfully.  His mention of Fiona was only in discussing Extraordinary Machine (what happened with Brion and Apple during that, to which he replied "you'd have to ask them."), the Paper Bag video, and the show with Elliot Smith.

john

Quote from: elpablo on March 12, 2006, 01:09:04 AM
He didn't seem like the kind of person who can be put on the spot and easily come up with answers and a lot of questions were answered with long "umms" and "I don't knows."

i'd answer with a lot of "I don't knows" too if fuckers kept asking me obtuse shit like, "What did the color blue represent in Punch-Drunk Love?" "Why the car crash?" The man is an artist, not a mathematician.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

pete

I saw him at the harvard film archive during the punch drunk love hype and most kids just asked dumb questions about symbols and influences and things like that--things any self-respecting filmmaker would distance himself from.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

That's what you gotta love about the guy.  He obliges to the crap questions as nicely as possible, but eventually gives an "I don't fuckin' know" instead of a bullshit answer.  Just like how he would respond to say a FrunLg or a Popsup or some of you others here.  You know who you are.

FrunLg

i'm sure paul would be more than happy to discuss his PHC experience, is that a bad question? whats the deal?

hedwig

Quote from: FrunLg on March 13, 2006, 02:45:02 PM
i'm sure paul would be more than happy to discuss his PHC experience, is that a bad question? whats the deal?

I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION ALREADY GO READ THE INTRODUCTION THREAD

FrunLg

yeah i read it bro, this is all i remember being said regarding my question: (except for when he relayed his experiences hanging out with Altman, including right before and after Oscar night.)

I don't think PHC was ever specifically addressed was it?

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: FrunLg on March 13, 2006, 03:10:43 PM
yeah i read it bro, this is all i remember being said regarding my question: (except for when he relayed his experiences hanging out with Altman, including right before and after Oscar night.)

I don't think PHC was ever specifically addressed was it?

Welcome to Xixax, where you will be eaten alive.

Neil

Not only do i envy all the people who were there, but i think i envy the people who live in berkeley just because they were in the same state as PTA.

Shit.

Oh and by the way FrunLg and Popsup "eaten alive" is an understatement
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

"Can't we get along...? Can't we all just along?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Red Vine

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 15, 2006, 09:42:50 PM

"Can't we get along...? Can't we all just along?"

I expected someone to say that at the end of "Crash".
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

fulty

I liked the way Jack Nicholson said it in Mars Attacks..!!
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Neil

I expected someone to say that at the end of "Crash".

Awesome.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RedVines on March 15, 2006, 09:45:05 PMI expected someone to say that at the end of "Crash".

Quote from: RedVines on September 03, 2005, 06:51:38 PMI seriously think there's way too much "Crash" bashing going on here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Red Vine

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 16, 2006, 12:56:38 AM
Quote from: RedVines on March 15, 2006, 09:45:05 PMI expected someone to say that at the end of "Crash".

Quote from: RedVines on September 03, 2005, 06:51:38 PMI seriously think there's way too much "Crash" bashing going on here.

that's not bashing, that's just the truth.

maybe I'm just pissed about BBM not winning.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">