Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

Robyn

No fucking way will that happen. That's ridiculous, right?

The holocaust was a mass tragedy. If you turn that into a revenge story, then fine. Everyone will think it's a blast. But this is like an intimate murder... how could you watch these pictures of Sharon Tate and be like "oh, I'm gonna turn this into some fucking revenge fantasy"? I mean, maybe he will do that,  but then he have to be tasteful about it. And i'm not sure how that is possible.

Robyn

Idk, he is for sure walking on a thin line here... hopefully he'll manage to pull it off somehow.

Alethia

I have faith. My feeling is more the murder happens and then Leo and Brad low-key start investigating the crime themselves, stumbling across Spahn Ranch, the Family, etc... It was a stretch of three or four months post-Tate/Labianca before Susan Atkins started blabbing and Charlie and Co. were fingered for the murders. Lots of rogue investigating crews were sniffing around LA fall of 69. Roman Polanski hired people; Paul Tate conducted his own personal investigation; I feel like Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson funded something similar...perhaps Leo and Brad get caught up in a scenario like that? Brad, as seen in the trailer, fake-fights Bruce Lee with seeming success, and Bruce Lee coached/was friendly with Sharon Tate - perhaps he introduces the two of them?

It's fun to speculate.

Robyn

She's not pregnant in any of the videos/pictures of her, so I'm thinking it will happen towards the end?

All of his recent films has been about the violence, ending with big shoutouts/very violent climaxes. Hopefully this is a return to the hangout vibe we saw in Pulp Fiction/Death Proof/Jackie Brown. These films were violent for sure, but the violence wasn't in the foreground like in Django/Basterds/H8. I am thinking that it will mostly happen in the western series within the film/in the background.

Robert Richardson described it as a very different film with a lot of small set pieces in it, which makes me very excited bout it . Just give me some great cinematic dance scenes/parties/hangout scenes with some good Tarantino-esque music and I am happy lol.

Alethia

There was an on-set pic recently leaked that showed a scene being filmed depicting a very pregnant Sharon with Jay Sebring, Abigail Folger, and Voytek
Frykowski in tow, all dressed in what an aficionado like me recognizes as the clothes they died in (the men anyhow), presumably on their way to El Coyote for that famous last meal roughly 3 hours before the carnage.

WorldForgot

I dont think the murders have to be prevented for the summer of 69 to be revised into pulp revenge.
Also, it's so far from a "thin line!" This is the kinda cult culture dissection that gelz with Tarantino's 3-dimensional carnage. Instead of pigz or nazi's, it's something insidiously built into our own fav medium.

Drenk

All these glamorous shots of Tate are worrying, though. Will she have a storyline? I know that the world of cinema is intertwined with the murders, so I can imagine the characters being in a party with Tate, etc. But from the little we've seen it seems like she will be a character with her own separated storyline? That's complicated. Especially if she's isolated from the rest of the cast, being the woman that will be killed. If I had to write that story, I would not have cast an actress as known as Margo Robbie, and she would have been kind of there since it's Hollywood—but also she would have been kind of not there.

I'm very curious to see how he'll deal with it.
Ascension.

Sleepless

I think these theories are way off base. This is Tarantino's Inherent Vice-cum-Boogie Nights, I think it'll be more about celebrating a specific era and then wallowing in its demise. I really don't see this being a revenge movie. Maybe it's actually about his dealing with the collapse of the house of Weinstein and his own complicity in everything that went on there, with the Leo-Pitt relationship serving as some sort of substitute as we track them from their glory days to irrelevance as the movie business shifts. It was aways said that the Manson murders were just a part of the backdrop, so it makes sense that that's the painful event which triggers/culminates the massive shift in their lives as we hurtle into the third act. If this speculation is true, maybe (hopefully?) we don't even see the violence this time around, just it's aftermath.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Sleepless on March 21, 2019, 11:55:41 AM
I think these theories are way off base. This is Tarantino's Inherent Vice-cum-Boogie Nights, I think it'll be more about celebrating a specific era and then wallowing in its demise. [...] It was aways said that the Manson murders were just a part of the backdrop, so it makes sense that that's the painful event which triggers/culminates the massive shift in their lives as we hurtle into the third act. If this speculation is true, maybe (hopefully?) we don't even see the violence this time around, just it's aftermath.

Hmm, it's just that even as a backdrop in IV the cult plays a major role in its themes.  Here we have the family in play and Spahn ranch cast with notable names. The OUATIH you describe is closest to the movie I'd want to see QT illustrate, where Charlie doesn't seem too dissimilar from our co-stars, their narcissism and pretender crowns exposed. It's just a teaser, obvi, but Sharon Tate would, in this sort of dichotomy, represent the innocent idyll (veneer?) of Hollywood.

Alethia

Quote from: Sleepless on March 21, 2019, 11:55:41 AM
I think these theories are way off base.

Very likely yes lol. But until we get something firmer it's all I can do is theorize.

Something Spanish

can't believe it's a mere 4 months from arriving in theatres

wilberfan

Alethia

Now THAT is a poster. Why don't the studios hire these people????

Robyn

Yeah, that's awesome.

I still can't get over how uninspired and bland the real posters are, but at least there's talented fans out there who makes stuff like this.

wilberfan

Hope this isn't too Reddit-y (or self-serving.  Wilder will let me know  :wink: ), but here's some extensive video from the Hollywood Blvd set from last July.  (Interested observers can spot me standing at the entrance of Larry Edmund's a couple of times: White T, cargo shorts, cap.)  (Quentin even ducked inside the store on a couple of occasions to get a closer look at some of the books the art dept had set up.)  We had a lot of fun for those 3 days.  I even learned (from overhearing a conversation between Tarantino and Richardson) what a "Dutch Angle" was.