The New Format - SECOND ACCOUNTS STILL NOT ALLOWED

Started by MacGuffin, February 09, 2004, 04:52:21 PM

MacGuffin

Questions? Comments? Better? Same? Worse?

The administration would like to hear your feedback.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reed Rothchild

I really liked the banners with the random movie shots ;)
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

The Silver Bullet

No "Feature Presentations"?
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reed RothchildI really liked the banners with the random movie shots ;)
Don't worry... the stuff at the top is unfinished.

Xixax

An official announcement is forthcoming.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

context, context, context.

modage

it's crazy.  change is so weird.  i like the new logo and like that the avatar sizes dont change the size of your window width (like on teh temp version a few months ago), but itll take getting used to.  its harder to see which topics are new, because of hte dots, and not a different color, (which is more readable.)  and the banners w/ill be cool when they come.  uhhh, thats all.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

I see 'Donations' has been added to the top.  I hope this isn't a precursor to a closing-up-of-shop (as has been with other places I've visited in the past).  There's nothing I would like more than to throw the site some bling, but sadly, there's not enough bling to go around these days.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Weak2ndActI see 'Donations' has been added to the top.  I hope this isn't a precursor to a closing-up-of-shop (as has been with other places I've visited in the past).  There's nothing I would like more than to throw the site some bling, but sadly, there's not enough bling to go around these days.

With a donation would I receive special treatment?

Site looks really good. you guys did a great job with it. Very easy on the eyes and refreshing, dont clutter the top too much and make sure that it stays in theme.

props to all the admins.  really i am convinced that these are happy times at xixax. best internet forum.
as a suggestion, i'd like the color of the buttons changed, you know,  the ones that used to be a red folder.  just make it a little darker .
context, context, context.

prophet

will get use to it, good job nice colors.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Gloria

I like it. It's nice and tidy, but not too different from the format before. Nice job.

Xixax

Here's the complete story.

Last week, I announced to the admins that my passion for Xixax was failing. Not because of anyone here, mind you. It's just that my interests (as they so often do) are beginning to really refocus and I'm not into the film scene as much as I once was.

When you compound that with the fact that I'm generally unable to dedicate enough time to the site in areas that need attention, I decided that rather than do a half-ass job of running a movie forum, I'd turn the lights out.

I offered the site to each of the administrators. If any of them wanted to assume the financial responsibilities of the site, they could have it. When I was asked "how much does it cost to run Xixax?" I did a little math and figured that my company donates the "retail equivalent" of about $200 per month on bandwidth alone. When you add the hosting trades that we do with the sites we advertise on, the figure comes to more like $400 per month.

Granted, that's not our COST - it's what we'd charge someone off the street for everything associated with the site (including several gigs in the download areas, and yes, we had a hidden archive of the C&C boards online in here before, too).

I then figured our hard costs of running the site. Which was still more than any one admin could shell out.

We put our heads together, and decided that we could run the site much more affordably if we got rid of some of the bandwidth and storage hogging forums like Feature Presentation. And, with that, we were able to pare down Mad Dancer's cost on running the site to something more along the lines of about $25 per month. That's not our profit, mind you. That's what it costs us to run.

The admins decided that they could all shell out a few bucks each month to keep the lights turned on at Xixax after I step out of the picture. But, I really didn't want them to have to do it all themselves so I begged them to allow me (as my last act as head honcho) to open up a donations area where everyone could share the burden of the site breaking even.

So, that's where it stands. The goal is $25 per month. Not unreachable by any means. And, it'll all be collected via paypal.

If Xixax doesn't meet the $25 per month goal will I still shut it down? Probably not. But if there are no substantial donations from the site over a couple of months, then I might let a couple of the admins know that things are slow so they can cattle-prod you all for some assistance.

As I've told the other admins, this isn't about money. It's really about my passions moving elsewhere. I don't want to let the site just sit here and cost my company money each month, but if it can just pay for itself at the very least, then its future will be secure. Plus, I'm considering everything on the hosting end at cost - no markups.

So that's the story. After the transition is complete, the admins here will have collective say on everything. There will no longer be anyone able to veto or push through suggestions. I'm relinquishing ALL control of the site to the admins currently in power.

Long story short, I'm not going away mad, I'm just going away.  :wink:

Plus, since goatse.cx has been taken off line, this place just isn't any fun anymore.  :twisted:

I will work on the donations page this week. In the meantime, if anyone wants to donate a few bucks now to kick things off in this new era, you can paypal cash (US Dollars) to paypal@maddancer.com.

$25 pays for a month!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

ono

MacGuffin

We're still working on some things behind the scenes and an official statement will be made in the coming days.

Quote from: themodernage02its harder to see which topics are new, because of hte dots, and not a different color, (which is more readable.)

Quote from: chuckhimselfoas a suggestion, i'd like the color of the buttons changed, you know,  the ones that used to be a red folder.  just make it a little darker .

Hmmm....the diamond is dark when new posts are in the thread as opposed to the light blue when there are none . Are they not dark enough to notice?

And how many of you actually suffered something missing in your lives when the site was down for a few hours like I did?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks