animal collective

Started by JG, July 05, 2007, 09:06:49 AM

I Love a Magician

Quote from: squints on July 22, 2007, 05:37:38 PMdo you remember when you'd download a popular song from Kazaa and when you listened to it it was a scrambled digital mess? that's what peacebone sounds like to me.

did you just listen to the first 45 seconds or what

homesick alien

I think this album can certainly be called their best, or at least their most accessible. There's more of a focus on pop structure and lyrical substance. I love the last song "Derek". I think it closes out the album rather well. Also, if you haven't listened to it yet, Panda Bear's album "Person Pitch" is excellent as well.

Stefen

I'm going to listen to it tonight.

Top 100 album all time? Most definetely.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

I Love a Magician

i like most all of the songs a lot (esp. for reverend green, peacebone, and fireworks) but something about the production doesn't sit right with me. 'feels' is one of the best sounding albums i've heard because it makes me feel like i'm somewhere when i listen to it. no certain place, but all the songs remind me of different towns and farms i've been to. the new one's great but for some reason the production almost reminds me of a pop album in how it sounds.

Stefen

So, do you think this will get universal praise? It's definitely one of the greatest albums of all time (so I've heard).

I predict 10's across the board, and 5's if it's rated out of 5. A+'s and shit.

I'm gonna listen to it tonight FINALLY! WISH ME LUCK!!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

Pitchfork rated it less than 10. What the fuck do they know?

I'm going to spend some quality time with it this weekend and form my own opinion.

squints

I seriously thought pitchfork was going to dismiss this album. But they didn't. This masturbatory review coupled with their recent review of the new modest mouse album has completely convinced me that Pitchfork reviews are worth next to nothing. (actually, I think i was convinced that PF was bullshit a long long while ago but for some fucking reason I keep reading it.)

Quote from: The Onion
Music, a mode of creative expression consisting of sound and silence expressed through time, was given a 6.8 out of 10 rating in an review published Monday on Pitchfork Media, a well-known music-criticism website.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/pitchfork_gives_music_6_8
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

squints

So last night I saw Animal Collective and I have to say it was one of the most boring lifeless performances I've ever witnessed.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

colbent

Quote from: squints on September 24, 2007, 07:36:16 PM
So last night I saw Animal Collective and I have to say it was one of the most boring lifeless performances I've ever witnessed.

yeah i kind of love them but am completely unexcited about seeing them live this time around, actually i didn't even.

and strawberry jam is kind of lame

tpfkabi

did anyone enjoy the performance on Conan?

i've heard a couple of the songs from the record and will probably get it, but i did not enjoy what they played on Conan.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

squints

i thought it was interesting that here is their first national television performance and they play one of the stranger, shorter, droning tracks from Strawberry Jam that doesn't even highlight avey tare's vocal abilities and they didn't play the hits from SJ like Peacebone or For Rev. Green. In the last couple of months I've realized that this is how animal collective rolls and i have to respect them for never playing what they're expected to play and basically doing whatever the hell they want but that sometimes (more often than not) makes for a pretty boring live performance.

tpfkabi

i don't know what kind of vocal effect Tare (i'm assuming he's the non-Noah guy) had going on.
sounded demonic.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

Merriweather Post Pavillion is one of the best albums I've ever heard. It's perfect. Everything about it. Front beginning to end, it's so good.

Avey Tare has one of the best voices in music today.

I'm seeing them in June. Can't wait.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.