Songs Currently Stuck In Head

Started by Lucinda Bryte, October 22, 2003, 03:45:29 PM

blackmamba

Every song from Sgt. Pepper's gets stuck in my head at least once a month.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: godardianIs that 8 Women soundtrack widely available?

I coffdownloadedcoff....

And I spent the whole fucking day whistling the Twisted Nerve theme..... god damn I have Kill Bill running in my blood
Si

TheVoiceOfNick

"In My Other World" by Julie Cruise (no relation to Tom, I think)... I need to get her albums...

Sleuth

I don't understand why this isn't in Real-Life Soundtracks

Rainer Maria - Artificial Light
I like to hug dogs

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SlobhI don't understand why this isn't in Real-Life Soundtracks

I don't understand why Titanic won 11 Oscars
Si

Pedro

You can do what you want to whenever you want to
you can do what you want to there's no one to stop you
elliott smith - ballad of big nothing

Sleuth

El-P - Deep Space 9mm
(no relation)

Damn, this is good.  Cool video too
I like to hug dogs

cine

Top 3 Songs That Get Stuck In Your Head

1. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"
2. "Baby Back Ribs" jingle from Chili's Restaurant
3. "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

Call it the playlist from hell. But the real No. 1 song that gets stuck in our heads is different for each of us, according to University of Cincinnati marketing professor James Kellaris. He's done so much research on this odd and annoying phenomenon that he has coined a term for it: earworm.

He told The Associated Press that earworm is unexpected and insidious. It might be the first song you hear on the clock radio that wakes you up. It could come from an elevator or the CD playing in the cubicle next to yours. "There are certain tunes that we would describe as catchy that are more likely to become one, but just about anything can become an earworm," he told AP. His personal earworm is Byzantine chants, which he suspects has something to do with his wife's job as a church choir director.

Stuck songs have these traits in common:

- They are relatively simple.
- They are repetitive.
- They contain an element that surprises the listener, such as an interrupted pattern or something that violates expectations of what comes next.
- The most common culprits are songs with lyrics.
- They stay stuck in our heads for a few hours on average.

There is no cure, but these treatments sometimes will work to rid your brain of the repetitive earworm:

- Don't worry about it. (If you take this advice, just don't listen to Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" or you're sure to trade one stuck song for another.)
- Listen to different music.
- Distract yourself with another activity.
- Try singing the entire song--and not just the snippet that's stuck in your head--even if you can't quite remember all the lyrics.
- If that doesn't work, go find the forgotten lyrics. Kellaris theorizes earworm is the brain's attempt to resolve missing information. By finding out the complete lyrics to a song, you might be able to "unstick" it.
- Erase the offending song by singing the theme from "Gilligan's Island." (We have no idea why this would work, but if you're desperate...)
- There's even a folklore cure: Chew on cinnamon sticks.

Fun facts about earworm:

- Women experience more irritation and frustration than men do from earworms.
- People who are constantly exposed to music suffer from it more frequently.
- There may be a connection between earworms and a person's level of neurosis. (Uh oh.)

The research was presented at the Society for Consumer Psychology.

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

godardian

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange"Vamos" by the Pixies

Funny, reading this put "Monkey Gone to Heaven" into my head, and now it's lodged there...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

phil marlowe

Quote from: CinephileTop 3 Songs That Get Stuck In Your Head

3. "Who Let the Dogs Out?"
that's really funny. fifty barking negroes inside my head, noooooo...

Fernando

Quote from: Cinephile
There is no cure, but these treatments sometimes will work to rid your brain of the repetitive earworm:

- Try singing the entire song--and not just the snippet that's stuck in your head--even if you can't quite remember all the lyrics.

I've done that, and it does work (for me at least), even though didn't knew about this study until you posted it which is great BTW.

Quote from: Cinephile

- Erase the offending song by singing the theme from "Gilligan's Island." (We have no idea why this would work, but if you're desperate...)

That doesn't sound right, I rather stick with my song.  :wink:

classical gas

sittin at the dock of the bay,
watchin the tide roll away,
so i;m just sitting at the dock of the bay,
wasting time.....

Newtron

El Duderino

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme....i dunno why. i woke up this morning and was brushing my teeth and started singing "So this is a story all about how..."
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?