Mel Brooks

Started by cine, September 02, 2003, 05:27:56 AM

cine

See, now I have no problems with this because I recently got this DVD above, and in it, Brooks is shown talking about how it'd make a great film adaptation, and I agree. So I'm looking forward to this one, especially since it's starring Lane and Broderick.
On a sidenote, Lane quips to Brooks on the DVD about how the film adaptation would star Danny DeVito and Ben Stiller. For any fans of the Producers, this DVD is GREAT.

MacGuffin

Nicole Kidman is Ulla in The Producers
Source: Variety

Nicole Kidman will play Ulla, the hysterically sexy secretary to Max Bialystock (Nathan Lane) and Leo Bloom (Matthew Broderick) in the big screen version of Mel Brooks' The Producers.

Susan Stroman, who'll direct the film version, told Variety of the Kidman casting, "I'm so excited, she's so versatile." Stroman adds that the film, like the play, takes place mostly on stages -- but there also will be exteriors -- like on Shubert Alley, "with all the eccentric characters who really live in New York."

Brooks and Thomas Meehan are busy writing the film script to start shooting next February, with a release at Christmas 2005. Universal handles the domestic distribution with Columbia taking foreign.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

:shock:
My life will be complete if The Producers is a big Oscar movie in 2 years.

Quote from: MacGuffinNicole Kidman is Ulla in The Producers

but she will not be doing Lars Von Trier's Manderlay nor  Washington... *sigh...
context, context, context.

Ravi

Who is doing Mr. Belvedere's part?

modage

Quote from: chuckhimselfo.but she will not be doing Lars Von Trier's Manderlay nor  Washington... *sigh...
Quote from: RaviWho is doing Mr. Belvedere's part?
Mr. Belvedere is in the Von Trier trilogy!?!? maybe i do want to see them after all...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Mel Brooks is so hit and miss for me.

Ex.  Young Frankenstein...I really love this movie, probably one of my favorite comedies.

On the otherhand, Blazing Saddles I've watched numerous times and I just don't find it to be funny.  Alright, you insult all the races and ethnic groups, etc but still, not that funny.  I just don't get what people see in it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Warner Home Video's next batch of two-disc special editions due in May will include the Blazing Saddles: 30th Anniversary Special Edition.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffinThe Producers Moving Forward to the Big Screen

Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane have reached deals to bring The Producers, Mel Brooks' hit Broadway show, to the big screen for Universal Pictures. The two stars, who just began their second Broadway run, have signed deals to star in a film adaptation. Filming is set to start in early 2005, with a late 2005 release planned.

Universal Pictures has acquired domestic rights for the feature adaptation which will now become both an adaptation of the Broadway play and a remake of Brooks' 1968 film, which starred Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel.

Other key members behind the stage show are also said to be on board, including Brooks, who will produce, his co-writer Thomas Meehan, and Susan Stroman to helm.

The producers of the musical version of "The Producers" talked about this, nothing that hasn't been said here though.  I saw them at a panel discussion on wednesday.  It was interesting, although my knowledge and interest in broadway is minimal.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

I guess this is a good time to say that Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan are currently writing the book for Young Frankenstein!

cine

Quote from: themodernage02Warner Home Video's next batch of two-disc special editions due in May will include the Blazing Saddles: 30th Anniversary Special Edition.
Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Blazing Saddles 30th Anniversary Edition for 29th June 2004 with a retail price of $19.97. Mel Brooks' comedy western gets the special edition treatment with the following features present...
2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
New Dolby Digital 5.1 mix
Spanish Mono
English, French and Spanish subtitles
Scene specific commentary by Mel Brooks
Cast/Crew reunion documentary
Intimate Portrait: Madelaine Kahn Remembers
Black Bart, the 1975 TV Pilot inspired by the movie
Additional Scenes

Also...

Will Ferrell in Talks for The Producers

Variety says that Will Ferrell is in talks to play Franz Liebkind, the wacky Nazi playwright of "Springtime for Hitler" in the film of the musical The Producers.

He would join Mel Brooks' already-set New York cast of Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Roger Bart (Carmen Ghia), Gary Beach (Roger De Bris) plus Nicole Kidman as Ulla.

Susan Stroman directs the film as she did the legiter. And in her first feature Stroman plans to "open up" the legiter with scenes such as the little old ladies chorus emerging from their Park Ave. apartments and dancing their spectacular number on walkers -- down Park Avenue.

Ravi

MacGuffin

SPACEBALLS Gets Animated
Mel Brooks farce will be animated for the small screen via Brooksfilms and MGM Domestic TV. Source: FilmStew.com

Get ready for more Pizza the Hut, with oozing cheese and pepperoni sliding down his face. BFC Berliner Film Companie has partnered with Brooksfilms and MGM Domestic Television Distribution to create an animated television series based on the classic Mel Brooks comedy Spaceballs.

Under the agreement, BFC and MGM will produce an hour-long pilot and 13 half-hour episodes. Additionally, MGM will distribute the program in the U.S., Canada and internationally (with the exception of Germany).

Brooks and Thomas Meehan, who together co-wrote the original screenplay, will write the pilot and supervise writing on the rest of the series. Brooks and BFC CEO Rainer Soehnlein will serve as executive producers, and Brooks will provide the voice of two main characters, President Scroob and Yogurt, as he did in the film.

Spaceballs was released theatrically in 1987. The film's storyline focuses on President Scroob, who sends Lord Dark Helmet to steal Planet Druidia's abundant supply of air to replenish that of his own planet. Only the hero, Lone Star, can stop the evil plan.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

After a long time I watched Spaceballs and I didn't find it nearly as funny as I did before.  It has some pretty good jokes at times, but there were quite a few dry patches and jokes that seemed forced, and Bill Pullman isn't too funny either.  Also, why wasn't this shot in 2.35:1?  Gotta love that oh-so-eighties song at the end, though.  "We're the Spaceballs!  Watch out!"

MacGuffin

Mel Brooks Creating A Young Frankenstein Musical?

After turning his film The Producers into one of the most successful Broadway musicals of all time, it's being rumored that Mel Brooks might be looking to do the same thing with Young Frankenstein. Easily a classic, Frankenstein starred Gene Wilder as the grandson of Dr. Victor von Frankenstein who, after discovering granddad's diary and inheriting his spooky castle, makes an attempt to create his own monster.

Young Frankenstein was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Sound and Best Adapted Screenplay) and is set to hit the streets of New York in 2007.

Skeleton FilmWorks